PDA

View Full Version : Clunky after a render

Otterman
09-11-2007, 03:14 AM
Ever since 9.2 and more recently 9.3 ive experienced lw being extreamly clunky right after a render. Can take up to a minute before i can even select a window or input into a field-its a real ball ache and really messing up my work flow! The dreaded spinning beachball mocks me as well!

Is this a problem for any1 else. Ive tried renaming the hub and binning the preferences and still no joy-boo blumin hoo!

G5 4x2.5 Ghz PowerPC G5
4.5 GB
OS X 10.4.8

brian.coates
09-11-2007, 03:56 AM
This is just a guess but you could try replacing the dongle driver, ( System Disk /Library/Frameworks/Eve3.framework).

StereoMike
09-11-2007, 04:35 AM
I use windows x64 and encountered the same issue. The bigger and more complex the scenes are, the longer it take for LW to come back after a render.
Even when hitting "abort".
mike

Otterman
09-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Hum-its worth a try id say-any1 know where i can download the latest Eve3.framework for the mac?

toby
09-12-2007, 02:04 AM
I use windows x64 and encountered the same issue. The bigger and more complex the scenes are, the longer it take for LW to come back after a render.
Even when hitting "abort".
mike
Whenever I see that I suspect it's because there are subpatch objects with different values for Display and Render. When they're the same, the renderer uses the OpenGL subdivision - when they're not, it has to recalculate it, then dump the extra data when it's done. You can see it doing this in the render display. Try setting them all the same.

The other thing that could cause a real drag in workflow, is if you're using
MENTAL RAY IN MAYA. Slowest f'ing workflow since 3DSMax!!! And Linux is no charmer either... somebody shoot me!! 8/

StereoMike
09-12-2007, 03:46 AM
:hijack:
Hey Toby, is that a general issue with MR? I will get xsi today (which has MR)...

mike

Otterman
09-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Hmm-no subpatching in my scene-its a hefty 1 thou. Im thinkin its an openGL issue. If i just stick to the 1 view and bounding box checked it seems to behave itself-absolutely no delay at all!

toby
09-13-2007, 02:14 AM
:hijack:
Hey Toby, is that a general issue with MR? I will get xsi today (which has MR)...

mike
It's mostly Maya. Make an object, and you've got 3!! Rename the object, no wait, you have to change all 3!! Wanna make it (them?) unseen by camera? Go into the Mental Ray tab, uh, wait, which Mental Ray tab?? The one in the shape node or the one in the transform node?? Wanna make 20 things unseen by camera? Start scripting!

I hear that XSI is much better, I'd like to try it. Much better MR integration too.