PDA

View Full Version : Video drives NOT ONLINE

Multimedia
09-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Greetings,
One more time I encountered problems with my video drives.
After many times I wiggle wires inside of the computer. I am able to see my four video hard drives, when I start the computer.[/B]

But when I check the DISK MANAGEMENT two of the drives are OFFLINE and FOREIGN. And then all the drive FAILED. (CHECK ATTACHED FILE)

How I can solve this?

Thank you and have a nice day.

PointC
09-17-2007, 03:27 PM
I has a similar problem with a VT system a few years back and it turned out to be a bad power cable on one of the drives. Do you have some spare power cables that you could try? :goodluck: Cheers.

Multimedia
09-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Hello PointC,

Thank you for your reply.
I don't have the cables but I can check with my IT Department.

Have a good day.

Paul Lara
09-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Another possible explanation is one of the drives is beginning to fail.
As a precaution, you should back up ALL the data on that array while you can.

Multimedia
09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Hello Paul,

Definitely I am going to do that. But is any way to bring back ONLINE this video drives.

Thank you and have a good evening.

UnCommonGrafx
09-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Right-click over the "Disk #" area and try to "ReActivate" Disk.

If that doesn't work, your IT department needs to be looking for new drives...

I have this happen on an eSata enclosure I have. If the drives aren't recognized I can do the above procedure to bring them back online. Definitely check the power situation. For that matter, try to power them up with a separate power supply. (Not always easy.)

Scott Bates
09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Had a similar problem a few years ago, individual drives in a four-disc stripe set "randomly" disappearing. After replacing a couple drives and much frustration I discovered that one of the two power supplies in the system wasn't putting out a full 5 volts. Replaced it and everything's been fine since. It would be worth having your IT people check it. If it's OK, that's one possibility eliminated.

Multimedia
09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Hello UnCommonGrafx,

Yes, I already try to "ReActivate" Disk but nothing happen.
Why is showing that disk drives are FOREING?

Have a good evening.

Multimedia
09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Hello Scott Bates,

Very good. Let me also check that and see what happen.

Have a good evening.

Jim_C
09-17-2007, 09:05 PM
When your disks show as Foreign, you have to choose 'Import' first. Then reactivate.

But that doesn't do anything for why the bumped off.

It looks like you have 2 drives down.(?)
Are they sharing a y splitter from the power supply?

kleima
09-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Like Scott said, before you assume the drive is failing check power issues. I had six months of headaches and replaced drives 3-4 times, changed power supplies, you name it, before I discovered the problem: a very small insignificant thing! I had needed more power plugs for the number of drives I had, so I used those little Y's that give you power for 2 drives off one power lead. Well, I had chained more than one Y on some of the chains. This caused enough extra resistance to drop the power to some of the drives. The drives did not like this, so ran intermittently. You can use the Y's, just make SURE that you only use one Y per power lead - do NOT chain a second or third Y to your first Y.
Once I did this, all problems vanished. None of the drives were bad, none of the power supplies were bad, none of the Y's were bad! You just can't chain them!
Hope this makes sense.

Multimedia
09-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Hello kleima,

I am going to check for the power issue.

Have a nice day.