PDA

View Full Version : headus uvlayout

borkus
09-15-2007, 08:16 PM
came across this app on the silo forums. uvlayout (http://www.uvlayout.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1) . it seems pretty easy to use. but i have no experience in uv's. but by watching the videos on the site, it doesn't seem as intimidating. but, it ain't cheap either. $390 us. so was wondering from those that edit uv's everyday, is this worth the money? does anyone use this app? it is highly talked of, but what is the equivalent within lightwave? is it just as easy to do within lightwave? like i said, i have never messed with uv's and wouldn't know where to begin. just looking at additional tools and you guy's opinions on such tools. thanks for any input. on a side note, it does use a dongle. but then again, who here would really have a problem with that...

SplineGod
09-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Heres a real nice free UV unwrapper.
http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

IMI
09-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Heres a real nice free UV unwrapper.
http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

It shows a screenshot of the standalone version, implying there is one, but those downloads are all plugins, for maya, Max and XSI. Is the standalone in there somewhere?

Agreed about the PLG UV tools. I spend alot of time unwrapping objects and all those, particularly Make_UV_Edit, are worth their weight in gold. Well, wait, I guess they don't actually weigh anything. ;)
Still, I'd have gladly paid for UV tools that good. Free is good too. :)

SplineGod
09-16-2007, 07:25 AM
The zip file is the free standalone version. Its the same UV tools that are built into blender.

IMI
09-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Oh, I see. It's just confusing the way they have it labeled. Thanks, will give it a try. :)

IMI
09-16-2007, 12:25 PM
As mentioned, PLG is the way to go for unwrapping in LightWave.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

It's not perfect, stability wise, but it produces some of the best unwraps/pelts I've seen. If you tweak them with the relaxer afterwards, you have a really nice solution.

Now that you mention stability, I just realized I haven't had it crash Modeler since upgrading to 9.3. I used to crash Modeler 9.0 and 9.2 with it regularly. And I use those PLG UV tools several times a day. Could be a coincidence, though. Now that I bothered to type that, it'll probably crash the next time I use it. ;)
(Win XP Pro 32 bit)

rdrdrd23
09-17-2007, 06:27 AM
The packer is very reliable if you dont use the optimised scale funtion. just unweld and scale up your UVs to maximise the space afterwards. You might need to go back and tweak the `size` value though to minimise the gaps to as small as your texture can handle.

Hats off to the Nifty PLG man though- superb set and many thanks about the price!!!! =)

IMI
09-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Hats off to the Nifty PLG man though- superb set and many thanks about the price!!!! =)

You got that right! :)

Greenlaw
09-17-2007, 04:00 PM
UVLayout is fantastic! IMO, it is by far the best UV creation application out there. Unlike most other UV programs, UVLayout uses physical dynamics to flatten your meshes resulting in the least amount of distortion possible.

When I first started using it a couple of years ago, I though it was only suitable for only organic objects, but Headus recently added alignment and edging features, making it very useful for rigid models too. The ability to interactively mirror edit parts of your object (kinda like Symmetry mode in Modeler) is incredibly useful too.

The interface takes a little getting used since it's almost entirely operated by key commands, but there really aren't a lot of commands and you can probably learn it all in a couple of hours. Once you know UVLayout, you can pelt an entire character, including clothing and gear, in an hour or so. With some experience, you can do this much faster.

User Tip: I usually find it helpful to scale an object by 100x in Modeler before exporting it to UVLayout. This seems to help it flatten meshes more precisely. Just don't forget to scale it back when you return to LW.

I HIGHLY recommend this program. It's not just extremely useful, it's a lot of fun to watch too.

DRG

Greenlaw
09-17-2007, 04:04 PM
BTW, I think you can still request a free 30-day trial of UVLayout beta. The trial-period is renewable too, that is until it comes out of beta.

DRG

akademus
09-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Yup. I give it a try (headus) it's more than awesome. It is a bit tricky when you use it for the first time, but very soon you got shortcut keys you are up an unwrap in no time. Hell of the app. I just adore it.

