PDA

View Full Version : Makehuman

IMI
09-15-2007, 08:59 PM
A few days ago in, I think, the recent Poser-related thread here (the one about Collada, maybe?), I read where Larry Schultz mentioned an app called "makehuman". What he said implied it was something like Poser, in that it dealt with human meshes.

I had never even heard of that, though, so I decided to check it out, and downloaded it. Unlike Poser, it appears to be open source. I don't know what that means for meshes created with it, and I can't seem to find any info regarding that, either at sourceforge or in the Wikipedia article about it.

I'm not too concerned, anyway, as I have this policy that I'm either going to learn how to model my own people well, or just not do it at all, but I have to say, it is interesting for mucking about with.

The attached screenshot is a makehuman woman I made and exported as .obj, into Modeler. Subpatched it at level 2 CC. And I painted a quickie texture to cover her naughty parts. :D
The models export with a UV map, that's actually pretty good.

I haven't done too much to this other than create some selection sets and parts groups, and reassign some surfaces. I'm planning on seeing how far I can take this, maybe all the way to rigging and animating it, and making a better texture, in my spare time. Seems like it would be a good exercise for someone like me, or anyone, who doesn't do this sort of thing much.

If anyone's interested in getting at some quick prefab humans, male and female, alien, "fantasy", whatever, makehuman is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/makehuman/

The meshes export rather low-poly and sometimes have some problems with flipped polys and confused surfaces, but are overall pretty easy to work with, and sub-patch nicely.

JamesCurtis
09-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I've had Makehuman for awhile and I do like it for creating a quick character. The only thing is that developement has stalled on it for quite some time, and I don't know if its being dev'd further by anyone. It'd be great if someone did.

Free is good!!!

IMI
09-16-2007, 12:20 PM
I've had Makehuman for awhile and I do like it for creating a quick character. The only thing is that developement has stalled on it for quite some time, and I don't know if its being dev'd further by anyone. It'd be great if someone did.

Free is good!!!

Free is very good!
It's not particularly intuitive at first, but once you figure it's weird interface out, it's a breeze. And, it can generate a pretty decent variety of human and humanoid shapes. Pretty cool.

Yeah, it'd be cool if someone picked up on it. You have to admire people who are willing to write such apps for free. :)

hrgiger
09-16-2007, 12:56 PM
It's not a very intelligent app but it gets an A for effort. Mixing some of the different body settings produces some rather undesirable results.
Yes, it exports with a UV map which is nice but don't think it's not going to need some major tweaking(see pic).
I say if you want to have some miscellaneous figures for background work it could be your best friend but it's not quality enough for leading characters.

IMI
09-16-2007, 01:14 PM
It's not a very intelligent app but it gets an A for effort. Mixing some of the different body settings produces some rather undesirable results.
Yes, it exports with a UV map which is nice but don't think it's not going to need some major tweaking(see pic).
I say if you want to have some miscellaneous figures for background work it could be your best friend but it's not quality enough for leading characters.

Oh, definitely, I agree on all points. I froze it out of sub-patch into a 40,000+ mesh, after fixing all the strange problems I found, and definitely had to re-UV map it. I'll post a render of it after I have everything done which I want to do. Even now, it's looking far better than when I posted that screenshot.
I'm just looking at it as good practice. :)

Skinner3D
09-16-2007, 01:24 PM
:thumbsup: I am glad I ran across thread. I have to have somewhere between 10 and 12 characters by this coming Tuesday for a school project and this program looks like it may save my hide. These characters dont have to be highly detailed at all so this is just perfect. Now if I can figure out how to use it by Tuesday. . . :D

safetyman
09-17-2007, 06:35 AM
I played around with Makehuman months and months ago, but it kinda fell by the wayside for me because of the lack of variety in the figures it created. Has it changed much? I.E. -- can I make figures as diverse as say, an Incredibles-type character and a Golem-type, or is it still just minor variations on the basic male/female?

gjjackson
09-17-2007, 02:20 PM
You could see about FXRealm's Creature Creator. As far as I know it's still available. It does somewhat game quality characters a bit better.

IMI
09-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I didn't mean it as an end solution, just a starting point. I just find it amusing.
It's true that what it spits out is somewhat lacking in variety, but there's enough variety to get a good beginning on something else. After all, it's a polygon mesh, and we all have Modeler. ;) Once something's been exported, one can do whatever one wants to it in order to improve upon its shape or make it something entirely different.

Creature Creator? I have a friend who has that, and I messed around with it a little on his computer. I wasn't blown away by it - the meshes had variety, but had problems. I made this monster looking thing and burned it to a disk and brought it home. Just looked terrible in Modeler, like it would be a real pain to fix it. It could have been an older version though, I can't remember - it was a while ago. I'll have to find out.

