PDA

View Full Version : nVidia 8600 GTS card anyone?

Igeeky1
09-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello,

It appears I will soon be a new user to LightWave. With no past experience in 3D animation other than about a day on an SGI years and years ago.

I'm currently running a Radeon X600 so a video card upgrade I believe is in my near future. To me the nVidia 8600 GTS looks like the best bang for the buck.

Any comments appreiciated, finding someone using it...even better :)

Thanks

Mark

HoMe
09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
hi Igeeky1,
welcome !!!

what you think about an ATI 1900 or 1950 ???

the cards are also cheap and better in performance, but many user says that nvidia are runs better for lightwave

HoMe

eagleeyed
09-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey, welcome to the LightWave community Igeeky1. :)

I am a recent purchaser of this card and absolutely loving it, everything is always smooth and I have had no problems what so ever in making it run. I use Vista Home Premium with it, but should work fine with XP.

I have not tested it with any high-poly models, about to model a couple in the next few weeks however for what I have tried it is running great.

If you want to compare those ATi cards to this Nvidia one, check out www.tomshardware.com, that has a comparison chart of most graphics cards in different test conditions.

However ATi has got a reputation of not being as friendly with LightWave as Nvidia, some expierence a few more bugs to Nvidia users, some experience some big bugs, while some dont have a problem with them at all.

Hope this post helps.

creativecontrol
09-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm running an 8800 which I think is quite similar. There were some troubles with drivers at the beginning but I'm happy to say that it seems they've all been sorted out and works great now. It is quite fast.

Igeeky1
09-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks all.

Previously I've always been a fan of ATI cards and have run them often due to them being a bit 2D speedier (photoshop) than the nVidia. At the level these cards are these days I don't believe 2D is an issue with any of them.

With nVidia being a bit of a favorite with Open I think with your replies that the 8600 will be the one.

Now...LightWave has like a two hour learning curve right? :)

creativecontrol
09-12-2007, 07:26 AM

One and a half if you're quick :)

flakester
09-12-2007, 08:35 AM

Depends what frames per second you're learning at! :p

Welcome to the LW community.

flakester.

Tiger
09-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I run 8800 GTS and its a very nice card.
:goodluck:

kilvano
09-12-2007, 11:19 AM
i got a 8600GT in my laptop.

Great card