PDA

View Full Version : Slow reaction

tomtm
09-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi,

I check out Speededit 1.2
It's fast from realtime performance, but i find the reaction if I hit play and stop very slow. To stop the movie with the tab key, the latency is about half a second, if hit again, it doesn't play instantly compared to Premiere Pro.
Why? I have a dual Xeon dual core and a fast sidecar raid.
So it shouldn't be a performance quastion.

Thanks Tom

Realimagesvideo
09-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Tom,

I have the same type computer and the same issue.

tomtm
09-09-2007, 07:53 AM
aha, so if I am not alone with this, there must be a
problem with SE.... I can't work this way.... too sad... because the application
would be really fast. Beside that, where are the frameblending for timestretching?

greets Tom

Mediaworx
09-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Same problem here. We do a lot of cut to music and I must say, this issue makes SE cumbersome at best. Unuseable at worst.

ScorpioProd
09-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Same problem here. :thumbsdow

It really is a big issue, especially for a product that claims "speed" as its name.

I moved to Vegas 7 for a while and when I came back, yow, it struck me like a brick wall. I really didn't realize it before I compared.

Play, pause, stop, j,k,l are VERY slow to respond versus Vegas 7, which is the only other NLE I have to compare it to.

I hadn't heard any of the users mention this before, so I assumed it was only me.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

Scott Bates
09-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Nope, you're not alone, just thought it was my long-in-the-tooth systems.

tomtm
09-09-2007, 06:36 PM
:agree:

one other thing I really don't like..... maybe I do it wrong, but can someone of you trim frame by frame? I know, that trim with hold down ctrl key makes
smaller steps, but it's nearly impossible to trim, frame by frame.
Maybe it's because the latency is too big too...

Maybe a Newtek'er could bring some light in the dark.

Greets Tom

Bobt
09-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I did a project with hundreds of clips.
This wasnt too bad on a VT system. With SE its
impossible. Same system the difference is striking.
So maybe speed of the edit is not a big deal or maybe
you are expected to zoom up
down and trim quickly when you have a busy timeline?

Just saying comparing from the old VT to the new SE the OLD VT is
kicking its butt..

ScorpioProd
09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
I just confirmed what Bob sees. VT[4] 4.6c's VT-EDIT does NOT exhibit the same slow response that SE 1.2 does!

Very weird, indeed. I hadn't noticed the difference before, basically when SE came out I stopped using VT-EDIT.

My system is also rather long-in-the-tooth, but neither VT-EDIT nor Vegas 7 exhibit this problem, so that points at SE as the problem.

Mediaworx
09-10-2007, 09:14 AM
We have a dual 3.0 system built for VT. There is no comparison, VTEdit blows SE out of the water. We switched to SE for one project because of a crash and subsequent VT card failure. Both myself and my editor can't wait to get this thing finished and get back to using VTEdit.

tomtm
09-10-2007, 04:07 PM
VT edit should be more powerful, that's right if you compare the price.
But this strange latency in SE makes this application useless for
cutting. Can't imagine to cut for a musicvideo or something with
short sequences. I re-switched to Premiere again...
The is no advantage for SE as long this problem exist.

Greets Tom

ScorpioProd
09-10-2007, 11:01 PM
No, actually it shouldn't be. VT-EDIT is a previous generation product. SpeedEDIT is Newtek's latest generation NLE.

The main cost of VT[4] isn't for VT-EDIT.

cholo
09-11-2007, 12:59 AM
AFAIK, the brief pause before video starts playing is the time speedEDIT takes to buffer as much video as possible to get the most real time performance out of the processor. I do find it surprising that so many people aren't able to put up with half a second buffering before playback, when the linear systems I started editing with had to preroll for a full 5-10 seconds before watching any previews. :)
Some tips for improving performance: Turn off those icons in your timeline, get rid of background rendering, and if all else fails, turn off the undo buffer (at your own risk) :)

tomtm
09-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Thanks for optimizing advisies.... but it didn't shorted the latency.
Hmmm, aer you sure about speed edit need to buffer as much as possible.
When I press stop, the same delay appears.... ich you scrub in the timeline
it's also delayed.... SpeedEdit is very fast indeed and the features unique, but to work with delay it's not the way it should be.... So I pefere to have a kind of proxy preview but in realtime like adobe or fcp does.
Speed Edit should look deeper in, I guess it's a bug or an unsolved problem.

