PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Materials Shaders using the Node editor

pva
09-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Hi:

I'm trying to reproduce this material:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=5142&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

in another object (not a simple sphere, a more complex one) but I can't get that kind of caustics to work in my scene so...

.. anybody can make a fast tutorial for this please?

Thanks.

JeffrySG
09-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Actually it would be great if there were training videos and sample files of all the new material nodes on the NT site. Some of the node setups are not really that intuitive and some videos / sample files would really help people get started. :)

pva
09-07-2007, 07:11 PM
So, theres no one there who can bring us a little of light with this issue? :(

StevieB
09-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Sorry man, I honestly don't have a clue how to do that stuff yet... If I find out I'll let ya know tho...

anieves
09-07-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm in the middle of writing an update for the materials section of the Lightwave 9 texturing book, it will cover all of the materials; it'll be free for those who have purchased the book. So material is being developed.

If caustics aren't shown in your scene it's most likely a lighting issue and not a material issue. What's your light rig like?

pva
09-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I think I've found the issue, I was trying to light my scene using Final Gather but this type of Radiosity doesn't manage with caustics, so I'll try with Monte Carlo and see what happens :)

starbase1
09-11-2007, 03:08 AM
I think you are going to see that fail too - a caustic (in real life) is caused by a strong small or near point source - a distributed source will smear it into invisibility.

serge
09-11-2007, 05:36 AM
I think you are going to see that fail too - a caustic (in real life) is caused by a strong small or near point source - a distributed source will smear it into invisibility.
I've got a glass of water here on my desk, and I notice the caustics very well. No lights on in my room, it's daytime and not sunny outside.

IMI
09-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Actually it would be great if there were training videos and sample files of all the new material nodes on the NT site. Some of the node setups are not really that intuitive and some videos / sample files would really help people get started. :)

:agree: :agree:

And to say some are "not really that intuitive" is putting it mildly. So much about many of the nodes depends largely on lighting in the scene. It gets frustrating.