PDA

View Full Version : Soft Clam Shell

P-dog
09-05-2007, 02:04 PM
First, wanna say howdy to all youz guyz.

I'm a newtek newbie (LW9). I was hoping somebody out there in SmartWorld may have an idea about how best to model a balloon - it should resemble a soft clam shell. A rounded disc with clam shell ridges on top and bottom.

It's those darned ridges that give me grief.

Any help would be appreciated.

P-dog

flakester
09-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Howdy P-Dog.

If you're on about what I think you're on about......

I used the attached image as a bump map to add the tension creases to a bird shaped balloon some time back - sorry I only have the bump to show you and not the final output, dang system wipes crossed with a bad memory! :(

For the geometry, I'd say go for a subdivided cube, with subdivisional surfaces turned on (hit tab), and tweak the geometry to your desire.

You may even end up with enough geometry to model in your dents and creases - if not, and if the work will not be subject to long term scrutiny on-screen or wherever - use a bump map (or a displacement map may work a little better) in a similar fashion to the one I've attached here.

I'm not the best modeller around, so don't take my word as gospel - someone else may come up with a much better - or much easier solution.

Be pleased to see what you come up with.
Good luck.

flakester.

SplineGod
09-05-2007, 09:00 PM
make a basic template of the shape of the balloon and then multirail extrude it