Greets Tom

PIZAZZ
09-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Check and see if the reaction time is the same if you clik on play/stop with a mouse vs. using the keyboard shortcuts. Just a theory I am testing. We noticed some difference on one of our systems here.

UnCommonGrafx
09-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Welp,
I could never use SE on my dual box: just too slow. Having moved up to an amd 64x duocore blah blah, I find that EVERYTHING is snappy. I can even record rtvs in VT again!! WHOOO HOOO!! (The newer codecs have been a bust for me in working with DFX, et al, such that I am unable to use them at this time.)

So, what that has shown me is that the code in se is not optimized for scalability to a dual xeon box. VTEdit 4.6c, too, for that matter as I was unable to capture rtvs after the update.

I find the delay more dependent upon the drive I am pulling from and whether I am pulling from more than one drive or not. I'll pay attention to this today.

Realimagesvideo
09-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Pizazz,

It's the same whether you use the keyboard short cuts or the interface. This kind of delay in not accepted when one is using other systems including VT4.6. I still use my VT4.6 as my workhorse for more "important" video projects. I am all ready looking at other editors (Adobe Premire) because I am not too happy with SpeedEdit 1.X. Being a long time Amiga Video Toaster user begining with beta .09, Newtek must address such issues if it wish to retain a loyal customer base.

Mediaworx
09-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Check and see if the reaction time is the same if you clik on play/stop with a mouse vs. using the keyboard shortcuts. Just a theory I am testing. We noticed some difference on one of our systems here.

It does take the delay down somewhat but not significant enough to make a difference. I just did a contrast and comparison between SE and VTEdit, and hands down, VT is by far quicker on the draw. There is a tiny delay in VTEdit, perhaps 10-15 milliseconds. Scrubbing is also much cleaner.

UnCommonGrafx
09-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Well,
Seems that the Gimbles approach still stands: if they don't have what you want, get something else that fits your needs. It really feels like this is what they want us to do. I am not getting a "We are listening AND ACTING upon what you are saying" vibe from them anymore. It feels like the programmers are on their own trip without concerns for the "loyal customer base". Many things un-fixed and incomplete while they roll out new stuff at non-credible pricing. And presumably with the same limitations as the old stuff.

Seems Jim's slip at NAB to "pay more and get less" is what they've decided upon.

snippage
Being a long time Amiga Video Toaster user begining with beta .09, Newtek must address such issues if it wish to retain a loyal customer base.

Gary Robinson
09-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I personally feel that Newtek is acting and has always acted on exactly what the customer wants. Whenever a new feature list is announced, to me, it's almost exactly what I've seen requested on the forums. Don't forget that SpeedEDIT itself came after people requested mobile VT editing. I'll bet that the next SpeedEDIT version will include "reduced latency."

Paul Lara
09-13-2007, 01:15 PM
It's not quite fair to compare VT-Edit and SpeedEDIT, as our migration away from the VT hardware necessitated a COMPLETE re-write of code.

Yes, I see that start/stop delay you're talking about, and I noticed it is reduced a bit by going to Preferences > Output > Video Output Window Quality > Low

Yes, Robert, we are listening, and acting on bugs and feature requests.

ScorpioProd
09-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Uh... Not fair to compare the response speed of Newtek's previous NLE to their current NLE? Really???

So, this is gonna be fixed, Paul?

I mean, obviously, you wouldn't expect us to use a low quality preview for very long, right?

UnCommonGrafx
09-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Paul, I want that to be the case.
As a 'lowly' user (who may be back in a school setting REAL SOON now) I have to say that my requests have been met with ... responses I've found difficult to believe were stated.

I don't want a lot. I've given up the idea of NewTek putting all this glorious code into an uber-app; now, I just want everything to be watertight so that I can have a live box that works without gotchyas. I'm even done requesting locking clips, a dve engine that works with overlays and anything else I've requested over the past five years because I just don't have time for 'faith' in this area.

