PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEdit Breakout Box

tfrank
09-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Have any of you SpeedEdit users found a "breakout box", short of using a VT card and SX84? Our work is SD, and we use 2 "full blown" VT systems, primarily because of the VT card and SX84 to bing in several component sources. I need to add additional edit capability and SpeedEdit would work, except for the need to bring in above mentioned video sources. Thanks for in advance for whatever "leads" that you can provide.

Bobt
09-14-2007, 07:37 PM
If that was possible how much do you think it would be worth.
(Did you know I designed a hardware I/O card for the PC long ago and
my degree is in hardware engineering ;))
Truely there are things called Analog muxers. Thats what you need isnt it?
Or are you looking for a DV mux as well?

Bob

tfrank
09-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Bob, I guess the easy answer to is that it would be worth is whatever the market would bear.:) In reality, somewhere below that cost of the full VT card and SX box. It has become evident to me (reading forum posts), that many people are like myself in that SpeedEdit more than satisfies their post needs (with a print to tape function)...they just need a way to get their analog video in and out to various machines. Currently, I need access to BetaSP, MiniDV, DVD, DVCpro, VHS without constantly playing with cables. I would also like to able to monitor audio and video...in short with much of the capability as the current SX box has...but perhaps on a smaller scale. If I want firewire...thats what the ports on the computer are for. If I am really in need of SDI on a limited scale...then again I'll stick a card in the computer. I really think there is a market out there...don't know how big though. Having had a friend that use to build video and audio DA's out of his garage for VHS duplicators, I understand there is a certain amount of overhead in getting printed circuit boards done, buying parts, etc. With your background Bob, perhaps you might be able to run some numbers to see if it would work out. Then there is the time it would take to do the engineering and time to get it to market. As a possible consumer, I am in a time crunch right now.

tfrank
09-15-2007, 08:18 AM
In re-reading my post, I am reminded that we had a piece of 3rd party software that we used with VT2 to both batch capture and print to tape. It worked very well. If SpeedEdit doesn't have that capability, then perhaps I could resurrect the old software. I seldom throw anything away. I just need to find a way to get analog video in/out.

dweinkauf
09-15-2007, 09:09 AM
I send all my audio and video analog signals into SE via firewire from my Sony DSR-11 Mini-DV deck. Since SE doesn't allow you to hear the audio on capture (NewTek-please fix this!), I feed the speakers with the audio analog signal out of the Mini-DV deck. To avoid cable swapping, a simple audio/video switchbox works very well. When we had Toaster Flyers, VHS and Beta decks, we used a simple switchbox from Radio Shack to prevent the students from playing with cables.

Bobt
09-15-2007, 10:05 AM
To futher this conversation they have some low cost
video switches out there. But I didnt see many that are computer controlled
that were reasonable.

Lightwolf
09-15-2007, 10:35 AM
I'd just be happy to have SE support the Blackmagic range of boards. They're not expensive and do what they're supposed to do...

Last time I checked the SE SDK didn't even include a way to hook up a new device for preview purposes, never mind in-/output.

Cheers,
Mike

Bobt
09-15-2007, 11:48 AM
There is a way I can do this for SD video if someone is interested.
I have a handle on that But...
Not for HD video output. :(

Bob

gymcoach
09-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Behringer Eurorack pro fixed it for me. It has 8 stereo inputs. I hooked my 3 computers speakers out, my m box monitor out and the output of my VT. It is about $99 and I can mute any channel I want I have just one set of speakers, it is great!

DiscreetFX
09-15-2007, 05:45 PM
What is the model number of your Eurorack gymcoach?

Tony R
09-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Have any of you SpeedEdit users found a "breakout box", short of using a VT card and SX84? Our work is SD, and we use 2 "full blown" VT systems, primarily because of the VT card and SX84 to bing in several component sources. I need to add additional edit capability and SpeedEdit would work, except for the need to bring in above mentioned video sources. Thanks for in advance for whatever "leads" that you can provide.

Why not use the Canopus ADVC-110? Has S and composite in and out, and firewire in and out. I use that with WinDV to capture. That's all you need to get your video into SE.

Tony

gymcoach
09-16-2007, 12:24 AM
model rx 1602

PeteF
09-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Why not use the Canopus ADVC-110? Has S and composite in and out, and firewire in and out. I use that with WinDV to capture. That's all you need to get your video into SE.

Tony

I have the ADVC-100 (the external box, no bigger than a hard-drive). However, I think he's looking for multiple source input, and wants RGB component?

Bobt
09-16-2007, 08:53 AM
The SX8 does some cool stuff.
SVideo in/ Component in / Composite in and
multiple component out/composite outputs.
This is very helpful when wanting to hardwire a studio together but
does not need to be so large. 4 to 6 in and multiple out would be fine.
(If I figure this right) Audio can be brought in by mixing board
which are readily availble.

Bob

PIZAZZ
09-16-2007, 09:00 AM
A simple vertical interval switch that does audio and video to feed into an Analog to DV convertor box like the Pyro, GV, or many others available would solve your problems. Better yet a small router like a Kramer 8x8 could easily do everything you are asking for multiformat routing. The router would be a little more expensive but you could put it in an equipment rack with all your available decks attached and then feed multiple machines from one set of decks.

Scott Bates
09-16-2007, 03:43 PM
One solution for analog I/O would be something like the 6-In/4-Out Sony SB-V900 Audio/Video Selector (matrix switcher) that I found a number of years ago on eBay. This particular unit does not handle component I/O however and it is not a vertical interval switcher.

It is S-Video/Composite, unbalanced audio (audio-follow-video) which allows me to send any four sources to four separate destinations simultaneously, or one source to three destinations simultaneously. It includes a "processor" circuit which allows all sources to be sent through outboard audio and video processors on the way to the outputs (or bypassed if desired) - all my video goes through a DPS TBC-IV and the audio goes through a dbx 166XL Compressor/Limiter.

I would guess similar units would be available for component I/O, but haven't had a need to search for them.

PeteF
09-16-2007, 08:20 PM
If you look at the new AJA IoHD input box for the apple, it's a multiple interface, and outputs to a single firewire. So a cheap firewire interface like a pyro or canopus box could accept a single source from a cheap matrix box (might find one on ebay). A little duct tape and you got yerself a redneck input switcher.

Bobt
09-17-2007, 04:41 AM
At 3500 I think the SX8 is cheaper.

tfrank
09-17-2007, 12:16 PM
The SX8 does some cool stuff.
SVideo in/ Component in / Composite in and
multiple component out/composite outputs.
This is very helpful when wanting to hardwire a studio together but
does not need to be so large. 4 to 6 in and multiple out would be fine.
(If I figure this right) Audio can be brought in by mixing board
which are readily availble.

Bob

I think Bob is following where I would like to go.

Gary Robinson
10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Datavideo has a pretty good low priced line of analog to digital converters you might want to check out.