PDA

View Full Version : Linux Render Engine

Puma
02-08-2003, 07:28 AM
I heard from the NewTek people at Siggraph last year that there will be a Linux render engine soon. Any idea if is actually being worked on? I'd love to make a small Linux Render Farm. I'm also betting that individual frames will render much faster on Linux than Windows or Mac. Much less overhead to deal with. This would definately be a big boon for NewTek.

Puma
02-08-2003, 04:27 PM
From the internet connection in my cave, I hadn't seen any official press releases. I was hoping that it was going to happen.

Skonk
02-08-2003, 05:36 PM
A full linux version of lightwave would be great, though i do like windows xp a lot, linux does as puma pointed out have a much lower overhead and with the gfx card support ppl like nvida now offer linux would be the os of choise for me if more of the software i used supported it. The Mac OSX version of lightwave is fast and stable (more so then the windows? i dunno cos iv never used it on osx myself) and as i understand it OSX is built around linux so i wouldn't of thought a linux version would be that hard to do.

James..

Puma
02-08-2003, 09:36 PM
The only reason why I run Windows at all is to run Lightwave. Everything else I do runs in Linux. NewTek should be happy that I'm willing to put up with the inadequacies of Windows just to run Lightwave. Getting a Linux Render Engine is a step in the right direction. I hope that direction will continue.

Jimzip
02-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Yeah, OSX is very stable, and also fast.
We're using Win98 at the course I'm doing, and it doesn't like Lightwave very much, so i'm glad to come home to my G4...:rolleyes:
Jimzip:D

Qslugs
02-13-2003, 11:10 AM
So where's this post at that mentions the patch? I think the messenger missed my cave as well. :)

markus
02-21-2003, 03:46 PM
Yes, I am also desperately waiting for a full version of LW on Linux. By running it as a network server at home first, I got some experience with it, and now I am about to jump ship completely with Windows as I have learned enough of Linux to use it day by day. But wait a minute! Lightwave runs under Windows and I am earning quite a bit of money with it, so doh, I'm stuck ;)

Ok, enough talk, at least give us a Linux ScreamerNet node ;)

cck
03-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Lightwave for Linux! Yeah this is my one wish/request. I've been so disgusted with Windows that I've made the move to linux a while ago. I'm running a distribution of linux called Gentoo (if you're into or curious about linux look up this distribution, it's amazing... one word... PORTAGE)
...well anyway the only reason I still have a windows partition is to run Lightwave, Photoshop, After Effects, etc...
...I'm happy about this linux support for LW's rendering engine... but don't you think there'd be more news about lightwave pushing towards the a full blown linux version??? I mean A|W has already implemented this in their MAYA 4.5 (and i'm sure i'm not the only one that wishes he could get the Unlimited and run it in linux without any emulation or wine interface layer.... uuuhhh drooool). Well just imagine if Lightwave had a version for linux based machines... for Newtek's competitive price... running on the stability of linux... and rendering on a farm of linux boxes over night... oh man i feel like i'm wishing for the world... but if such a version existed, I would thow down the $$ in a second...

am i the only one that feels like this???

Qslugs
03-02-2003, 10:56 AM
I as well would love to get rid of Windows altogether. I think it's a bloated resource hog.

pixelmonk
03-03-2003, 12:01 PM
I'm one of the many who could care less. I have all of my apps and hardware working in Windows with no problems. Pleasing the Linux community would be nice.... less complaining. :) Either way, I'll all for making LW a stronger community, which would possibly mean including Linux.

harlan
03-03-2003, 02:06 PM
OSX is not built on Linux.

NewTek will most assuredly (based on their previous announcements) release a Linux Render Node for Lightwave. The Linux Render Node itself, I'm sure, is incredibly simple to create; the issue is more likely related to Plug-In support.

Any render time plugin would have to run on the OS the Render Engine is running under; so not only would NewTek have to recode a lot of their plugins, but third party developers would also be faced with the task of recompiling everything for Linux.

It'll all be in due time I'm sure, but I as well am growing anxious.