It would be awfully ... polite ... to hear what fixes are coming down the line that also do away with old limitations and gotchyas. It would be real nice to have in SE what it says I'm supposed to have on the packaging, i.e., interpolated motion. It will be real nice for the next iteration of SE to have the issue of this thread resolved. Will I be mad if these things aren't the case?
Nah. But I will speak to the fact that these things are still lingering unresolved.
If nothing else, I wish that it were heard, "Just stop with the new, completely fix the old issues instead of propogating them throughout the product line and
do that which is 'hard and unsexy'.

I'm not trying to be a NegaTivo; I am, though, speaking up as a paying customer what it is that I want.
And Gary, I appreciate that you feel that way. I want that feeling back!

Wegg
09-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Turn off those icons in your timeline,

Sorry for the stupid question but. . . how does one turn off those icons? I can't find that in the documentation or the interface. I know I'm probably staring right at it but. . . can't find it. :-(

tomtm
09-13-2007, 08:07 PM
low qualitiy doesn't really give faster reaction.....
and one more.... isn't there a way to collaps targa-sequences in the browser.
if you have a folder with thousands .tga, SE needs minutes to read thur the files.......

and what happened to the realtime slowmotion with blended frames, as it was advertised in SE Version 1.0 ?

Greets Tom

ScorpioProd
09-14-2007, 12:16 AM
and what happened to the realtime slowmotion with blended frames, as it was advertised in SE Version 1.0 ?

That was a misprint that sadly made it through many press anouncements and the early boxes. It's gone on new boxes. But please, it was NOT blended frames, it was INTERPOLATED frames, trust me, those are better.

"Just stop with the new, completely fix the old issues instead of propogating them throughout the product line and
do that which is 'hard and unsexy'.

That can't happen, Robert. The money is made with new features, not fixing old. That's sadly the reality for any company, there always has to be a compromise, but for some of these things, it's been a really long time since the issues were pointed out. Actually, the money is only made with new features if they are DIFFERENT than anyone else's features. Getting "new to us" features that others already have isn't really sexy, either.

Note: I don't blame the engineers/programmers, they do great work. But they can only do what they are told to do. I had a career as an engineer before, I know what it's like.

UnCommonGrafx
09-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Eugene,
I gotta ask because I'm not sure if this is a tongue-in-cheek response or not. ;)

Question: if any or all of the following were 'fixed', how much of a need for Vegas8 would you need and would you have shelved SE?

- Locking clips
- ability to organize and add shortcut keys to tool shed presets
- DVE with overlay
- overlays with sub-projects
- audio drift and pop that seems to plague many
- ability to add an effect to a single clip
- ability to add a DVE to a single clip
- timcode overlay
- interpolated slow motion
- the ability to display the timeline in frames or timecode
- batch capture problems
- now new ones such as HDCam support
- VST preset saving
- QT support based on the latest sdk

I guess my thinking is, "The money is made with a quality product where old problems are resolved within a year, or so, while new features are being introduced. Not where old problems are propogated throughout the new feature set during an extensive re-write of the code."

I know what you are saying is the sad reality, Eugene, but I really feel that it doesn't have to be: NewTek is a rebel company that can behave outside the box in giving it's users what they want. The issues above have been written about much more than VirtualSets so I'm curious as to who has been asking for VS so much stronger than for the fixes above...

Was that you, Eugene, sending a request in once a week for Virtual Sets?
:phone_cal 8~ :devil:

That can't happen, Robert. The money is made with new features, not fixing old. That's sadly the reality for any company, there always has to be a compromise, but for some of these things, it's been a really long time since the issues were pointed out. Actually, the money is only made with new features if they are DIFFERENT than anyone else's features. Getting "new to us" features that others already have isn't really sexy, either.

Note: I don't blame the engineers/programmers, they do great work. But they can only do what they are told to do. I had a career as an engineer before, I know what it's like.

Rich Deustachio
09-14-2007, 10:32 AM
It's not quite fair to compare VT-Edit and SpeedEDIT, as our migration away from the VT hardware necessitated a COMPLETE re-write of code.

Well since SE is the editor in VT5 it's only natural to be concerned about how SE works.

PeteF
09-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Pizazz,

...I am all ready looking at other editors (Adobe Premire) because I am not too happy with SpeedEdit 1.X...

