PDA

View Full Version : 34 days till B4

prospector
09-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Well time for another 14th type thread.

I say the end of OCT B4 will be hitting our computers with some super amazing stuff. Been awful quiet on the San Antonio front. I hear rumors that everyones computer except Chucks have had their cable internet wires cut so no leaks could get out.
And closest to correct date will get a page of :thumbsup: 's and :jester: 's accorded to him/her by other posters.

So let the date and theories begin!!

:goodluck:

robk
09-19-2007, 11:11 PM
What is B4?

G M D THREE
09-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Yea prospector, lay of the acid dude. 8~ You are sounding cryptic.

lol

///

geothefaust
09-20-2007, 12:41 AM
15 OCT

History stack
Minor rigging & animation tweaks
Consolidation of Modeler and Layout

Yes please. :)

Phil
09-20-2007, 01:30 AM
I want the entire animation system replaced, including the deformation system. Then I can swear less.

No rush. Tomorrow will be fine - I'll wait :devil:

*Pete*
09-20-2007, 01:44 AM
November 3...i want a birthday beta.

prospector
09-20-2007, 02:53 AM
well I figured I didn't have to type Beta 9.4 so I just put B4.... 8~

StereoMike
09-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Actually I like modeler separated. I'm learning xsi right now, and for the first time doing 3D feels like work...
LW is really something for us dumb ones. I hope it will keep that up.

mike

-edit-
cool postcount (me)

Cageman
09-20-2007, 03:45 AM
I would like to see rewritten lights, especially Arealights. They need to get alot faster. :) Then I would like to see easy to use tools for multipass/multilayer rendering (lets call it 'Native Surpasses'). General boosting of all things rendering (GI, shaders etc).

Make Modeler as kick-*** as possible; consolidation of tools, speed up meshediting about 600% or something. :)

That would make a sweet LW9.4 in my book. :)

archijam
09-20-2007, 05:24 AM
Agreed, stereomike - the one thing I hate about Maya is it tries to be a swiss army knife that does everything, but in reality I find it just as awkward as that would imply ..

Give me my '80s rambo hunting knife with fishing line and compass in the hilt (standalone modeler). Just add some freakin' laserbeams .. ;)

j.

Andyjaggy
09-20-2007, 08:05 AM
New lighting.

Faster mesh editing in Modeler.

Ability to render higher poly count scenes.

That's all I ask.

DogBoy
09-20-2007, 08:34 AM
New lighting.

Faster mesh editing in Modeler.

Ability to render higher poly count scenes.

That's all I ask.

All that plus no more kitties

That's all I ask :D

prospector
09-20-2007, 08:38 AM
I only need;
100 fold speed increase for dynamics calculations.
Motion Mixer to REMEMBER morphs
The 5.6 text tool
to have VHs calculate EARLIER in the process so it shows in mirrors

and my last bug-a-boo.... CCTV to go over 20 recursives

Andyjaggy
09-20-2007, 09:20 AM
You can take my cat avatar when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

What's so great about the 5.6 text tool? That was before my time.

prospector
09-20-2007, 09:54 AM
What's so great about the 5.6 text tool? That was before my time.
Took any font on your computer, made it into tube letters AND made it all quads so it could be nicely Sub'd.
Try that with the new text tool.
So easy to make all those neon signs

T-Light
09-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Wow, you really think there'll be a beta 4? I've been thinking of a b5 nearer christmas time or the New year.

Likely I'm just out of touch, the psychic abilities left me after predicting LW 10 for Siggy 07 :o

Limbus
09-20-2007, 10:19 AM
What would really surprise me would be:

working undo in Layout

Florian

Andyjaggy
09-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Took any font on your computer, made it into tube letters AND made it all quads so it could be nicely Sub'd.
Try that with the new text tool.
So easy to make all those neon signs

That's awesome. Why did the change it I wonder?

Working undo in Layout............ I try not to think about how ridiculous that whole situation is.:bangwall:

gerry_g
09-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I'd just settle for multi threaded everything, text I can do in modo, or else where

prospector
09-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Why did the change it I wonder?

I suspect that not many knew about it, or made many advert signs in LW that used neon tubing, so there was no outcry to put it back. It's the only reason I still have 5.6 on computer here. The text tool just won't work in newer than LW6.
But seeing as more and more people are getting into architecture, it would really be a big help....I suspect

manholoz
09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Why not integrate hub and modeler BUT have a "switch GUI" button where the hub button is right now? So diehard separatists and integrators can have it both ways....

