PDA

View Full Version : Texture problem with skytracer baked boxes.

Mipmap
09-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm having some strange problem using a sky texture in Layout. On all of the edges of the box I get these dark lines that do not exist in the actual image files themselves. All of the pieces on the box were auto fit so they were sized up to fit the edges of the cube perfectly.

Despite this I get these visible seams on the box that show up in both OpenGL and my renders. Anti-aliasing does not remove them. There is no smoothing set on the surface of the box, they are 0% diffuse and 100% illumination.

Also, I even made a large canvas in Photoshop and snapped these images side by side, and they line up perfectly with no seam at all, yet in Lightwave I get these lines.

brian.coates
09-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Do you have 'Render Lines' turned on under your render options?

Only thing I can think of I'm afraid...

brian.coates
09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
scale the UV's in a couple of pixels [say 4]
Now THAT is an elegant solution. :D

Mipmap
09-10-2007, 09:09 PM
They aren't UVs. They are 6 individual images on a cube that has one surface per side which the images are mapped onto with the Automatic Sizing function so the edges of the texture should (hopefully) be perfectly fit to the edge of the polygon so that it is completely seamless.

One odd thing I had noticed was that these lines completely disappear in OpenGL when I turn off pixel blending. I don't know yet if this tells me anything useful about how I can make these unwanted lines go away when rendering.

Here is a picture below of what seems to happen in OpenGL and rendering, vs. the actual texture file in Photoshop of the same thing, where you can see these lines do not exist in the texture. Look at the very left edge of the picture. These tiny screwups create visible lines on the edges of all polygons of the sky box.

Mipmap
09-10-2007, 10:47 PM
I got it fixed. Very shortly after making that example picture I noticed wrong colors in the line looked like the colors from the opposite side of the texture. So I changed my width and height tiling options from "Repeat" to "Edge" and it works fine.

I'm just confused why it didn't line up in the first place. I didn't realize that just because pixels are being blended that it was going to grab pixels that were not on the polygon before blending was applied.

Thats for the help and advice everyone.