Don't both with Premiere Pro 3. Run away as fast as you can from that application! (I only wish I had cut my last three projects in VT3, or a demo of Vegas, even as SD rather than HD). The playback has huge lag times, locks up frequently, or crashes constantly. The titler forgets it's settings. Some images refuse to show up, and I get video black instead. This on a newly configured BOXX 7400 quad.

I was over here to check up on the status of SE, thinking about switching and upgrading VT3 to VT5. So posts here are concerning. Lag times in playback can be a headache when fine tuning clips down to the frame, or timing voice-overs. Maybe it's an HDV issue, and just too much to handle yet.

I've read that Vegas 8 is out, and it's 32bit (good for LW renders). I'm heading over there next.

ScorpioProd
09-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Maybe it's an HDV issue, and just too much to handle yet.

Sadly, we're seeing the problem with normal DV footage.

ScorpioProd
09-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Question: if any or all of the following were 'fixed', how much of a need for Vegas8 would you need and would you have shelved SE?

Valid question. You're right, add in FrameServer to TMPGEnc to your list, and SE would be able to do all I need and I wouldn't need Vegas 7 (soon to be Vegas Pro 8 for an upgrade cost of $149.95!)

NewTek is a rebel company that can behave outside the box in giving it's users what they want.

But isn't that a double-edged sword, Robert? I mean, I would think a rebel company is gonna be thinking mainly about the exciting stuff, like stuff others haven't done, versus the needed standard stuff that others already have.

Was that you, Eugene, sending a request in once a week for Virtual Sets?
:phone_cal 8~ :devil:

Damn, caught me, Robert! :hey:

ACross
09-14-2007, 02:17 PM
I am surprised that so much is being read into the fact that SpeedEDIT reacts slower than VT-Edit did. This is not a company conspiracy to hurt our users ;) If this is an issue (which it sounds like it is) then if you ask me, it is a bug that we need to fix ...

Andrew

jcupp
09-14-2007, 03:40 PM
It's an issue, on my machine (Intel MB, PentiumD 3.4GHz, nVidia 7600) there is a variable delay after pressing play of between 1 and 2 seconds. And a similar delay after pressing stop. VTEdit on the same machine is instantaneous. Scrubbing is almost impossible; it just jumps in what looks to be two second intervals unless you are zoomed way in.

Even turning off the video output window completely doesn't make an appreciable difference in the reaction speed.

Ivan
09-14-2007, 05:51 PM
If this is an issue (which it sounds like it is)

Seems everyone that uses it noticed. Don't you guys have a copy?? You can use mine, I'm not using it...:thumbsup:

Ivan

joevideo
09-14-2007, 11:07 PM
I have been having problems with my SE not wanting to play my clips properly. Tech support suggested the problem might be caused by an inadequate video display board. Could this be part of the problem here as well?

I have been running the Nvidia 5500 (poor SE performance). I have just replaced it with the Nvidia 7300 GT (SE performance some better), but my system is still unable to playback properly half of the time.

I think Newtek needs to let us know if there are known problems with the throughput of our graphics cards - and which cards are acceptable with SE.

It would be great if SE performed as well as VT4.6 with the same graphics cards.

Joe

ScorpioProd
09-15-2007, 01:09 AM
But that's the thing, it certainly should perform as well as VT-EDIT can do on the SAME system with DV clips. There is no reason it shouldn't. I don't see any reason one should need a more powerful graphics card with SE than with VT to get the SAME performance for DV.

And honestly, I can get as many real-time DV layers with SpeedEDIT as I can with VT-EDIT, but I have heard this isn't true for everyone.

But the issue here is the reaction speed of the playback controls, that's where SpeedEDIT falls down.

In defense of Newtek, I am willing to bet they are only running SE on higher-end current machines, so maybe they don't see this problem at all. That's certainly possible. If so, I really think they should try it on the editing workhorse machines that many of us still have, cause I don't think SE scales down very well based on computer capabilities. It scales up well, but down, no, based on this thread, if nothing else.

And again, if one is only working in DV, one certainly shouldn't have to upgrade ANY of one's hardware to fix the problem in SE, if VT-EDIT doesn't show the problem at all.

