PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the R-4 Pro for field recording

delirious
09-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Hello all,
I have an Edirol R-4 Pro field recorder that I am planning to use for a shoot this weekend. I haven't had, and will unlikely have, much time to play around with the settings before the shoot. I'm especially concerned about how well the files from the R-4 will import into VT 4.6. Anyone have any tips regarding 16 bit vs. 24 bit audio, 29.97 vs. 29.97D timecode. Also, the manual said that by recording 4 channels of audio mono the WAV files from each mic will be saved in a pjt file? Never heard of this one, will it play well or will the computer/VT fail to recognize it? Any advice?

Gary Robinson
09-20-2007, 11:23 AM
I've never used the Edirol R-4 Pro but I'm looking into getting one because of the tc support. Here's a review of the R-4 (not pro) that suggests you should be really prepared for battery drain (bring extra batteries) and might consider using 16 bit instead of 24 bit 2 save power and space.

http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_item.php?category=Hardware&articleId=185303642

delirious
09-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Well,
I've had a chance to work with the R-4 Pro a little bit. The biggest problem is that I can't open the .wav (BWF) files in VT without crashing, so I've had to use them in Vegas until I have time to figure out the VT issues (Would somebody please work on getting VTs audio up to speed like every other NLE has done! It's really a pain to have to use third party audio processing to supplement VTs shortcomings in the audio arena!) Overall, I found the audio recording levels to be a little low with some mics, but if you record at 24-bit you have plenty of signal to work with and I think the unit will really be helpful when we need to capture a few extra channels of audio.