PDA

View Full Version : Slow motion playback

marjopar
09-05-2007, 03:15 AM
Hi, I am going to film a live sport event with my VT4, in which I would have the need to replay parts of the event in slow motion. Of course this would have to be done while recording. Is it possible? And how can it be done?

hairudon
09-05-2007, 02:22 PM
well you'd have to have a high speed camera capturing separately from the main capture, and with that, you'd have to cut the clip you were capturing then drop it really quick into edit, and slow it down... not impossible, but you'd have to be very quick

edit: you could do it without a high speed, but the video wouldn't be very fluid

ScorpioProd
09-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Note that neither VT-EDIT nor SpeedEDIT feature interpolated slow motion, so be sure to check if the quality of slow motion provided is good enough for what you need.

billmi
09-06-2007, 05:31 AM
You can do it with the DDR - though as Eugene says - you'll need to evaluate foryourself if you like the slowmo - really it depends how slow you want it to go whether lack of interpolation would be an issue. I would not be so concerned about frame rates and wanting a high-speed camera as making sure the shutterspeed is high on all the cameras, so that the frame by frame is more crisp.

Youngmonkey.ca has some control scripts to make the process of DDR instant replay easier.

marjopar
09-06-2007, 05:46 AM
I don't think I understood well. I can do this on the same machine while mixing and capturing or do I need another computer to do the work with?
I don't think the PC on which I have VT 4 would let me do other things without jamming. And even so, I still have to pay attention to the event to mix and capture.

PIZAZZ
09-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't think I understood well. I can do this on the same machine while mixing and capturing or do I need another computer to do the work with?
I don't think the PC on which I have VT 4 would let me do other things without jamming. And even so, I still have to pay attention to the event to mix and capture.

IF and only IF you system is powerful enough, you can do all this on the same VT system. If you are squeaking by on a P4 single processor with just a couple drives for storage then I would say no. If you have a system like we just built for a client that has Dual Xeon processors and 8 drives in a Raid0 for storage/playback then it is definite YES.

It all depends on your system specs. List the specs here and everything you expect to be doing simultaneously then I can tell you if you can expect to do it everything on your one system.

marjopar
09-06-2007, 08:37 AM
I have a Xeon with a single processor, and a four disk drive raid 0. I don't think it is powerful enough.