Take care all

Puma
03-03-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm sure they will eventually build a Linux version of LightWave. They are probably waiting for a certain level of desktop maturity. At the moment Linux is still a little behind, but very stable and fairly mature.

Two years ago at Siggraph I asked one of the NewTek reps when they were going to make a Linux version. He said, "Never. If I had 50 other people come up to me today and ask that same question we would probably start working on one. But you are the first." The rep that was behind him said that he had at least 2 dozen people ask him. The rep I was talking to was quite surprised.

I suppose that's why they are making the render node. It's a logical first step and probably the main reason people want LightWave to run on Linux; making a render farm without having to pay for OS licensing for each cpu.

Personally I don't like the direction Microsoft is going with Palladium. I don't want them to dictate what I can and can't install on my own machine. A computer is suppose to be a tool, not a straightjacket.

Qslugs
03-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Well, the render node would be Layout without the interface. Hmmmm......

wapangy
03-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Most of all, I want a new type of network rendering system, screamer net II, is a pain in the arse to get working right....

What ever happened to stealth net?

d|vZilla
03-03-2003, 10:29 PM
M$ is the most arrogant company I know and convicted criminal...

we will see....

U.S. Army's Future Combat System Will Run Linux:
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/ic/fcs/bia/faq_c4isr_conf.html

SGI Altix 3000 Supercluster (Linux)
http://sgi.com/servers/altix/

TOP500 List for November 2002:
http://www.top500.org/list/2002/11

Sites with longest running systems:
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

Microsoft quits OpenGL board:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/29555.html

ABSOLUTELY-CONTROL, OVER, the end-use' of personal-computers:
http://www.notcpa.org/

pixelmonk
03-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by d|vZilla
M$ is the most arrogant company I know and convicted criminal...

So are MOST car manufacturers, drug companies, oil companies, food companies, restuarants.. who cares?

markus
03-05-2003, 08:15 AM
Flame threads are no solution either. Let's keep it at a good level.

I actually submitted the last link from 'the register' to cgchannel since they didn't seem to have noticed yet.
Interesting development, I would say.

wapangy
03-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by pixelmonk
So are MOST car manufacturers, drug companies, oil companies, food companies, restuarants.. who cares?

I do

pixelmonk
03-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by wapangy
I do

What are your plans then? Continue to whine or do something about it?

wapangy
03-05-2003, 05:44 PM
What are your plans then? Continue to whine or do something about it?

I don't whine. I am doing something about it, I'm using Macs instead of Windows. It's simple really.

Quicksilver
03-06-2003, 04:24 PM
well well well...

I should have seen this post earlier before posting the poll in the main forum.
There is no way windows can handle confrontation with Linux or Mac.
So pixelmonk...untill you get to learn a little bit about serious computing, I suggest you sit in front of your windows machine and reboot,just like you do everyday.

I live with the hope that one day I will sit in front of my computer and launch Lightwave using Linux.
And I can tell you this much...I will not use windows for long.I better get a Mac rather continue using windows...

wapangy
03-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Well what do you know, They just released 7.5b with the Linux renderer.

Now I have to stop myself from buying a Linux box to render..... :)

Panikos
03-07-2003, 07:34 AM
I wonder if Linux_SN_Client is faster than a windoze one, and if plugins can be executed. At least I was expecting some kind of readme for this new fruit:confused:

markus
03-07-2003, 09:42 AM
You won't be able to run any plugin which was not specifically compiled for Linux. This is the same situation as for the Mac; not a surprise though.

What does bother me, is that it seems to be very buggy and I haven't been able to get it to render at all. And I am NOT a linux newbie.
Let's hope NT comes out with some extra infos on how to use it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong which I can't know because it's not documented...

Ade
03-09-2003, 05:05 AM
Few questions:

Is this Linux render engine x86 Linux as well as PPC linux?

Can this render engine be comiled for OSX?
Is it needed to be ported to OSX or does rendering via screamernet do the same thing?

Lightwave Linux wont have dx or optimised Opel GL?

markus
03-09-2003, 06:59 AM
Is this Linux render engine x86 Linux as well as PPC linux?
Seems to be x86 only.

