PDA

View Full Version : Mac Loading problems?

Sean Martin
09-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi all,

When I double click on a file (lwo or lws) it will open modeler or lightwave but then I get a message saying file can't be opened?

I have to open modeler/lightwave first then load files.

also lws files save without any icons, just blank?

also after using Lightwave for over 4 versions files still do not save with an extension!

is this just my computer or LW?

G5 OSX v10.4.10

Chilton
09-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi Sean,

LightWave doesn't *need* the file extension to know it's the right file, but it does sound like you have multiple copies of LightWave installed, and the wrong one is being found.

-Chilton

Nigel Baker
09-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Hello Sean,

No, your not alone here.
I have the same issue.
I think also it may have to do with how far down your file maybe and the length of the path. (this is a personal thought not an official one)

I have a memory of only 32 characters in a file path is allowed.
Seems a litt/lot thin theses days especially on a Mac since you path automatically starts with your Mac Hard Disk / User / User Name and then where else yuo place your files.

Regards,
Nigel.

Chilton
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi,

In most cases, we support extremely long path names. However, due to this being a cross-platform app, in some cases, I *think* we only support up to 256 characters in the entire path.

Edit: I say '*think*' because I know some limitations are there, but not in the UB code. But I'm only familiar enough with the Mac code to know we don't have that problem there.

-Chilton

Sean Martin
09-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the comments

I should point out that I only have 9.3 running on my Mac, I have also ditched all old preferences.

With previous versions of LW you have always been able to click on a file and lightwave or modeler would load it, I now get error messages (see pics)

I now have to open LW and then load files, not a major problem but an annoying one! seeing as I never had to do this with previous LW versions and all other software can be launched and loaded from clicking on files (regardless of how deep the file path is).

also all other software will save with extensions but LW will not?

???

Chilton
09-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi Sean,

You're describing a completely different issue. There is a known bug (as in, we found out about it after shipping), where the file opening event is not passed into LightWave. That's what you're seeing, and it is fixed in the very next update.

-Chilton

Glendalough
10-08-2007, 05:25 AM
Hi Sean,

You're describing a completely different issue. There is a known bug (as in, we found out about it after shipping), where the file opening event is not passed into LightWave. That's what you're seeing, and it is fixed in the very next update.

-Chilton

Has this "known bug" been fixed yet in the 'latest' UB version? Or has it been sidelined for more important fixes?

I know we are not supposed to mention the beta software outside the beta forum, but its just looks like this is a 'promise' that this is top of the list and will be immediately fixed.

Does anyone have any news on this?

I find this the single most irritating and time wasting failure of 9.3 UB (and other versions of 9.3 I believe). If you are sorting through a lot of files, and need to open them fast to check things like surfaces and lights (looking for variations and readings) this problem is a real time waster, (especially for people on Macs who keep their files in different directories) as you have to navigate to each folder and file.

I have described this problem at least 5 times on these forums and I know for a fact that people at Newtek read it as it was listed with other problems which were discussed. I was really startled to see it mentioned here shortly later as a "known problem" when previously it had never been mentioned or even acknowledged.

Any NEWS Please!

Chilton
10-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi Sean,

That's what you're seeing, and it is fixed in the very next update.

-Chilton

Sorry, I forgot the 'bold' tags when I wrote that.

Anyone who bought v9 is free to join the Open Beta program, BTW.

-Chilton

Sean Martin
11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
well I just installed 9.3.1 and it still saves scene files with a blank icon

and still gives an error message when trying to open a file by clicking on it!

:grumpy:

Chilton
11-28-2007, 10:52 AM
well I just installed 9.3.1 and it still saves scene files with a blank icon

That's definitely odd. I know we fixed this in a beta version. Do you still have any older copies of LightWave laying around?

...and still gives an error message when trying to open a file by clicking on it!

What error message?

-Chilton

Glendalough
11-28-2007, 12:33 PM
That's definitely odd. I know we fixed this in a beta version. Do you still have any older copies of LightWave laying around?

What error message?

-Chilton

I believe he is referring to the error message he posted in the screen shot above!

Just wonder was this fixed only (once) in some beta version but never passed on to the succeeding ones?

Chilton
11-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing.

-Chilton

Glendalough
11-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey, it does seem to work okay now in 9.3.1!

bethel
11-29-2007, 10:22 AM
We have the same problem in the lab. I just tell my students to open program first, then load files. And, it is not the length of the file name that matters. We also have strange gigantic handles in LIghtwave on the new intel MAC. Doesn't affect the functioning of the program, but very distracting. We think its a video card issue.

symko
11-29-2007, 06:26 PM
RE: Giant tridents on new iMac... and then some.