And yes Andrew, it is bugged in Newtek's bug database.

PeteF
09-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Lagging performance on Dv is concerning. However, I must have been spoiled by uncompressed/newtek RTVs and the instant responsiveness of VTNT/2/3. I still have Bob's old realtime RTV plugin for Premiere 6, and cutting RTVs on that was a simple joy.

I'm testing Premiere Pro 1.5.1, CS3, against the demo of Vegas 8. I find that vegas has alot more controls in regards to playback vs. PPro, and it's possible to degrade the video enough to keep it going. One thing for certain is that PPro only plays well in desktop or VFW mode, and in my opinion, for straight cuts single layers, Premiere seems more responsive at quality resolution vs. Vegas, yet quickly falls apart on effects as the project builds. Vegas, through reduced playback quality, keeps going and makes it possible to finish the job quicker and avoid delays in hung apps and crashing.

PPro uses a huge amount of resources and it's easy to understand the instability issues as you can quickly run out of room to play. Funny that adobe says that PPro automatically degrades to keep things going. That may be the issue, as it virtually stops or goes to black while the audio keeps churning along. Vegas uses only half the resources and provides twice the capability and controls.

My point is that HDV is memory intesive format, regardless of whether it's mpeg or cineform wavelet avi. I would expect miracles of full resolution, full screen playback on my old dual xeon. But I like how Vegas deals with that very issue by allow me to choose the compromise to keep things flowing smoothly.

How does Speed Edit compare? Is it more like Premiere or Vegas in that respect?

Bobt
09-15-2007, 01:49 PM
This is what Vegas has always been good at.. playing on lesser machines.
What its not good at is going is scaling up to uncompressed playback at full
resolution. It also doesnt have multiple color space support as Premiere does.
So its kind of a trade. I am surprised that you are seeing such instabiity.
Premiere Pro (1.0) was very stable, maybe adding all the HD formats have
made it unstable.

Bob

PS When I read you were using RTV's in Premiere 6 it put a smile on my
face. Those were real hard plugins to make ut taught me a lot. :)

ScorpioProd
09-15-2007, 03:53 PM
How does Speed Edit compare? Is it more like Premiere or Vegas in that respect?
Well, if you're picking between the two, based on your descriptions, no question, SE behaves more like Premiere than like Vegas.

But honestly, that's really not the right program to compare SE to. SE is most like EDIUS 4. Both SE and EDIUS 4 are real-time/full-quality ALL the time, or else NOTHING. Vegas degrades gracefully, while your audio never starts stuttering or such. Stuttering audio is what will happen if you exceed the real-time capability of your system with SE or EDIUS 4. SE would need to background render FIRST, to prevent this. You would need to pre-render in EDIUS 4.

This is why I also feel the Vegas method is superior, it doesn't slow me down, and I see and HEAR all that I need to to get my edits done quickly and correctly.

Of course, if you have the newest most powerful PC out there, and if you are staying in the real-time playback domain, then SE or EDIUS 4 will give you a higher quality preview output in real-time than Vegas 7 will.

But once you start to go to an older, slower machine, Vegas 7's method is the only practical solution.

PeteF
09-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Bob, PPro is fine with SD resolution. PPro 1.5.1 is more stable than CS2 and CS3 with HDV material, albeit slow and more like Vegas in choppy playback. My only guess is that CS3 now uses more resources to make up for the playback, but for the sake of stability. I can see this happening on my dual xeon, but not my quad opteron. I frequently take projects home, and can tell you that both machines exhibit the same issues. Just poorly implemented code.

I think Vegas would be the compromise, as Eugene points out, I can still edit acturately to half-rez, slightly soft video that doesn't skip a beat vs. full rez, stuttering material. If the folks at Adobe would just give the user more controls over resolution, rathen than just "draft" mode. Frankly, were talking about proxy's anyway -that's basically what Vegas is doing (even AE does that), and doing it in realtime. That's impressive when you think about it.

What I like about the vt3 is not so much the live, but how impressive it looks when editing with clients. Even if I edited a piece on Premiere, I would preview the final clip in vt3. So a vt5 upgrade concerns me in that respect. Sounds like it's nothing more than a seat of SE with hooks into the card.