Wickster
09-20-2007, 12:50 PM
It'll probably be awhile till we get an announcement, the next OB could be anything from this point on, I'm guessing the CA tools won't show up till later since that would require a full rewrite from the ground up.

The more probable possibility is major work on modeler (consolidation, CC fix, new tools and features) or UI redesign/update. I think this because these seems to be a little accessable to the dev team by recoding whats already there. VS. recreating the whole CA system from scratch.

My opinion ofcourse.

Either way though, I'm game. :thumbsup:

T-Light
09-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Wickster -

I think this because these seems to be a little accessable to the dev team by recoding whats already there. VS. recreating the whole CA system from scratch.
I thought they'd started the process of rewriting the code months ago, wasn't there some new stuff under the hood even going back as far as 9.2? I don't think it was very usefull for anyone using .2 or .3, it was more streamlining - core stuff ,written specifically for what's coming. I could have misinterpreted of course, I just seem to remember something being said at the time.

Matt
09-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Why start a rumor thread based on no evidence whatsoever!!!!!

Chris S. (Fez)
09-20-2007, 04:22 PM
I bet we won't see anything in the way of Betas for at least another 4 months.

Would love to lose that bet, btw.

T-Light
09-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Matt -

Prospector = Mischief :devil:
Mind you, I'm with him all the way :thumbsup:

When was the last time we had a thread turn from waiting for a LW release though Starwars nostagia through network cancellations through notepad rendering through LW spilling our pints and knicking our girlfriends?

Bout time for that thread, that thread...
IS HERE :devil: :D :thumbsup: :help:

prospector
09-20-2007, 05:17 PM
because anyone could be right :D
because everyone could be wrong :D
because it's been so long since last betas :D
because T-Light is right ? :D
because it ups the post counts ?

Because it's FUN !!!!!

IMI
09-20-2007, 05:33 PM
10:37 AM, CDT, October 9, 2007.

I'd like to see some fast fast fast OGL in Layout. And I'd like to see a brand new VIPER which acts more like FPrime, but doesn't need to be rendered into the buffer first, and which does render spotlight shadow maps.

Hmmm - shadow maps that render transparency.

Viewports that can be duplicated and broken away in both modeler and Layout, changed to any of the viewport options, and dragged to a second monitor, ala modo.

Ummm, the ability to delete all previous actions in Modeler, basically wiping the undos clean if I feel like it. I hate it when I accidentally undo past a subtle change, or something not so obvious like adding polygons to an existing part. That sucks. I mean, I want to have all 128 undos, but be able to reset it.

I'm not really counting on seeing any of the above, except maybe a little more OGL speed in Layout. :p

Andyjaggy
09-20-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't think anyone has the slightest idea what is coming in the next beta. It is all a complete guessing game right now, until NT decides to maybe tease us with some videos or something.

Wickster
09-20-2007, 07:02 PM
It would be a boring nightly newscast if all the news were based on the truth and no rumor/speculation whatsoever. :D

Plus this thread would be dead ASAP if no rumors are posted. Heheh

T-Light
09-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Wickster -

It would be a boring nightly newscast if all the news were based on the truth and no gossip/speculation whatsoever.
Correct Sir.
Utter nonsense coming your way ASAP.

IMI
09-20-2007, 07:24 PM
The new "Make Art" (v 2.5) Modeler plugin looks like it might be promising...

T-Light
09-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Now then, see, that's not what we had in mind at all...

Do gooders, what is the world coming too....:D

arsad
09-21-2007, 02:43 AM
what about cache files for networkrendering, e.g. Radisoity cache... ;-)
would be nice to have that in the next cycle of nine

Yamba
09-21-2007, 03:44 AM

Bet it's not available for mac, we just have to be creative on our own, typical!:grumpy:

DogBoy
09-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Bet it's not available for mac, we just have to be creative on our own, typical!:grumpy:

Well duh! Everyone knows Macs are just creative. Only PCs need this feature.

cresshead
09-21-2007, 04:51 AM
1.bring everything into 'layout' but still keep modeler around for those who just want to model objects.
2.make a newtek :lwicon: version of cat/biped/automotron so that charater animation is fun and not like having teeth being pulled.
3.make it play well with other apps regarding import/export capablities.
4.breakout the renderer as a stand alone product option that can be used with max/maya/xsi...by the sound of what jay rth has said that the renderer ''is'' now a module anyway [see photoshop renderer from newtek]
5....this won't be popular but seeing as all new mac's can run windows...kill or stall ALL mac development and move those programers over to intel/windows lightwave development...once the re write is complete start to port over to a mature OSX [the new one coming out in oct]
that's to say behave like the zbrush developers...make a killer app THEN start to port it to mac/linux.

