PDA

View Full Version : Is Character Animation the new black?

Wonderpup
09-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that CA seems to be becoming a bit of a fashion accessory in the corporate market these days. Untill recently I was being asked mostly for the spinning logo school of work- or for widgit animations.

Now suddenly, in the last few months, everyone and his dog seems to want animated characters. Is this just me, or have all those pixar movies finaly seeped into the corporate mind set?

It's like everyone suddenly wants to squeeze a character into their projects, no matter how inappropriate it may be to the actual job.

Anyone else seeing this?

cresshead
09-06-2007, 05:47 AM
yup...it's a growing trend...though not 'everywhere' just yet and a good reason to get lw up to scratch with CA soon.

it's probably a mix of the amount of cg films, zbrush making characters easy peesy plus wanting to have a character identity
rather than just a shiny logo.

omeone
09-06-2007, 05:47 AM
"Mascots are the new logos"

(at least that's what I keep trying to tell them anyway)

With the digital age finally becoming really easily accessible (multimedia websites, full colour letterheads and business cards) they are able to take advantage of the friendly and personal feelings generated by a mascot that you can't get from a logo. Before it was only reasonable to develop a mascot if you were advertising on TV.

My 2 cents anyway :)

Nicolas Jordan
09-06-2007, 08:42 AM
The big question is are these clients willing to pay much more for this?

Scazzino
09-06-2007, 08:47 AM

"Ah, that, is the right queston." ;)

cagey5
09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
I generally hate mascot company logos. Most are patronising at best and a close cousin of the Microsoft paperclip at worst. As you may guess, any company trying to get me to warm to them by use of animated character is out of luck.

That's not to say I don't love all kinds of animations, because I do, it's just that particular use of it I dislike.

Not entirely unrelated, I came across a shopping trolley the other day with a sign on it saying 'If you find me, I'm probably lost, please ring my owners on .....' Arrrggggghh. Who's responsible for this infantilisation of the general public? Immature marketing men?

omeone
09-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Interesting view cagey5!
I don't 'hate' any of them ... yet... knowing me I probably will when it becomes over-saturated.
By the way, are we talking about logos with eyes and arms added or full characters like the Churchill Insurance dog?

I'd guess responsibility lies at the feet of market analysis rather than immaturity though.

cagey5
09-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Yep, hate!! I thought about it before I used it.. lol. And also the word generally because there are exceptions and I think the Churchill one is a case in point, which I think is well executed and done from a knowing history and affection of the old nodding dog in the back windows of cars.
One of the worst I saw [again not animated but only due to the cost involved at the time, I'm sure] was on entering Glasgow a number of years ago to be greeted with huge cutouts of a purple Lion dotted down the road with messages to please ring Lenny the Lion if I spotted any poor surfaces etc that needed attention. WHAT??? since when did 5 year olds drive cars. I don't think I've been back to Glasgow since.

But yes, bouncy, cheap, condescending characters being light-hearted and jolly is enough to make my blood boil.... And calm......

omeone
09-06-2007, 10:09 AM
that 'please ring lenny the Lion' does sound a bit off :D

there's one on TV that is soooo bad it it makes me cringe a bit
'hastings direct' I think, I don't know how they got away with it...

cresshead
09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
ahh your just miffed that you didn't get paid for him!

https://www.hastingsdirect.com/quote/faces/theme/images/Motorquote/harry.gif

i think it's cute!

Wonderpup
09-06-2007, 03:30 PM

Yeah, that is the problem- it's hard to explain why the cost suddenly shoots up when a tap dancing elephant in a tutu is added to the mix. (Just an example- no one's asked for that...yet.)

The funny part to me is watching the rationisations being retrofitted to idea after it's already been decided. " We need a tap dancing elephant in a tutu"
"why?"
"Err..well...elephants never forget- right? So...people will remember the elephant and not forget us!"

The other thing that may be driving the interest in characters is a greater awareness of licencing, and the potential for a character to take on a life of it's own- a lot of character stuff in advertising now seems to be an attempt to deliberately manufacture cult icons that can be exploited as properties in their own right, almost independantly of the products they support.

omeone
09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
ahh your just miffed that you didn't get paid for him! ....yeah - you might be right :o

i think it's cute!

no wait... you're talking nonsense! :D

ericsmith
09-06-2007, 04:59 PM
The other thing that may be driving the interest in characters is a greater awareness of licencing, and the potential for a character to take on a life of it's own- a lot of character stuff in advertising now seems to be an attempt to deliberately manufacture cult icons that can be exploited as properties in their own right, almost independantly of the products they support.

This is an important point. And the concept is really nothing new. Take Jim Varney, for example. He was originally a spokesman for used car dealerships, and his character was so catchy they ended up making a string of movies with that character (Earnest goes to...)

Now, there's rumours that the caveman characters from the Geiko commercials are getting their own sitcom.

I guess it should come as no surprise that marketing and entertainment can be so connected.

Eric

geothefaust
09-06-2007, 05:48 PM
This is an important point. And the concept is really nothing new. Take Jim Varney, for example. He was originally a spokesman for used car dealerships, and his character was so catchy they ended up making a string of movies with that character (Earnest goes to...)

Now, there's rumours that the caveman characters from the Geiko commercials are getting their own sitcom.

I guess it should come as no surprise that marketing and entertainment can be so connected.

Eric

Yep, it's so true. That caveman thing just about caused me a heart attack... It really is a show now. WTF?

monovich
09-06-2007, 09:53 PM
characters are huge is motion graphics as well, which of course begs the question, when does it cease to be motion graphics and become something else entirely?

jin choung
09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
actually, the question is only partly "will they pay more?"

the other shoe is "will they pay for anything else at all?"

and let me tell ya, there is a glut of people coming from schools of all kinds that are geared up with tshirts that read "i want your job". :)

savannah college, animation mentor, art center, gnomon, ad nauseum.... these places that were jokes when i was getting started are primed and lubed and they are producing some really excellent new animators.

so that's part of it.

the other part of it is that technology is now at a place where character animation is actually DO-ABLE on a budget... such things used to be IMPOSSIBLE beyond the "closet world" dude with the ball head and ik'd arms and legs pinned and the "animator" just bobbling the body around.

so as always, the march of time... errr... marches.... on.

jin

meshpig
09-07-2007, 05:16 AM
... as they say; " a man does good business when he passes a turd".

M

archijam
09-08-2007, 03:26 AM
.. and it often does not involve a lot of original thought, but more idea rip-offs ..
Anyone seen the new Creature Comfort Aardman ripoff don't for NesTea? It's just lame. :(

j.