PDA

View Full Version : Papervision 3D, Flash and LightWave

manproof
09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
I am starting to develop some applications in Flash, and need to integrate some simple real-time 3D objects.

Has anyone worked with the Papervision 3D component for Flash? Is LightWave able to produce content that is compatible with Papervision 3D? Any information is useful.

Thanks,

-Adam

R2D2
11-09-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm in the same position as you right now, and it doesn't look like you ever received any help. :)

From what I gather, you need to get your lightwave files exported as .dae files. Blender will do this, but i'm currently having problems actually getting this to work.

Let me know if you have any luck and I will do the same!

Later,
R2

jeffreywpearson
11-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Just read a news release. Swift 3D is adding support for papervision in the next release. I have not kept up with the Swift/Lightwave relationship but I do remember it was a free plugin for a time.

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/swift_3d_50_mac_to_add_papervision3d_support/

also info about new version for Macs:

http://www.swift3d.com/Company/Press/PressReleases/Swift3D_v5_Mac_Announce.asp

I am thinking I need to look into this.....

:-)

Jeff Pearson

R2D2
11-16-2007, 07:36 AM
After digging into this a little bit more, the news is not so good. The swift 3d Lightwave plugin and swift 3d itself are two different animals. Papervision support is only in the full swift 3d app which is not something that can be used to get a Collada file out of Lightwave. :(

Papervision support

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our upcoming Papervision support. This refers to our stand alone 3D product Swift 3D v5.

Since you mentioned that you are a LightWave user, you may be familiar with our LightWave plug-in Swift 3D LW v3, which is completely separate from Swift 3D v5. Our plug-in's are merely rendering what is in the LightWave scene, using our Ravix technology. It will not have the capacity to import and export objects from the main LightWave program.

I would encourage you to check with NewTek on this question, or consider using Swift 3D v5 for this aspect of your work flow.

Kind Regards,

Peter White

Electric Rain, Inc.
www.erain.com
888-613-1500 x15
303-543-8233 x15 (outside the US)

manproof
11-16-2007, 07:58 AM
I have actually opted to go with Director so I don't have any advice for you. Going from a Lightwave scene and using the Shockwave exporter has been much easier. Good luck.