PDA

View Full Version : lighting effects - creating "dusty" effects?

Algae998
09-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey all.

I was just messing around in LW and made a model that Id like to add some very dynamic lighting to. I modeled this section of chainmaille armour, but for a final render it seems a bit too..clear? So my question is, how do I add light beams or dust like particles to a layout? My goal is to take the picture of the chainmaille with the light below and have the light pouring out through the gaps, skyward (almost spotlight-ish). Im sure theres probably a bajillion ways to accomplish this...but does anyone know of an unintrusive method for a beginner, such as myself.
My ultimate goal is to be able to ANSWER some of the forum postings one day instead of always taking notes after reading someone else's answer :D .

flakester
09-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Hey all.My ultimate goal is to be able to ANSWER some of the forum postings one day instead of always taking notes after reading someone else's answer :D .

Howdy.

Hanging around in the forum shadows for a while is how most of us start off - and you'll find that the notes do indeed come in useful! :p

For the dust and stuff:
Three things spring to mind.....
You could add a spotlight under the gemoetry, turn on volumetrics - and tweak the settings until you find something you like.
Or create a particle emitter, and add a high number of particles of varying sizes and opacity/density to fill the space between the camera and the geometry.
Or a combination of the two.

You could also play around with:
Sub-patching the maille and adding some textures to it - procedural textures would work well on this - especially for the colour, diffuse, reflection and bump channels; get some grime in there!!

Hope that helps.

flakester.

Algae998
09-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Ill have to give em a whirl. I havent quite began to tackle the challenge of textures yet, but I will. I was thinking I might experiment with a bump map on the rings.

pva
09-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Be careful with the hypervoxels, they're VERY expensive to calculate for the render, so I would experiment with volumetrics :)

Algae998
09-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Ive been messing around with a spotlight with volumetrics enabled. The results are pretty satisfying with the beams of light streaking out, but in the heart of the bunch there seems to be too much conflicting light beams. I think it might need a spotlight with more of a beam and almost no cone shape. The way the beams are angled seems like its from the cone's shape, which I have played around with. Adjusting the base and the cone degree I found only allows for so much of a straight solid light beam.

The next thing I need to work on is the rings that dont have direct light on them. It should be darker and a lot less gray. Oh well, time to go play around s'more.

toby
09-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Cool effect.
Couple things you could try;
Looks like you have ambient light on? Off!
A little less volumetric light and add some post-process glow
The chainmail needs to reflect whatever is casting the light - right now it's a cg light so it won't bounce around on the links realistically. I would build something like a light table.

I agree on the crossed volumetric lights, use a distant light, it's all parallel.

Algae998
09-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Ahh...ambient light. I think it was set to 5% or something low like that. So itd probably be more visually correct if there werent any ambient lights Im guessing.

Ill try this out with a distant light and see if I cant eliminate any of the crosses from the spotlight. If its what Im looking for Ill post it up.

In terms of the post-process glow...are you talking of rendering just the light/glow?

Thanks for the tips, its helping out a lot! :thumbsup:

toby
09-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Well wherever you see some white between the links you'd probably see a little glow, depending on how intense the light is supposed to be. It seems pretty intense if you can see the beams. Using Corona (Image Processing panel) would be better than the glow in the surface panel.