The makehuman models, as I said, are far from perfect, but easily fixable. I spent a couple more hours on my makehuman woman this morning, and it's coming along nicely - starting to look pretty good, actually. :)

Skinner3D
09-19-2007, 05:30 PM
This software works really well for my needs. Does anybody have a good easy way to clothe these people? Painting the surface just makes them look like they are wearing spandex, and they have to sort of look like college students :D

IMI
09-19-2007, 06:02 PM
If you have ZBrush 3 (I don't know about earlier versions), there's a way to draw a selection and extract a form-fitting mesh from it which can then be exported as .obj.
Of course, you could do it in Modeler, too, by copying the geometry of the areas to be clothed into a new layer and then building clothing meshes up out of it over a background layer of the body, for the sake of being able to see what you're covering while you do it.
Or maybe just start with boxes or cylinders or splines or something and go about it that way to build clothing meshes - Modeler doesn't have any kind of automated clothing-making tool.
I think you could also make a dense mesh and use the Cloth tools in Layout in some way, but that might be far more work than just creating a mesh from scratch.
If you need something quick, though, what I'd do is copy, say, the upper body polygons and part of the arms for a shirt with sleeves, into a new layer, add some new polygons and weld some points to get rid of any jagged edges, and then, with maybe supershift or multishift and edge bevel, extrude out some more polys to give it depth. Even that would need some tweaking, but it could be done relatively quickly.

Magnus81
09-26-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm Sorry, but I agree with IMI. I'd rather model my own characters(which I do) rather than use pre-made or generated meshes. To me that's part of being an artist, pushing yourself and trying to improve your skills. just my opinion though.

www.dragonflyanimation.com

IMI
09-26-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm Sorry, but I agree with IMI. I'd rather model my own characters(which I do) rather than use pre-made or generated meshes. To me that's part of being an artist, pushing yourself and trying to improve your skills. just my opinion though.

Definitely that's the way to go - making one's own stuff. :)
I know that the whole subject of this seems to contradict that, but I've done so much to the Makehuman figure I started with that it seems completely different now. Not quite "mine", and I could never call it that, but having a project such as this going has become an invaluable lesson in both rigging and clothing modeling. Not to mention all I've learned about mesh flow as it relates to rigging, simply by starting with this figure.

I tried all the methods I mentioned above as far as creating clothing goes, but the best I came up with - a new technique - for me, that is, was to draw splines over it and use Drill>Stencil to get a 3D mesh that fit the figure, and then go through the usual routine of refining the clothing parts.

I'm still trying to learn how to model a good figure completely from scratch, but don't have alot of time to devote to it. One day.
But creating this stuff for this prefab figure, altering it and rigging it, like I said, has been a HUGE learning experience, one which I'd recommend anyone try out. :)

It'll probably still be a few more weeks before I have anything that's ready for the "Finished Works" here, but I intend to take it to that point. I'm not into WIP's, really, don't have time for it, and haven't done much rendering yet anyway.

Andyjaggy
09-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Yes but there are times when we have to sell our artistic integrity to get the job done.

If you've never had to do that then consider yourself blessed. :)

JamesCurtis
09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, sometimes deadlines tend to make you need to take shortcuts and build upon something that is already available! Re-inventing the wheel is not always such a good thing, IMO!

But I do agree, that practice and honing ones skills is good.

Mr Maze
03-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Just FYI, a new there is a new release of makehuman... It is definitely improving. The interface has improved - I was able to generate a very usable mesh in about 30 seconds.

starbase1
03-19-2008, 05:18 AM
Just FYI, a new there is a new release of makehuman... It is definitely improving. The interface has improved - I was able to generate a very usable mesh in about 30 seconds.

Ooh, thanks for pointing that one out!

theo
03-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Makehuman is just a very low-end Poser. Excellent program for storyboarding, though.

littlewaves
03-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Makehuman is just a very low-end Poser. Excellent program for storyboarding, though.
well if you expect to use it in isolation then yes I suppose that's a fair analogy

However the figures MH creates are much more use to Lightwave users than Poser figures.

Get a couple of poser figures (even the so called reduced resolution ones) into a lightwave scene and your polycount is gonna rocket.

Obviously if you're capable with figure modeling anyway then you're probably better off just making your own stock figures for your own requirements but I can see MH figures being really useful to anyone wanting to quickly add characters to a scene.

I think the app will develop nicely in the future perhaps with clothes and hair

RebelHill
03-19-2008, 07:56 AM
I gotta say, ive made fairly liberal use of make human for creating my character meshes... they're pretty good resolution wise, and the topology and looping is pretty fantastic... sure, they're very generic figures for the most part (especially the heads) but load em up in modeller, get busy with ur drag n magnet, or whatever, and u can create really origianl looking characters out of them... maybe a bit of bandglue/saw here n there... I think its a wonderful lil thing... saves u hours of modeling time.

Mr Maze
03-19-2008, 09:25 AM
I agree with RebelHill. I would have to say that Makehuman polyflow just stomps on poser, IMO.

IMI
03-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh yeah, those MH meshes are pretty good.
Hmm. I had forgotten about this thread even though I was the one who started it. I did know about the Makehuman update though. Although, aside from the interface improvements, the program seems pretty much still the same, as do the meshes.

I wouldn't want to use the meshes in anything I wanted to call "my own", but through working with those meshes, altering them, re- UV mapping them and using them for tests I've learned far more about what makes a good humanoid figure mesh.

Not really of much interest to a seasoned pro, but to someone such as myself who's trying to learn the ins and outs of more complex modeling, and working with figures in general, they're a great resource to practice with. :)