PDA

View Full Version : Animating rain in Lightwave

Thalek
09-04-2007, 10:32 PM
We make an odd pair: Rob's an old hand who uses LW 5.6, and I'm a complete newbie with the latest VT[4] version of LW.

But both of us are trying to figure out how to animate reasonably realistic rain in LightWave. Rob found a tutorial that creates an effect more like mist than rain, and I've been experimenting with Fog Tool Deluxe in Poser 7, which works very well by Poser standards, but . . . well, it's not exactly LightWave, now is it?

So, if anyone knows how to make a rain storm to walk or fly through, or even knows of a good tutorial, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know. :bowdown:

Thanks, folks!

SplineGod
09-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Are you referring to rain falling or rain striking a surface?
For rain coming down you can use particles or a point cloud. You can attach HVs surfaced to look like water or fxlink a small raindrop object to the particles.
A particle object composed of single point polys or partigons can also be used along with particle blur.

Thalek
09-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Are you referring to rain falling or rain striking a surface?
For rain coming down you can use particles or a point cloud. You can attach HVs surfaced to look like water or fxlink a small raindrop object to the particles.
A particle object composed of single point polys or partigons can also be used along with particle blur.

Ah, thanks. Once I hit the manuals again, I'll possibly even understand the answer. [wry smile]

In answer to your question, I was interested in rain falling. Rob may or may not be interested in rain striking a surface as well; I'll ask him.

I appreciate the fast response; thanks! :bowdown:

SplineGod
09-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Heres a very simple and quick example of using a cloud of single point polys to create the rain. The crust procedural was used to create the splashes on the ground.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/rain.mov

Thalek
09-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Heres a very simple and quick example of using a cloud of single point polys to create the rain. The crust procedural was used to create the splashes on the ground.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/rain.mov

Very nice!

The crust procedural creates some interesting distortions in the image; I think one would have to choose the surface it affects fairly carefully to minimize those distortions. But for a scene you didn't really study closely, over and over, it's obviously very effective.

These single-point polys had motion blur on them, I take it? (Yeah, I'm VERY new to LW.)

Elmar Moelzer
09-05-2007, 02:27 AM
You could also use multiple semi transparent planes and put a simple tiling Texturemap on them and animate that downwards.
Maybe not a nice, but easy to do and renders fast too.
CU
Elmar

Thalek
09-05-2007, 03:13 AM
You could also use multiple semi transparent planes and put a simple tiling Texturemap on them and animate that downwards.
Maybe not a nice, but easy to do and renders fast too.
CU
Elmar

Since Poser doesn't really have a particle system, that's exactly how Fog Tool Deluxe does it. Yeah, I can imagine it would render a tad faster . . .

SplineGod
09-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Very nice!

The crust procedural creates some interesting distortions in the image; I think one would have to choose the surface it affects fairly carefully to minimize those distortions. But for a scene you didn't really study closely, over and over, it's obviously very effective.

These single-point polys had motion blur on them, I take it? (Yeah, I'm VERY new to LW.)

My example is a couple of polys with that image mapped onto it. The crust procedural is applied as a texture displacement on the image to create the little ripples on the sidewalk area. It was done as a quick test and took about 10 minutes to setup and render.

Thalek
09-05-2007, 08:11 AM
My example is a couple of polys with that image mapped onto it. The crust procedural is applied as a texture displacement on the image to create the little ripples on the sidewalk area. It was done as a quick test and took about 10 minutes to setup and render.

Impressive! It looked like you had gone to much more work than that.

creacon
09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I would also suggest to take a look at Denis' website:

http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Textures.htm

Especially the particle paint texture, you can use it to change the surface when the rain falls down (wet map)

creacon

Sande
09-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Yep, I came to this thread to point out that Denis' Rman-texture, but creacon was faster. :)
I once did rain with a procedurally texture mapped plane in front of camera. The plane had a very small procedural (crumple, if I remember correctly) which was stretched and scrolled in y-axis and mapped to transparency. It looked convincing enough for the shot it was intended and was very fast to setup and render:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/manaatti/sataa.jpg