Greenlaw
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Every time I start a task in UVLayout, I find myself trying many different ways to pelt an object before settling on the one that works best. This may not sound like a good use of production time, but the truth is, UVLayout lets me work so quickly that I can afford to experiment like this. If time is valuable to you, you'll want to check it out. It's definitely one of my favorite tools

Some may call it a 'one trick pony', but what an amazing trick!

DRG

akademus
09-18-2007, 02:26 AM
Well, go to their site, download fully functional 30 days demo and try it out. I'm not saying which one is better I just found UVlayout really awesome and fast to work with. It makes UV mapping a lot of fun (and that is success)! And if you are doing heaps of UV maps it's well worth of money!

cheers

Eugeny
09-18-2007, 05:49 AM
PLG is the winner , its free, its fast ad it's inside lightwave, so you don't loose any Vmaps with export/import *.obj. It's bit unstable but it's doing job really well. I'm used Unfold 3D for unwrapping (which is great) before the "discovering" of PLG tools. It's allways was make UV first, and morphs and weights after, some times it's was really limiting.

moc
09-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Maybe take a look at the PLG action video..Share by Steve..
PLG was really good...
http://www.stevewarner.com/html/uv_unwrapping.html

Greenlaw
09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Maybe take a look at the PLG action video..Share by Steve..
PLG was really good...
http://www.stevewarner.com/html/uv_unwrapping.html

Just looked at the PLG demo movie. PLG looks pretty good for it's price (free!) but it's really not in the same class as UVLayout. You really need to try UVLayout out to see what I mean. This program gives you fast and precise control over where to split and sew seams, and the relaxing and tightening brush is very interactive. The visual feedback is pretty amazing and very helpful: polygons turn red when there's stretching, blue for compression, and green means no distortion. Using the automated flattening, the UV's are almost always mostly green, so you can focus on difficult tweaky areas like the mouth, eyes, and fingers. It's also pretty cool how you can instantly swap and scale its built-in textures on your mesh to monitor your progress. Seriously, it's like magic! At least check out the dozens of demo and tutorial videos on Headus' site.

Yes, unlike PLG, UVLayout does cost money but when you're involved in a production with an insanely tight deadline, this is money well spent.

Someone asked for some world examples of UVLayout: we used it most recently on the Ninja Gaiden 2 teaser trailer which you can see at gametrailers.com. The entire character was UV mapped, (skin, costume and some weaponry) in less than hour of time. (I actually spent almost two hours on this task but most of that time was spent relearning the program because the last time I used it was almost a year ago.) We also used it on past projects like the Banjo Kazooie short film, and last year's Fable 2 teaser.

At a more personal level, I used UVLayout to UV map characters for a short film my wife and I have been working on, which I hope will be done before the end of the year. If there's any interest, I'll be happy to post details on how UVLayout was used for this short after the project is done. Until then, I don't really want to talk about it much so please don't ask. :)

In short, I'm not saying you MUST use UVLayout, just that it's a great tool, and for a production situation with tight deadlines, the program can be an invaluable asset. I'm sure PLG is a great tool too, as it obviously does the job and you certainly can't argue about the price.

Final advice: use what works best for you and your project.

Hope this info is helpful.

DRG

SplineGod
09-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Hey Dennis,
Have you tried roadkill? Id be interested in seeing how you think it compares. :)

IMI
09-18-2007, 07:33 PM
I haven't tried roadkill yet. Forgot about it, actually. ;)
I got my temp license through an email for the UvLayout, but never got a chance to try it and now it's expired. It was only for 6 days - where do you guys see a 30 day version?

I'm always open to trying new things out when I have the time (and when I don't forget that I downloaded something), but I have to once again extol the virtues of PLG. It's not quite telepathic, but definitely far better than anything Modeler can offer. Who'd have thought that by v 9.3 we'd still have only those arcane unwrapping options?
Thank God for 3rd party developers, and the developers of these standalone single-purpose apps. :)

sculptactive
09-19-2007, 12:42 AM
I beta tested UVlayout.
I just did not like the UI.

I eventually bought UnFold3d which has a great UI and does exatly what it states.
Yes PLG is good. but you only have to look at Modo's Mapper to see how much Newtek needs to catch up.