cresshead
09-21-2007, 05:03 AM
my only other thoughts are this...

stop development of the windows version totally [think about it]
make lightwave a OSX only app for version 10...go after the OSX
market share for 3d apps....currently you only have maya, cinema and modo
to contend with and modo can 'just about' animate a camera and a box
so really the only opposition is maya for osx..cinema is a very small % of installed users so lightwave can stomp all over them and it's much cheaper
than cinema and maya.

lightwave 10 could be the top app in that niche market area on mac.

DogBoy
09-21-2007, 05:07 AM
Thems fighting words, mr. Cress. I like it. But can you imagine the up in arms PC users if they did that :D

cresshead
09-21-2007, 05:52 AM
well future development for lightwave has limited programming team and i'd like them to FOCUS on developing the app on 'a o/s platform' and not diluting the work between osx and windows.

lightwave needs to redefine it's place among the ever crowded market...
being on mac only could be the way forward..or only being on windows..
heck only being on linux:D could be an option too [maya and xsi are on linux]

i think osx could be the best option as there is limited competition on that platform and lightwave is the cheapest full app option currently as well.

put this into the mix....adding a MAC to run lightwave is pretty cheap thesedays
and all new mac's can also run windows via bootcamp/parallels so no one woudl be left out if they want the new reborn lightwave for a modest investment in a 3d graphics workstation lfrom a mac mini to a 8 core mac pro.

manholoz
09-21-2007, 07:53 AM

You forgot the "scantily clad buxom babe" and "cheesy" buttons :devil:

ivanze
09-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Were that text tool in 5.6 version a plugin?

DogBoy
09-21-2007, 08:58 AM
well future development for lightwave has limited programming team and i'd like them to FOCUS on developing the app on 'a o/s platform' and not diluting the work between osx and windows.

Well there are only 2 mac devs, if memory serves. So, though I like your idea, I'd say there would be a lot of time getting other members upto speed.
I don't think it is needed, most of the core code must be shared and only 2 people are need to make the final LW Mac code.

lightwave needs to redefine it's place among the ever crowded market...
being on mac only could be the way forward..or only being on windows..
heck only being on linux:D could be an option too [maya and xsi are on linux].

Linux, though a great OS, isn't "friendly" enough just yet. We also have no idea if any of the team are happy coding for it. Otherwise it would need a probable 2 more members of staff. Nil points.

i think osx could be the best option as there is limited competition on that platform and lightwave is the cheapest full app option currently as well.

put this into the mix....adding a MAC to run lightwave is pretty cheap thesedays
and all new mac's can also run windows via bootcamp/parallels so no one woudl be left out if they want the new reborn lightwave for a modest investment in a 3d graphics workstation lfrom a mac mini to a 8 core mac pro.

Though i see your point, you would lose a lot of users as you would force them onto a new platform. A lot of folks wouldn't like that, as they will see it as NT dropping their platform of choice and moving away from them, the users.

I like Macs. I like OSX. But I think a lot of people might be turned off by having to invest in "overpriced, designer" PCs. Even if the hardware is now cheaper, it has a cache that some won't swallow.

Right now, NT alienating (more of) their userbase in that way is something they are unlikely to try.

Or was this a veiled way to lose Stooch and Neverko from the forum ;) :D .

DogBoy
09-22-2007, 04:13 AM
I think it's just fine as it is now, NewTek has Chilton to handle the Mac port, and most of the core code, I imagine, doesn't really care if it's running on OSX or Windows. That's what compilers are for - the rest is handled by one dedicated dude with a Mac fetish.

Two guys with a mac fetish. David Vrba is also an Apple afficinado

gerry_g
09-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I vote neverko does the next 'Buy a Mac' ad for Apple, either that or go knock back a few Gammal Dansk's and have a quite lie down ;-)

gerry_g
09-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah I tried the stuff, took about four or five tequila slammers to get the taste out of my mouth, this was Nietz’s Piano Bar (God knows how you spell it) in Copenhagen, too long ago to remember

IMI
09-22-2007, 01:32 PM
What's Gammel Dansk? Beer? Some kind of wine? I found something called Gammel Dansk Bitter Dram - don't know if it's the same thing or not, but it seems to be some kind of liqueur.
http://www.northerner.com/html/sys-dk_761hel.html

Aside from that, I can't see any software manufacturer that builds for Windows going Mac only. That'd be just plain stupid - financial suicide, probably.
They go Mac only, they might as well say to all their PC customers, sorry, but screw you - it's been real, but we're outta here.
Of course, we all know that isn't going to happen anyway - unless Microsoft manages to kill itself off, which it appears to be trying to do....

