PDA

View Full Version : Modelling A Room Technique

eagleeyed
09-17-2007, 05:10 AM
Hey, I am still classifying myself as a huge newbie, hence I have a question, I am currently modelling a scene for one of my projects, screenshot attached, however I am wondering if I am doing this the wrong way.

At the moment I am trying to model with the least possible polygons, however upon thinking about it I might be doing it wrong. Just saying I am aiming for the highest detail possible. Most of the textures are going to be Wood, Glass and Cement.

This is an unfinished model.

So this is the official question, for modelling walls should you still use a lot of polygons or is the way I am doing it alright, all feedback will be highly appreciated as I am in the opening stages of this and I want to do it right.

Colour Key - Red and Green are two different types of Glass.

eagleeyed
09-17-2007, 06:55 AM
I will also say I have not looked into texturing much as of yet so I have been going over the idea that the surface editor would do enough detail eg. bump maps, spec etc. I have designed it in mind of that, however after seeing zBrush in action and reading about it I am not too sure they would and how it adds alot of the detail through the mesh I thought that actually might be the standard way.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, ash.

hrgiger
09-17-2007, 08:13 AM
If you are going to be doing a lot of this type of modeling, I would reccomend you look into getting the latest version of LWCAD. Makes this type of modeling a breeze.

Hardwater
09-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Try to just add geometry to where you need to add more detail like windows or doors. The finer details like bricks, wood, etc can be added with textures(surface editor).

So the extra subdivisions in your walls are not needed unless there will be more windows or doors there. You can always cut/knife the walls later if you need.

Keep it goin =)

archijam
09-17-2007, 08:58 AM
This type of modelling is a breeze, with or without LWCAD, as long as you are systematic.

I have NEVER heard of zbrush being used for architectural visualisation, i can only imagine it would be usefull if you were modelling a ruined building ;) ... in terms of modelling, don't believe the hype, lightwave out of the box is fantastic for modelling arch-vis, and even better with LWCAD.

You can do most things with procedurals, and some good, highres, tileable textures. If your walls look boring or too plain, you can often fix it with a micro or macro procedural on your specular channel etc. With Nodes you can quite easily pinch other peoples perfect textures ;) ...

As hardwater mentioned, detail where detail is necessary, and micro bevels at the right moment (ie. before you cut the door, or use the Vertibevel plugin for bevels later in the process) to get rid of impossibly sharp corners, tho the new anti-aliasing will help some.

In addition, you need to make scale descisions. Tiles on walls or floors are almost always one plane with clever texturing (unless you want the cockroach cam), your glass panel joints are probably best as geometry. For your glass walls: for maximum realism, but depending on the detail, create two separate pieces of glass, ends and all (cutting geometry will not ensure that it renders as separate pieces) ...

Check out some of the arch-vis users renders (proton, andyjaggy etc.), and try to guess how the model was setup. take a look at the challenge model from earlier this year, and some of the various setups and wireframes ..

Most of all, have fun.

j.

loki74
09-17-2007, 09:14 AM
yyeah, ZB is not an archviz tool. It's purely for sculpting and painting. Since most of the surfaces in an archviz piece will probably be planar, I don't see why you couldn't use Photoshop.

Now if there are organic type stuff you want as furniture or decorations (say a statue or bust) then ZB might be applicable there.

archijam--you are right; I specifically remember ZB being used for a ruined building in some movie... forget what, but yeah...

eagleeyed
09-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Hey, thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated.
Thats what I thought about zBrush, thanks for all the help.

Well all that info has helped alot in the design. For the glass that sheet was only temporary to get measurements, there is going to be several pieces there and supports.

As for LWCAD, I dont think I will be using it much for Archetectual stuff, this is purely for a scene in my movie that I am doing.

Thanks for all the help and I will keep you updated.