PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxel Explosion Glow and Corona Question

evolross
09-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm creating a hypervoxel explosion and I'm trying to get the hypervoxels to glow when they are representing the bottom, flame and fire part of the explosion. I use identical gradient layers to set the color and luminosity of the hypervoxels. Because there is no "Glow" setting on hypervoxels I went to use Corona (since Bloom affects the whole frame).

So I'm trying to get Corona to work on the "Luminance" input channel because I want it to affect only the high luminosity hypervoxels. I have the hypervoxels set to like 900% Luminosity (at the right position in the gradient) and the Corona Luminance input channel to about 700% and it still will not give the hypervoxels a glowing effect. I don't want to use the Color channel in Corona because it affects other white parts of my frame, and I preferably don't want to mess with comping it. Does Corona not process hypervoxels?

If not, does anyone know a good strategy. I added some point lights with lens flares to emulate the glow, and this looks cool, but not as good as there are still these bright yellow, very opaque, hypervoxels that aren't glowing and it looks very funny.

jameswillmott
09-10-2007, 08:20 AM
You might have to apply the glow in post...

evolross
09-10-2007, 03:41 PM
You might have to apply the glow in post...

Are you referring to Lightwave Post or real post (like AfterEffects)? (If Lightwave, I mention I'm trying to use Corona, which is a post effect.)

I think the problem might be that my hypervoxels are set to Object Type: Volume and not Surface. It could be that Corona's Luminance input channel only sees Surface Luminosity and not Volumetric Luminosity....anyone know? This seems like it could be a common issue.

:question:

toby
09-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Wow, looks like it just doesn't work with HV. The only thing I can think of is rendering them separately, then applying the glow in AE.

flakester
09-11-2007, 03:54 AM
Render your HVs as a separate pass, as a 32bit format (tiff32, rad, exr....etc...), then you can take it into AfterEffects (as rightly mentioned above) and play with the exposure (will create nice 'hotspots') before you apply any extra effects like glow or the like.

flakester.

Mr Rid
09-11-2007, 04:45 AM
If determined to do this in 3D (taking the long way) you might try an extra 'glow' layer of hazy sprites.

evolross
09-12-2007, 08:11 AM
I guess I'll render it seperately, apply glow effects, and comp it back into the frame.

taproot2
09-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I pulled these off all in LW9.3
Both are part of the same explosion.

toby
09-13-2007, 01:10 AM
uhh... ok, is there a price, or are you just trying to build tension!? :)