Can this render engine be comiled for OSX?
Probably. Depends on NewTek.

Is it needed to be ported to OSX or does rendering via screamernet do the same thing?
I can only interpret this question, as to whether LW itself is needed on PPC Linux. No, in that case.

Lightwave Linux wont have dx or optimised Opel GL?
A native version of LW for Linux would only have OpenGL optimizations.

Ade
03-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Good replies, clear and precise.

I have read though alot of scientists DO use PPC linux. Yellowdog sells Bricks that run PPC linux distros. G9000 from Marathon were the first to sell G4 server like rack mounted macs running OS9, X and Linux sold as one.

Then again isnt this render engine just Screamernet for linux, if so we have this for osx already.

d|vZilla
03-10-2003, 06:56 PM

Longhorn
Office 2003
Server 2003
TCPA, Palladium
DRM

Who needs this?

You get _nothing_ for your money.

Win2k is the last M$ OS I will ever use!

Phil
03-11-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by markus
You won't be able to run any plugin which was not specifically compiled for Linux. This is the same situation as for the Mac; not a surprise though.

What does bother me, is that it seems to be very buggy and I haven't been able to get it to render at all. And I am NOT a linux newbie.
Let's hope NT comes out with some extra infos on how to use it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong which I can't know because it's not documented...

You've actually been able to get it running without a segmentation fault? Here all I get is the aforementioned segmentation fault as soon as either runsn2.sh or runsn3.sh try to bring up lwsn. I had to add /usr/share/lwsn-7.5b/programs to /etc/ld.so.conf (SuSE 8.1) to get this far.

Since there are no docs, I'm stumped. Suggestions would be welcome; I've emailed [email protected] as well.

Anttij77
03-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Phil
You've actually been able to get it running without a segmentation fault? Here all I get is the aforementioned segmentation fault as soon as either runsn2.sh or runsn3.sh try to bring up lwsn. I had to add /usr/share/lwsn-7.5b/programs to /etc/ld.so.conf (SuSE 8.1) to get this far.

Since there are no docs, I'm stumped. Suggestions would be welcome; I've emailed [email protected] as well.

You MUST give it the "ack" and "job" files, or it will give segmentation fault... It seems there is no checking for it, and if the user gave nothing it will try to open non-existant files, hence segmentation fault!

markus
03-11-2003, 07:36 AM
I have tried running the node with '/usr/share/lwsn-7.5b/runsn2.sh -d/mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan/Lightwave/Content/Misc/ /mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan/Lightwave/ScreamerNet/job2 /mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan/Lightwave/ScreamerNet/ack2'

It does register as a rendernode on the Windows machine, but as posted above, it'll then try to find a drive G: when rendering starts. Drive G is the same Samba-share as the one mounted under '/mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan', but only on the Windows side where LW is running. The '-d' command seems to be ignored.

--

And for those of you who want to run the node through wine, here's a command that you can use to have a KDE shortcut on your desktop:
'konsole -e wine -- "C:\Program Files\Lightwave\Programs\LWSN.exe" -2 -cG:\\Lightwave\\Configs -dG:\\Lightwave\\Content\\Misc G:\\Lightwave\\ScreamerNet\\job2 G:\\Lightwave\\ScreamerNet\\ack2'
You'll have to put your Samba-share into the wine config under '~/.wine/config' for it to work.
The entry would be
[Drive G]
"Path" = "/mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "LAN"
"Filesystem" = "win95"
in my case.
Of course, all plugins and scripts will have to reside on the network drive as well, and they have to be entered with the network path in the various LW config files.

Quicksilver
03-13-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by d|vZilla
Longhorn
Office 2003
Server 2003
TCPA, Palladium
DRM

Who needs this?

You get _nothing_ for your money.

Win2k is the last M$ OS I will ever use!

;)
bravo!
;)

ammonm
03-21-2003, 03:28 PM
amen to that!

this linux render engine is a good start for an entire release for linux. i just hope it comes some time in the next year or so....

PLEASE NETWEK!!! Give us what we want!! (and pay for!)

