PDA

View Full Version : Looking up for some beta testers

garg
09-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi,

I'm working on a new release of Amleto (a distributed rendering tool), and would need a few willing beta tester which have at least 3 computers and some time to test the new version.

Interested people should contact me directly at [email protected] and I will provide a download link as soon as possible.

Feature of the new Amleto:
- Support for some LW 9.3 rendering options directly in the Amleto interface (you can change the rendering quality from there)
- Full distributed: you can have as many nodes as you want (even more than one node per PC, and start as many "controller interfaces" and still see the full status of your jobs.
- Auto discover of your Lightwave installation (should at least :-P )
- Auto setup of the nodes (it copies all the needed LW files and change the config files for you)
- Nodes discover the server automatically (on the same network)
- Image preview / animation preview
- Amleto can be run a service (both the controller and the nodes) or as normal window interface.
- Full setup takes less than 5 min

Requirements:
- Windows 2K or above (XP or Vista is better)
- .NET 2.0 installed (or you will need to install it)
- LW 9.3 installed (we could try with older version too, but it's not assured all will work).
- Some free time to test it :-P

Those of you which will really test it will receive a free license at the end.

Cheers,

Alain Bertrand

Lewis
09-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi Alain !

Can it render ONE frame over multiple machines ???

thanks

garg
09-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Currently it doesn't support this feature, however this is something which will be added very soon. Or at least as soon as I'm confident that the already implemented features are correctly working ;-)

Lewis
09-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Count me IN then ;).

Phil
09-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Bugger. No OS X implementation likely, via Mono or similar?

eagleeyed
09-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Well at the moment I have 4 computers ready to render at the moment, and I will be rendering about 5 minutes worth of frames at 25 frames a sec in the coming weeks so I should be able to test it efficently.

Count me in.

garg
09-07-2007, 09:31 PM
eagleeyed and Lewis, I will need your email address, so send me an email and I will reply with the first beta version.

Phil: I tested Mono on Linux (for another project) and indeed it supports most features of .NET 2.0, now for this particular project I'm not sure all would be supported, and also I don't have access to a Mac OSX to test it. Beside that, I do not plan to offer any Mac OSX port simply because it would require too much time for me to make a version for Mac.

BTW (beside eaglyeyed and Lewis which could still email me), I will not accept anymore beta testers for the moment, thanks.

eagleeyed
09-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks, I have downloaded it from the email you sent me and am installing it now on a few comps.

And from what I am initially seeing I am quite impressed, when I start rendering I will have a good impression of what it can do. Great work.

Will keep you updated. :)

garg
09-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback, and yes please, keep me informed. As said it should be really, really easy to setup and use.

joseba
09-08-2007, 04:13 AM
We have 3 Lightwave licenses at work. We can try it, we are currently using screamernet2 a lot.

garg
09-08-2007, 07:58 AM
I believe I already have enough beta testers for the moment. I will keep you informed of the development.

voriax
09-09-2007, 12:48 AM
I have an 8 - 12 node farm, so count me in if you need more.

pixym
09-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Currently it doesn't support this feature, however this is something which will be added very soon.

So you have to change the term "distributed rendering" because, distributed means render a still across the whole renderfarm. For example like Vray, Final render, Mental ray do this by using buckets.

Phil
09-10-2007, 03:09 AM
Phil: I tested Mono on Linux (for another project) and indeed it supports most features of .NET 2.0, now for this particular project I'm not sure all would be supported, and also I don't have access to a Mac OSX to test it. Beside that, I do not plan to offer any Mac OSX port simply because it would require too much time for me to make a version for Mac.

Why .NET in any case? It seems overkill for a render manager and Java would have been cross-platform. Oh well. I wonder if Spider works under WINE....

garg
09-11-2007, 10:58 PM
pixym: beside the fact that for me, distributed means simply that you share the work load over multiple PC, and if you have a sequence to render, sending jobs over multiple pc is exactly that, I'm happy to say that now Amleto support the rendering of a single frame over multiple PC. It was just question of time ;-)

Phil: .Net for a few reasons: first it's the Microsoft standard for any new development, that where they invest all their effort, and it provides a huge library of functions which are just what's needed here. For example all the network communication is done using a technique called "Remoting" which is similar to the Java "RMI" but easier to use. Also developing applications with .Net is a lot easier than developing with Java. In any case, if you have a Mac, you could try to run Amleto on it, and tell us how it works :-P

monovich
09-12-2007, 12:26 AM
tried to look up some info on your site, but it doesn't look like it's been updated in a LONG time.

garg
09-12-2007, 03:38 AM
Indeed it hasn't been updated lately. And the Amleto pages do not reflect the new version I'm currently working on. As soon as I will have a release candidate I will update the pages with the screen shots and explanations.

Quite a lot has changed from Amleto 2.x to Amleto 3.x:
- It's a complete rewrite (even the language used to program it changed).
- The communication protocol is different.
- The way Amleto need to be setup is different (as it should be nearly all automatic)

So wait a bit more and you will get all the needed informations as well as the possibility to use for free a limited version.

KSTAR
09-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I always like working with Amleto 2, it was so easy to use :thumbsup: . So I cant wait for Amelto 3. Do you have an estimate for its release date? Perfect world scenario :)

scratch33
09-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I can confirme that for now, amleto 3.0 is awesome. really.:thumbsup:

Andrew March
09-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Looks like your sites been hacked, getting a redirect to a dodgy search engine.

eagleeyed
09-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Yes, I will second what Andrew March has said, the link to Armeto's software page does indeed link to a search engine page.

robk
09-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Alain

I little off topic but I emailed your site about 2 months ago about Visual texture not working with LW 64. We use Visual texture quite often in our office and we would like to know whether to chuck it out or not?

Rob Klein
Liquid Light 3D Graphics Inc