PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a plug or .ls

ptstudio
09-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi, it's been a while,

I'm currently working in LW9.3 and have been with Lightwave since 6.5. That length of time with a program you'd think I'd have found out how to do this! I'm sure when someone enlightens me, I'll feel like a real maroon.

I'm looking for a snap tool, plug or lscript which snaps the selected geometry to wherever your cursor is at the moment. In other words select geometry> select snap tool or plug > tap cursor in viewport > watch all selected geometry center up on your cursor.

Some time back I created a model of the aircraft carrier USS Reagan. It was a very large model and challenged my video card to the limit. If you can imagine "dragging" a teeny model of a filing cabinet the complete length of an aircraft carrier (copying and pasting one in every office on board) you'll understand why something like this would be valuable. Even dragging an F18 from the back of the boat to the front catapults could take half an hour to do precisely(considering you had to have the 200k geometry of the flightdeck "on" while you were dragging 100k polygons of F18 around). A "snap geometry to cursor" tool or plug would have been ideal . . . even if you had to snap in multiple viewports to set the x,y and z center.

I know you can set offsets in the move dialogue box but thats incredible cumbersome when dealing with the dimensions of an aircraft carrier.

Anyone know of a plug or tool or lscript that does this?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

PT Studio

Lightwolf
09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
If I'm not mistaken then "Jump Points" or 'j' does that, only for selected points though.

Cheers,
Mike

ptstudio
09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi Lightwolf,

you are not mistaken and that's exactly what I was looking for. When did they sneak that in? I can't find it mentioned in the index or table of contents in the manuals. I could have saved days of work on the carrier had I known this. Thanks immensely.

Here's the carrier BTW:

http://ptstudios.tripod.com/carrier.html

Interestingly, I did an airbrush illustration which looks surprisingly similar to your avatoar some years back. can't remember if it was for Red Robin restaurants or Moosehead beer.

Thanks again!. BTW I've used the key-command and it works for points. Is there a menu command located somewhere?

Best,

Pat

Lightwolf
09-10-2007, 01:30 PM
When did they sneak that in? I can't find it mentioned in the index or table of contents in the manuals.
You don't want to know... I think this is old, old, old (as in pre-6.0). ;)
And yes, it should be in the manual.

Cheers,
Mike