PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new Mac

GATOR
09-10-2007, 08:35 AM
My G5 just isn't keeping up with my work flow anymore. I haven't paid much attention to things dual/quad intel universal binary...etc.

If you've bought a new mac lately, what's your configuration and are you pleased with it? Any pitfalls to watch out for? Which video card?

I do mostly high resolution detailed print stuff or short animation work. Lightwave 9.3, Photoshop CS2 and After Effects 7.0 is where I spend the bulk of my time. I use a two-screen setup.

Thanks for any input.

GATOR
09-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Oops, I meant "My G4" isn't keeping up.

Steamthrower
09-10-2007, 09:24 AM
I have a MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with an ATI 128 GPU, 1 GB of RAM, and a 120 GB HD.

I bought a laptop because I work both from home and the office, and want to show stuff to clients often. I run Lightwave 9.3, Premiere Pro, Photoshop CS1, Flash 8, Dreamweaver 8, and a few other intensive apps. No problems for me, though I need more RAM in the thing.

Some people seem to have errors with the 9.3 UB but you can always use 9.2 until the bugs are worked out.

JeffrySG
09-10-2007, 09:35 AM
I've been very happy with my MacPro 2.66 / 5GB ram / ATIX1900 vid card.

The biggest thing you'll need to be very aware of is that if you're going to be using the MacUB LW you'll have to use UB plugins (plugins that end with the ".plugin" not ".p") - which means - no fPrime yet (if you use fP) as well as many other major plugins out there. Some of the plugins are coming out now in UB, but it's going slow so far.

There are a few little issues with the 9.3UB but nothing they are not going to fix in the next update and it is very very fast.

I upgraded from my old G4 - and boy - it was an amazing speed increase!

Scazzino
09-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I went from the original version of the dual processor 2GHz G5 to the 8 core (2xQuadCore) 3GHz Mac Pro with 5GB RAM and the ATI X1900XT.

It screams. :thumbsup:

Phil
09-10-2007, 10:04 AM
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB. Half-Life 2 works very nicely on it as well :D The only fly in the ointment is the hard disk. Laptop drives are losing out in the GB race. Toshiba will ship a 320 GB unit in January 2008 :( Sucks.

I now lose portability due to the need to strap external harddisks to the machine.

Glendalough
09-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm in the same postion. What about this idea of the next generation to be out this fall with maybe better graphic cards. True or not, what are the odds? Talking about the MacPros.

Largemedium
09-10-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm in the same postion. What about this idea of the next generation to be out this fall with maybe better graphic cards. True or not, what are the odds? Talking about the MacPros.

The MacPro's are due. It's been over a year since they came out and they have had only one major refresh. With the new chips coming out and the fact that it's been so long, I would definitely wait unless you need something now. If you bought now, you would be paying a premium for somewhat old technology. However, with the exception of the limited graphics card options, the currently shipping machines are very nice and you will see a huge speed increase over your G4.

toby
09-10-2007, 11:21 PM
The MacPro's are due. It's been over a year since they came out and they have had only one major refresh. With the new chips coming out and the fact that it's been so long, I would definitely wait unless you need something now.
I've been wondering about that - how are they going to top an 3ghz/8 core machine? I'm not sure if you can even get those procs for PCs yet. What are the new ones like?

LW_Will
09-13-2007, 05:25 AM
I wouldn't think that the Mac Pro computers will be rev'd until the next WWDC in May (?) next year... although they did release some at the end of Feb last year, so its anybody's guess.

The one thing I thought that was a bit hidden about new iMacs is that the high end one is basically the same guts as a MB or MBP... you can get it with a half terra drive and 4 gig ram...

The MBP now have a nVidia GeForce 8600M GT 64 or 128mb for the 17" monitor.

If you need portability, defineatle get the MBP you will not be disappointed.

I'd get one of the xenon 4 core systems, they are less expensive and should be more than powerful enough for what you want. Plus, you can reuse those monitors! (Course, you can reuse one of the monitors with the iMac or the MBP...)

GATOR
09-13-2007, 05:58 AM
One thing I was wondering was if the difference between getting a 4 core or an 8 core would be reflected in twice the rendering speed, or if there was some bottleneck in the pipeline so that getting an 8 core would only be marginally different. I've seen some speed test comparisons, but they were for other programs. Since Lightwave is my key 3D program I'd like to know what others have experienced.

I see a lot of Photoshop comparisons as well, but my workflow even with a dual 1.25 is just fine in PS.

gerry_g
09-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah I use a dual2.7 PPC for CS3 but I render everything 3D on an 8 core, it's not quite a linear speed increase but it's pretty darned close, if you can afford one get one it'll set you free rendering wise.

toby
09-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Why aren't there any 8-core benchmarks on blanos.com? Can some of you 8-core guys take a few minutes? Even if you just do 1 test ( I never bother with the old tests that only take a few seconds, so little of that time is actually rendering ), do tracer radiosity!

avkills
09-16-2007, 10:42 PM
I am excited in the fact that I may have one of those 8-core beasts in my office at work here soon. :)

-mark