IMI
09-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks, but no thanks - gave me a stomachache just looking at it. ;)
I'll stick to Guinness Stout and Bacardi rum and Coke and be perfectly happy. :D

*Pete*
09-23-2007, 02:26 AM
I read a small article about LW in 3dworld magazine.

they said that NT wants to show people that they do not have to pay for the next update after 9.5...so maaaaaaaybe we wont get a beta 9.4...but 9.6 instead!! :D

IMI
09-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Or maybe we'll get a 9.5 and then a 10.0 for free. ;)

*Pete*
09-23-2007, 03:07 AM
well......i hope they label it something like "9.8" or "9.99".

i mean...9.4 sounds like "still improving 9.0"

9.5 sounds like "halfway there"

9.99 would sound like "almost there"

the following betas after the 9.99 would be labelled as 9.992, 9.993 and so on

prospector
09-23-2007, 03:10 AM
9.4=Instancing + small CA tools
9.5=Major CA tools
9.6=Viper faster than FPrime
9.7=MotionMixer remembers morphs
9.8=Hair Dynamics :thumbsup:
9.9=New type HVs

prospector
09-23-2007, 03:16 AM
10= importation of ANY mocap file directly onto object WITH FULL and TRUE motion dynamics in realtime
10.5= Newtek scores coup-de-gra by getting all ZBrush developers with promise of box of Krispy Kremes daily for each

IMI
09-23-2007, 04:38 AM
22.5 - New Newtek Brain Interface plugs directly into USB 7 port and directly renders whatever is in your imagination.
Brain Interface plugs into SafeNet dongle, which is permanently attached to your brain through your ear.
The left ear drivers have problems at first, so they advise everybody uses the right ear dongle until it gets sorted out.

xav
09-23-2007, 04:47 AM
11= You no longer need a computer. Lw11 run right within your head.
...bad news, we still use a dongle....aouch!

dballesg
09-23-2007, 05:32 AM
11= You no longer need a computer. Lw11 run right within your head.
...bad news, we still use a dongle....aouch!

Bah! LW 11 would be distributed as a liquid nanite solution. The user could correct software failures in the spot and the exchange of files and renders can be done by shaking hands! :) A chain of several LW users holding hands would create an instantaneous renderfarm! :) If the user shake hand with a developer that would create an instantaneous feature request implemented! :)

StereoMike
09-23-2007, 06:20 AM
I like dballesg ideas.

NT hire him.

mike

IMI
09-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Bah! LW 11 would be distributed as a liquid nanite solution. The user could correct software failures in the spot and the exchange of files and renders can be done by shaking hands! :) A chain of several LW users holding hands would create an instantaneous renderfarm! :) If the user shake hand with a developer that would create an instantaneous feature request implemented! :)

:lol:

dballesg
09-23-2007, 11:07 AM
I like dballesg ideas.

NT hire him.

mike

They wouldn't do it due to the extreme biological experiments I will expose the development team to get the technology out in time! :devil:

manholoz
09-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't like the dballesg idea so much. Unless there was a human chain linking me all the way to Texas so I can get my instant feature request implementation!

dballesg
09-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't like the dballesg idea so much. Unless there was a human chain linking me all the way to Texas so I can get my instant feature request implementation!

I said a developer, not ONE on the development team! :)

IMI
09-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, but Autodesk would probably pick up on the technology, as well as, I'm sure, many other developers.
It would get kind of weird after a while, seeing a bunch of nerdy dudes walking around holding hands. :D

dballesg
09-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah, but Autodesk would probably pick up on the technology, as well as, I'm sure, many other developers.
It would get kind of weird after a while, seeing a bunch of nerdy dudes walking around holding hands. :D

The LW 11 nanite version would convert on gardeners any Autodesk executive or user that try to shake a LW users hands! :) That would be the equivalent to our actual dongle protection! :)

c i k l o n
09-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Eny rumors about CA Tools like this ?

http://www.luvictu.com/reel/victor_vinyals_demo_high.mpg

prospector
09-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Already like that, cept for goofy menu.
Called IKB