Panikos
03-22-2003, 03:13 AM
I think that the hardest part was the Linux SN client.
This includes the rendering calculations and connection with the Operating System and plugins.

The GUI part is rather easier. Maybe I am wrong.
:D

Lets see how plugin developers will enbrace Linux.
As far as I know, even Mac porting isnt that pleasureful.

Jimzip
03-23-2003, 06:53 AM
Two questions: (and sorry if I'm a bit slow, but I'm new to this sort of stuff..)

1. Is there documentation for using ScreamerNet that comes with LW? (If so, where?)

2. Is it possible to get a version of Linux that I can install on a partition of my Mac HD? I know RedHat and Debian don't work on Mac PC's, and I'm willing to make my own PC just for using Linux to render, but I'd rather do it an easier way..

Thanks for being patient..
Jimzip:D

LSlugger
03-23-2003, 11:33 AM
ScreamerNet is documented in chapter 19, "Distributed Rendering," of the reference guide.

There are Linux distributions that will run on a Mac. However, the Linux renderer is compiled for the x86 (i.e., Intel) architecture. You might be able to run Linux for x86 with a product like Virtual PC, but I wouldn't recommend it. I certainly wouldn't call it the "easier way."

While the Linux renderer is pretty exciting, you'd probably do better to start with the same O/S as your primary LW system.

markus
03-23-2003, 11:48 AM
2. Is it possible to get a version of Linux that I can install on a partition of my Mac HD? I know RedHat and Debian don't work on Mac PC's, and I'm willing to make my own PC just for using Linux to render, but I'd rather do it an easier way..

There is a PowerPC version of SuSE Linux, but it's a rather old version (7.3).
It seems that they have discontinued their PPC line, as the PC (i386) version is now reaching 8.2.

Puma
03-23-2003, 10:40 PM
I used to use YellowDog Linux when I actually had a Mac at work. It was fairly easy to install and worked quite well. :D

I wonder if the Linux Render Engine will actually work on a Mac. I kind of doubt it. I bet it's compiled for an Intel processor and I doubt they give you the source code so you can compile it yourself. :confused:

Jimzip
03-24-2003, 05:16 AM
Oh well. Thanks anyhow people.
jimzip:D

sldonham
04-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Newtek announced back in early 2002, that a Linux renderer would be available by the 3rd quarter of 2002. We are almost into the 2nd quarter of 2003 and I have not heard a single thing, despite all my searches, about Lightwave on Linux. Did they give this press release just to keep their existing clients or are they REALLY planning on a Linux based lightwave? I'm sorry to say, but I've waited for over 6 months, following their press release, and if I don't hear anything new, I have to switch to Maya soon. I've run out of options for Windows, and would really appreciate a Linux based Lightwave.

Elmar Moelzer
04-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Sldonham, the linux- network- renderer comes with the 7.5b- update, hat has been out for a few weeks now. Where is the problem?
CU
Elmar

ammonm
04-01-2003, 06:11 PM
the linux render is out and working. however, from what i have seen, it doesn't work well with the X86 renderer.

they load, they render, and then they wait and do nothing. i am having problems with the saving of each frame.

from what i have read the method of passing parameters, such as locations on where to save the files, have difficulties between systems.

who knows, just my 2 cents...

Stingslang
07-27-2006, 04:25 PM
So did this renderer get dropped from Version 8? What about version 9?

Phil
07-28-2006, 12:16 AM
It's not available for either, as far as I know. I believe that NT had one person 'maintaining' this port, but they left the company and noone felt it was worthwhile to pick up again. It should be remembered, though, that for various reasons, no 3rd party ever provided linux versions of their plugins for use with the linux LWSN. Nor was a version other than for Intel CPUs ever released. NewTek have shown very little follow-through for Linux, sadly. It's rather depressing.

So, any use of 3rd party plugins in Layout means that you have to use something like Wine with the Win32 version of LWSN. This adds the requirement to have X installed on each node, due to Wine requiring parts of X to work. Win32 LWSN via Wine is generally the best option on Linux nodes.