PDA

View Full Version : LW on an iPod?

BazC
09-06-2007, 01:15 AM
I've just been looking at the new ipods, especially the touch screen one, very cool! The touch screen one is basically an iPhone without the phone and camera. It has wifi, web browsing, OSX etc

From what little I know about it Apple have made it possible to write apps for the iPhone (an now presumably the iPods too) so is it even remotely feasible to have some kind of 3d app running on one? Even a cut down version of Modeler would be useful!

I believe apps are limited to being browser based at the moment(?) but I've no idea how that limits functionality.

Bytehawk
09-06-2007, 04:00 AM
isn't the OS based on OSX ?
probably compiled for another processor. I can hardly imagine they put an intel proc in there

BazC
09-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Yup OSX based. I've just been looking on Apple's site and apparently the touch screen iPod doesn't have Mail or any of the other apps that the iPhone has other than Safari so they might be more limited at the moment. It's only a matter of time before the other apps appear on iPods though.

Bytehawk
09-06-2007, 04:48 AM
mail is not really a problem, most isp's or web packages these days come with webmail.

let's hope it comes with a good app to detect wifi channels (especially the unprotected kind) :)

Kuzey
09-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Even if we had a simple LW object/scene viewer/browser would be cool, something we can load a model or animation, have it play, spin around, zoom in and out etc....all in opengl and in real time :D

Chilton...make it happen my man :D

Kuzey

Matt
09-06-2007, 07:07 AM
A viewer would be useful, but LW on an iPod is just daft, waaaaaaaaay too small to be practically useful.

However, imagine this as a prize for a competition, a brand new iPod Touch pre-loaded with LightWave training videos! That would be cool!

:D

P.S. I actually prefer the Nano, so cute! The Touch is nice but 16GB?!?! I'll wait until they up that next year.

Bytehawk
09-06-2007, 07:59 AM
yeah, I thought the same thing. That's only 48 full mp3 albums at a decent bitrate. Why all those nifty cover flow features if you can only hold 48 cd's worth of content.

mind you, my first Creative DAP only had a hard disk of 6 GB

BazC
09-06-2007, 08:55 AM
A viewer would be useful, but LW on an iPod is just daft, waaaaaaaaay too small to be practically useful.

I don't agree, I could model on the Touch screen. It would be great to while away a train journey or killing time in the dentist's waiting room without lugging a hefty laptop around. Obviously I'm not talking about anything too complex, just relatively small simple models. It would be useful to me anyway!

Bytehawk
09-06-2007, 09:03 AM
hmm try to fit the LW gui in that limited screenspace :)

BazC
09-06-2007, 09:17 AM
hmm try to fit the LW gui in that limited screenspace :)

LOL! Yeah well you'd have to lose the 200 menus :) It was meant as general enquiry whether it might be possible to get a 3d app running on the hardware rather than requesting a port of LW! It would need some adaption of both UI and workflow obviously. There's modelers out there that work very well with virtually no UI at all, Wings3d and Clay for instance so I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity a workflow could be found for that touch screen.

Bytehawk
09-06-2007, 09:19 AM
teddy ?

BazC
09-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, it would be a start I suppose! :D

Chilton
09-06-2007, 10:15 AM
As soon as I finish LW for the iPod Shuffle, I'll be better able to comment on our other plans for the iPod line.

-Chilton

BazC
09-06-2007, 10:22 AM
As soon as I finish LW for the iPod Shuffle, I'll be better able to comment on our other plans for the iPod line.

-Chilton

LOL! All joking aside though Chilton, do you know if a simple creative app could be produced to run on an iPod or iPhone?

Glendalough
09-06-2007, 10:32 AM
You could have some sort of monitor set into sunglasses with micro pixels, like earphones, they'd have to be Ray Bans though.

Chilton
09-06-2007, 10:32 AM
The first 3D app I ever used was Super3D, which ran on a processor much slower (and with far less RAM) than my boring 'ol camera phone has.

But please do not tempt me with fun and futuristic things. I have to figure out why the Hub is slowing down first. Then, maybe, I'll have some time to think about it ;-)

-Chilton

BazC
09-06-2007, 11:10 AM
The first 3D app I ever used was Super3D, which ran on a processor much slower (and with far less RAM) than my boring 'ol camera phone has.

But please do not tempt me with fun and futuristic things. I have to figure out why the Hub is slowing down first. Then, maybe, I'll have some time to think about it ;-)

-Chilton

Awwww! Oh...alright then :(

JeffrySG
09-06-2007, 02:46 PM
darn, I was hoping you could do a version to run on my old Casio calculator watch!

Steamthrower
09-07-2007, 11:20 AM
News for you guys: there is a port for Blender that runs on Pocket PCs. Really; I'm serious. I think it's totally useless, and I haven't loaded it on mine yet, but I guess it's feasible.

I have a Dell Axim with a 624 MHz processor, a 3D GPU, and 64 MB of RAM, whch equals a desktop of the late nineties...

...the screen's only 3 inches by 4 though...

http://www.freewareppc.com/graphics/blenderpocket.shtml

redlum
09-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Ray Bans? For Ray tracing?

Steamthrower
09-07-2007, 03:10 PM
You'd think that someone would be more productive making a "Normal GUI" mod for Blender rather than porting it to PDA.

Steamthrower
09-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Well...

...I just installed Blender on my PDA. And now I'll freely admit I was totally wrong. The original posters who were in favor of a portable device-enabled Lightwave have a point.

Though full-scale modeling and animation per se is complex on a PDA, I can see where this would be very useful in our line of work. After just a few seconds of playing around, I was able to build models, NURBS objects, and freely pan, zoom, and rotate using a few buttons in conjunction with the stylus. The video sequence, timeline, UV editor, and all that is fully functional.

However cool this sounds, the only thing I'll really ever use it for is to show clients models during meetings away from the office. But still...very cool...very fast...yet not justifiable to suck away even more of NewTek's programming resources. Chilton, keep magicking away at LW Mac and don't worry about LW iPod just yet ;)

We can wait on that.