SteelPicR
09-18-2007, 11:21 PM
I went from a dual Xeon to a quad machine and from VT2 to VT4 and and I'm seeing a very noticeable difference in lag time. I just did a multi-cam project to music and it took way longer than it should have due to having to readjust clips and zoom in and out to get the cuts where they should be. Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference! I never had this problem with VT2.

billmi
09-19-2007, 06:43 AM
The recent passing of a friend left me with some open time in the car on a road trip. That meant some time to poke around with ToasterScript and dig under SpeedEdit's hood a little, and resulted in this scropt.

It doesn't fix the problem of SpeedEdit not stopping playback immediately when the space bar is pressed, so much as provide a work-around, so that the lag doesn't leave the edit line past where you wanted it to stop.

CMS Brakes replaces SpeedEdit's pause/play function that is activated by the spacebar, k or <shift>k. It compensates for the play/pause lag by stopping playback and then moving the edit line back to where it was when you hit the space bar. Even though you'll still see the lag as SpeedEdit skids to a halt, the edit line will end up where you wanted it to be, which is what matters in the end.

To install it CMS Brakes, download the .zip file, open it, and drag cms_brakes.ToasterScript to c:\ProgramFiles\NewTek\SpeedEdit\Skins\VideoEditor \MainWindow\Main\UserScripts or equivalent directory if you have SpeedEdit installed somewhere other than c:\ProgramFiles\NewTek\SpeedEdit. If you are running Vista, Windows will require you to confirm the action.

That's it. It will be in operation the next time you run SpeedEdit. If you don't like it, just de-install it by deleting cms_brakes.ToasterScript from the UserScripts directory and it's gone. Because it runs as a user script, it does not replace, delete or alter the installed SpeedEdit software.

Mediaworx
09-19-2007, 09:27 AM
I found another workaround. Click on the pause icon instead of using start/stop. Although cumbersome it does start and stop the clip almost instantaneously

axaboss
09-21-2007, 10:08 AM
I haven't used my copy of SE professionally since I bought it. I monkeyed with it, but its not a very effective program overall. Reaction time is vitally important in pro-editing. This should have been implemented since day one.

Currently I use it on small Lightwave approval samples for clients. I won't take it further than that.

Sorry NewTek. I gave it a chance. Can't recommend it to anyone until it's improved. I'm still hopeful. :)

John Perkins
09-21-2007, 11:11 PM
We are working on the issue and it does relate to having to use random Windows audio cards and buffering frames to assure A/V sync and accurate framerates.

If you have the VT card output enabled, have you noticed an improvement in stopping?

ScorpioProd
09-22-2007, 12:31 AM
If you have the VT card output enabled, have you noticed an improvement in stopping?
Yes.

Bobt
09-22-2007, 05:10 AM
Make sure to test it with 200 clips tossed up on
the timeline John.. It went from clunky to funky
as you added more and more clips. This is with
SD DV clips no less. Nothing fancy.
GOOD luck..

Quiet1onTheSet
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Bump!

...CMS Brakes replaces SpeedEdit's pause/play function that is activated by the spacebar, k or <shift>k. Just found out about this neat little user-script (since we've been using VT-EDIT from VT[4] ver 4.6 up until recently). Now we've been cutting our teeth on SpeedEDIT-VT.

Appreciate your efforts here, Billmi.

Q1
:tcicon:

billmi
08-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Heh, first I've heard back from anyone on it. Glad it's helping you.

ScorpioProd
08-07-2008, 01:18 PM
But didn't Newtek make any progress in fixing it as of SE 1.5.5???

I mean, John seemed like he was making progress in the past...

Oh, wait, the user is talking about SE-VT, that doesn't have the update...

Quiet1onTheSet
08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh, wait, the user is talking about SE-VT, that doesn't have the update...

Q1
:D
:tsktsk:

CROUTON213
09-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi, I notice the 1 - 3 second delay on a very fast system with Vista 64 and it is frustrating because it feels sluggish and unresponsive. It seems like SpeedEDIT is doing something to ramp it up and down for realtime playback, like someone else mentioned, but I am only playing a mono 44.1 16bit Voice Over track. Anyway, I'd love to have control over it so that I could just disable realtime optimization and have INSTANT start and stop.