PDA

View Full Version : angle of movie on surface relative to cam

Johnny
09-10-2007, 07:12 PM
I have a scene where there's a movie showing on a screen (just a simple rectangle).

when the camera goes vertically straight up, the angle of the movie screen relative to the cam changes, of course, but the movie playing ON the screen doesn't seem to conform to this relationship; almost as the the movie screen is a hole, and we're seeing the movie thru it!

to see what I mean, just pick up any photo and change the angle you look at it.

now, imagine you change the angle of the photo, but the image on it doesn't flatten out, but stays the same angle as though the image ON the photo is independent of the object itself.

THAT is my problem.

any clues as to how I can fix this?

thanks!

J

jameswillmott
09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Front projection mapping?

toby
09-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Planar map should work fine. Check that nothing has become a reference object in the texture, that can happen by itself sometimes.

Johnny
09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Planar map should work fine. Check that nothing has become a reference object in the texture, that can happen by itself sometimes.

OK...it's "Front" now (projection method). You're saying it needs to be Planar?

also, how/where can I see if something has become a reference object in the texture? is that like "Reference Camera" should be "none?"

thank you!

J

toby
09-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Front Projection is projected from the camera, so it will never look distorted. Set it to Planar, and set that to the plane your 'movie screen' was built on, usually Z.

When you set it to planar you'll see that there's a list for Reference Objects instead of Cameras - leave it at none.

Johnny
09-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Front Projection is projected from the camera, so it will never look distorted. Set it to Planar, and set that to the plane your 'movie screen' was built on, usually Z.

When you set it to planar you'll see that there's a list for Reference Objects instead of Cameras - leave it at none.

OK thank you..that's how I'll set things when I re-do the scene, prbly today or tomorrow!

J

Johnny
09-13-2007, 06:39 PM
OK..I'm in here now setting up the way you've suggested yet I am having a problem in that I can 't get the movie to map correctly. it either distorts or tiles, and I have monkeyed with all combos of the "Tile" pulldown menus.

Projection is set to "Planar"

Reference I left alone, but that sez (none)

does this mean I need to UV map the movie to my "screen" poly and if so, does this open a whole new can of worms?

J

toby
09-14-2007, 02:08 AM
If your polygon is facing the z and you have z set in your texture, there's only two more things you need - the polygon needs to be the same aspect ratio as the video file, then click Automatic size. If it's not the same size, you'll have to make the scale of the texture match the video file, and set the tiling options to Reset.

Johnny
09-17-2007, 10:13 AM
OK... thank you for the suggestions...got it to working now so that the film distorts properly with changing cam angle..

makes a big difference...

J