I got the 24" iMac with ATI2400HD card. There are some funky issues with the display of some items.

1) HUGE! tridents on Layout. With me it is just the tridents on objects and it is the move and scale tridents. Lights and cameras and rotation seem to be fine. This is a distraction if anything.

2) I notice weirdness with wireframes in Modeler and Layout. In modeler if I have in obj in the BG layer, when I draw in the FG layer the obj in the FG turns into points only and makes HUGE polygons on the screen. I can still make the object and it looks normal when there is no obj in the BG layer. I managed to 'fix' this by going to the open GL settings ('d') and changing to streaming. (I also messed with some other OGL settings, but I think this is what fixes it)
In layout the wire frames get weird if I apply a displacement map. The object just vanishes and all that is left is the pivot point. In shaded it is fine and it renders fine. All my problems seem to be graphic card/OGL issues.

I love the speed of LW and my nice new 24", roomy display. But I am saddened by the graphic display issues. I've used LW for some time, so I can manage to work around the mess. I'm not sure if this is a LW thing or an ATI thing.

On a happy note: I was running LW on a duel PPC 1Gig G4. I was rendering some print res files that were taking 30 min a frame. On my iMac, it's down to 3.5 minutes! Love the speed, hate the other problems.

-JS

Chilton
11-29-2007, 08:10 PM
This appears to be limited to the iMacs, from the reports we're getting.

... it is somewhat frustrating.

-Chilton

bethel
11-30-2007, 05:33 AM
Wow! that's worst that I thought. No, haven't noticed the problems with BG and FG and displacement because the computer that we are testing is in a different high school. So, I emailed the teacher and asked him to try some of them out and let me know. Its disappointing because the speed is excellent on this machine. We have a meeting next week to determine if the school board is going to invest in these machines for the animation classes. Based on your expertise and experience do you think that it is something that can be addressed by an upgrade from Newtek or it could be just the video card on the machine? Do you think we should just wait till all these bugs are fixed before we invest in the machines?

Chilton
11-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Since it appears to be limited to the handles in LightWave, and doesn't appear to affect anything else, as soon as we can identify what is causing it, we can fix it. I'm fairly confident it's something that can be fixed on our end.

-Chilton

bethel
11-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Great, that makes me feel better. Do you have a time frame for the fix? Will it be an upgrade release? By the way, the problems I listed above don't affect the MacBook Intel computer that I'm using. I downloaded the latest upgrade and it fixed the 'Apple Cut' problem on the intel. Thank you.

bethel
11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
I downloaded the upgrade. Did not fix this problem on the intel MacBook. When I double click on an object or scene file, LW opens, but no object or scene.

Chilton
11-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Bethel,

Try dragging and dropping the scene or object into the Layout window and see if that works. If so, it will help me narrow down what is happening there.

Thanks!
-Chilton

bethel
11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I dragged and dropped the scene into Layout. Again, it asks for objects (I loaded the object), scene opens, but its empty.
I dragged the object to Modeler. The open GL took about 10 sec. to update (I basically get a gray workspace), when the program opens, no object. Thanks! Again, this is on my intel MacBook.

Giacomo99
11-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Hello-

FYI, I'm on an older Mac (dual 2.5 G5) and I get the same problem opening files--neither double-clicking the icon (.lwo or .lws) nor dragging-and-dropping to the LW 9.3.1 icon (Layout or Modeler) in the dock--will open the file: the app launches and I get an "Error reading "file X" message.

I have to say it's really irritating.

symko
11-30-2007, 02:25 PM
More FYI: On my new iMac 2.8 intel, i had the same problem... but... 9.3.1 seems to have fixed it. I also had problems updating date via hub before and 9.3.1 seems to have fixed that as well.

Sean Martin
12-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Well after having the weekend to test out 9.3.1, modeler seems to be pretty much unusable on my Dual G5 power pc, crashing after resizing windows and other minor tasks. Seem that other users are having the same problems in the mac forums.

Heading back to plain old 9.3 now.

Chilton
12-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi Sean,

Please send me any crash logs you have regarding this issue. There are no known crashing bugs in Modeler, so I'd like to find out what is happening there.

-Chilton

Sean Martin
12-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the reply I have private emailed you the crash log

bethel
12-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Use the Textured Wireframe or Shade modes when modeling. Seems to temporarily fix the weirdness. I tried applying displacement map on my machine and it seems fine in Lightwave.