PDA

View Full Version : Audio Issues - Please Help!!!

McFilms
09-19-2007, 07:57 AM
9.2 & 9.3 UB crashes when trying to load wav files or aiff files for syncing characters with audio. On my iMac G5 (1.9 GHz with only 512 MB RAM), both wav and aiff files work with no problem with my 2nd copy of Lightwave Ver. 9.0 (upgraded from 8.5).

This new copy of Lightwave 9.2 was purchased specifically for lip syncing chores, and we're behind. Please help!!!

note: the audio files were re encoded from aif files in Quicktime 7, as 44.1 KHz uncompressed wav files.

Hardware configuration:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
Machine Model: PowerBook6,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz Boot ROM Version: 4.7.5f1

Built In Sound Card:
CODEC: Texas Instruments TAS3004
Sample Rate: 44.1 KHz
Number of Inputs: 2
Number of Outputs: 2
Devices:
Input:
Type: Line Level Input
Input:
Type: Internal Microphone
Output:
Type: Headphones
Output:
Type: Internal Speaker

Video:
GeForce FX Go5200 32MB:
Chipset Model: GeForce FX Go5200 32MB
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0329
Revision ID: 0x00a3
ROM Revision: 2069.1
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
MW19B-AAD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported

Memory:
DIMM0/BUILT-IN:
Size: 256 MB
Type: Built-in
Speed: Built-in
DIMM1/J31:
Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR SDRAM
Speed: PC2700U-3033 Status: OK

AljenHoekstra
09-19-2007, 08:40 AM
I've tried some audiostuff a few days ago with the 9.3 UB, hoping it was fixed. But unfortunately, it's still not working (at least on my machine). I did get the files loaded (aiff seems to work best) but playbacks and previews just don't work at all. Very slow playback or no playback at all.
(Reading your specs, I wonder why you try to run the UB on an G4? That's not an intel system right? But i might be wrong).
Good luck...

Chilton
09-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi,

UB should be faster on all systems, not just the Intel Macs. We tested the audio in beta, and it appeared to work at least as well as the PC version at that time. I'll take another look.

-Chilton

paul summers
09-19-2007, 09:15 AM
"it's still not working"
yes same here not working

Chilton
09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
BTW guys, I need specifics regarding what is working and what is not working. Here are the basics I will need to know...

What kind of file are you using?
About how large is the file?
About how long is the file?
Does it load the file?
Does it play the file?
Does the audio sound weird?
Does it scrub forwards and backwards?

Thanks,
-Chilton

McFilms
09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
AljenHoekstra: Chilton pretty much answered the question. When I called San Antonio support, they suggested UB as well for my iMac G5, due to a need for faster rendering times. Thanks for the good wishes!

Chilton: After another call to Texas, they suggested a lower bit rate for the conversions from aif to wav. The lowest sampling rate I could pick in the Quicktime conversion was 8.00 KHz. I tried that, and other rates all the way up to 44.1, but still no luck. I'm up the creek without the ability to do this, in a big way.

McFilms
09-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Chilton: Here's a bit of info you needed;

Original file: aifc format, re encoded with quicktime 7 pro to wav, with the following settings:

Format: Linear PCM
Channels: Mono
Rate: 44.100 kHz
Sample Rate Converter Settings: Quality @ "Faster"
Linear PCM Settings: Sample Size @ 8bits (Little Endian, & Unsigned)

Running time: 11 seconds

File size: 480 KB

UB & 9.2 (Mac32) Behavior: File appears to load via classic scene editor without crashing, but won't play through the same. When "Clear Audio" is selected, the software crashes. Also, no waveform is visible on the scrub or keyframe timelines. Just on a lark, I tried to load, close editor, and pressed play but no dice still, forward or backward. Another thing I tried to do was open the new scene editor after trying the classic one, and the software crashed straight away. Same if I loaded the scene fresh without loading the audio or trying to use the classic scene editor.

McFilms
09-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Audio problems:
Audio issues still not resolved. I spent way too much time on the phone with tech support (with some of the calls never making it through), only to be made to feel like I wasn't even being listened to once I did speak to someone, then had it suggested that the issues may lay in the system. Message was left with tech support, and no calls returned.

Trust me, I won't plan on calling support for any other issues from this day forward (so relax folks :) ).

Accountability:
How interesting, that the first step in the cases of "some" are to blame another's hardware/software. While you're getting ping ponged around from one entity who denies everything, to yet another who does the same, clients are walking away, and money that is so hard to come by is pissed away. I think it's a shame that the genius that goes into creating the items are so often diminished by phone calls trying to get help from those who did not create them in the first place.

Hardware/software requirements:
All of the minimum requirements labeled plainly on the cover of my copy of Lightwave 9.2 (and those listed on the Newtek site) are met. If the software isn't compatible with Power Books, then where is that indicated? This was not labeled as beta when it arrived, so what gives?

"The Little Fish" syndrome:
I may not have tons of cash, or have the fortune to be a big animation house, but by God I work myself to the bone to cover the expense of everything I own in hardware and software. I also volunteer countless computing hours toward worthwhile charities in an effort to give back to the world, utilizing those same tools.

Before you call...:
Now, before someone asks the inevitable "Who was it you talked to?", let me say that it is not my intention to wreck another's job, so please don't bother. Not to mention that it's never been a fix to problems experienced on the machines or in the programs.

On the positive side, and one name I need to mention:
I want to say a big "Kudos!" and "Thanks!!!" to Chilton who did try to help. Chilton did not treat me as if I and my problems was some kind of joke, and I do appreciate that. I'm not a tech. I'm an artist who has abilities to create the art on a computer, and I deeply respect the abilities of programmers who make that possible.

Tasking myself:
I will make a sincere effort to learn more of the "technospeak", to allow me to understand, via reading "user boards", how to resolve my own problems.

To Chilton:
I went a bit of "old school" on it with a twist, created a video clip (via Final Cut Pro HD) and rendered text onto the key areas needing lip syncing (and generated a visual timecode), then exported it as a video file with the cinepak codec. I imported that into Lightwave 9.2 as my background plate, and simply followed the type as I saw it in the camera pane, and on the side (2nd monitor) I utilized Quicktime player to play basic video clips with the audio intact and the same text in the same key places to verify sync/key placement. It's a bit off (not to mention time consuming, @ 8 hours of editing w/4 minutes of dialog) , but it works. I would not exactly suggest this as a "workaround" for anyone else, as it's not an easy task when there are three visual elements to keep track of, but THANK GOD for the graph editor and the ability to slide keys until it looks proper. I think my solution amounted to nothing more than a video version of a 2d animation cue sheet (and I was also able to insert action directions to myself by doing this).