PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

Artistrendering
09-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Did I install 9.3 UB wrong.

My still known issues:

Layout and modeler both hesitate dramatically when switching between or from another app.

I still have to type in the extensions for files to save them properly

When render is complete I get an out of memory error can't display - I click this ok twice and the image appears.

Loading a scene stops until I jiggle the window - as if I have to wake it up.

Menus still disappear randomly, but usually after a render.

I use this app in production everyday - I need to know if anyone else is experiencing a huge lag in production time since 9.3 UB. I like to think it's just me and that LW is still a descent usable app.

using 2X2.66 Ghz Dual core INtel
5 gigs of ram
256 nvidia vram
dual 23" monitors

Artistrendering
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
It also takes Layout at least 30-40 seconds to close after saving everything...sometimes longer. I usually force quit to keep things moving- and that's not right.

Scazzino
09-18-2007, 10:13 AM
LightWave is a decent usable app, though the first version of the UB does have a few teething issues. I'm sure they'll be addressed shortly, but in the mean time here are a few tips that may help.

The switching apps delay is most likely a hub issue. If you don't really need the hub you can disable it by renaming it to something like Disabled-Hub, then it will no longer load.

The menus (popup button menus on the interface) sometimes become invisible. I've mostly seen this when clicking one while LW's in the background, switching apps in the process. When it happens, switching out and then back into LW usually fixes it, such as hitting command-tab twice.

I don't think they've added automatic file extensions yet. The CFM version never did them and I don't think the UB does yet either.

I haven't seen loading scenes stop loading, but they do seem to be quite slow to load...

I haven't seen the out of memory and then showing the render. Though I had previously seen it run out of memory and then not show the render. If you can send steps to reproduce with a sample scene to the lw-bugs at newtek.com address it'll probably help.

Scazzino
09-18-2007, 10:14 AM
It also takes Layout at least 30-40 seconds to close after saving everything...sometimes longer. I usually force quit to keep things moving- and that's not right.

:agree:

Yes, I've always thought Layout was way too slow to quit... afterall it's just quitting so what's taking it so long...

Artistrendering
09-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't have time to read through all the threads to find people with similar problems... so thanks for the reply! It's good to know it's not something I did...i think.

I hope they fix these problems soon, my production moves along the path of all these bugs. Some of these issues must be tough to fix, yet out of every application I have ( many) LW was the last to jump in and after a long awaited UB version, I am so disappointed. Some of my apps are on there second strong UB version. It just appears LW is behind.

For the out of memory error- it happens after the render is done- then can't be displayed. Usually I render around 4000x2500 pixels. This was a known issue in earlier betas, I do remember.

Artistrendering
09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Also, is there a way to receive an email when updates are made- I'm always finding out a week later, somewhere in the forums that there's been an update. ??

Chilton
09-18-2007, 01:08 PM
I don't think they've added automatic file extensions yet. The CFM version never did them and I don't think the UB does yet either.

We actually did do this for some file types (scenes and objects, at least). If there's a specific one that isn't working, please let us know!

-Chilton

Scazzino
09-18-2007, 06:21 PM
We actually did do this for some file types (scenes and objects, at least). If there's a specific one that isn't working, please let us know!

-Chilton

Cool, I just tested an object file and it worked. :thumbsup:

I missed this addition because there wasn't any GUI indication that it dealt with the file extensions like I get on some other software (such as Preview for example, image attached). Would it be possible to add the "Hide file extensions" checkbox and have the file extension appear/disappear in the filename depending upon if the file type is being hidden or not?

:boogiedow

toby
09-22-2007, 03:33 PM
For the out of memory error- it happens after the render is done- then can't be displayed. Usually I render around 4000x2500 pixels. This was a known issue in earlier betas, I do remember.
It takes tons of memory to display such a large image, especially at 128 bits per channel. Set an output path and use F10 instead of F9.

Artistrendering
09-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks Toby,
This has never been an issue in previous versions for me, even before I added more ram to my system. How much would be enough?

Now, I'm having issues unhiding LW, so I can't save my work. Tried tab selecting LW and unhiding option from doc. It seems to be one thing after another with the UB version.

Artistrendering
09-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Chilton,
I'm referring to .jpg and .psd and .tiff and all the others. I still need to add them or I get a blank document where it was saved.

toby
09-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks Toby,
This has never been an issue in previous versions for me, even before I added more ram to my system. How much would be enough?

I see - it does depend on how much ram the scene takes to render too, lots of textures, geometry, final gather, raytracing, can add up to a scene that takes a lot more than others. Still, I'm betting that the UB has potential for better-than-ever memory management once it gets sorted out. You have lots of ram, but then I don't know how heavy your scene is -