PDA

View Full Version : Amiga Video Toaster2 questions

inquisitive
09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi,

What was the last version of software for the Amiga Video Toaster, and is there now the possibility to get a Cdrom with the software as opposed to floppies. I recently received an Amiga Video Toaster 2 (I imagine) with software 2.0 3.0 and 3.1 floppies.

In the amiga side was there only two hardware models?
video toaster and video toaster 4000.

Lastly what are people using this for nowdays? and/or how do you all have this interfaced with your newer equipment?

tonyvdb
09-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi,

What was the last version of software for the Amiga Video Toaster, and is there now the possibility to get a Cdrom with the software as opposed to floppies. I recently received an Amiga Video Toaster 2 (I imagine) with software 2.0 3.0 and 3.1 floppies.
For the Amiga the Video Toaster 4000/Flyer was the last hardware to be released and software was 4.3 and is only available on CD rom. You can also get version 4.2 on CD but will not always work with all 4000 boards.

In the amiga side was there only two hardware models?
video toaster and video toaster 4000.
Yes, just the two versions.

Lastly what are people using this for nowdays? and/or how do you all have this interfaced with your newer equipment?
The VT 4 is now out for the PC and is far more flexible than the original Amiga version but at a huge trade off being cost. The VT4 will run you thousands of dollars to get started if you dont already have a very new fast PC set up.
You can not use the Video Toaster hardware from the Amiga in a PC.

inquisitive
09-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Thank you,

I already own the VT2 card with VT4.6 software for the PC (dual 2.8Ghz/2gig of ram etc), just wondering how I can put to use the Amiga stuff as well.

It is not a video toaster 4000 hardware, just the video toaster (original card) w/ 2.0/3.0/3.1.

Any ideas? :)

tonyvdb
09-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Thank you,

Any ideas? :)
No problem.

You can use the Amiga with the toaster as a live switcher The VT 2 was not built for easy live switching but can be done. Obviously you need TBC's on all the 4 inputs if you do want to use the Amiga as a live switcher. If you have a VT2 its probably better all around but the Amiga is a great platform and is still worth $$.

Do you have an Amiga 4000? if so then do not sell it and get yourself a Video Toaster 4000 and Flyer card for it then you have a great editor. The two cards are fairly cheep ($250 or so on ebay).

billmi
09-06-2007, 08:54 AM
The VT 2 was not built for easy live switching but can be done.

Actually, it was built for live switching. VT[2] was the first version of the VT to incorporate live switching, and the card is fully supported under the VT[4] software he's running now.

It has significantly more live switching capabilities than the Amiga based Video Toaster - more inputs, integrated DDRs, no need to synchronize inputs with TBCs, support of firewire, and LAN based video feeds, downstream key simultaneous with DVEs, still store frames can be used simultaneously with DVEs (i.e. in Video Toaster you could not have video warp in over a still store, because any warp effect needed to use both still store buffers to operate,) upscaled VGA output, and it supports y/c, and component video in as well as composite.

That's not to say that the Video Toaster isn't still very viable as a working switcher, but VT[2] through VT[4] (and 5 when it ships) are very much built for live easy switching.

inquisitive
09-06-2007, 12:28 PM
I think there is some confusion.. I believe tony vdb was referring to the Amiga Video Toaster when he typed VT2 because he was mentioning TBC's which the new PC VT2 doesnt need.

- this is what we get for Newtek to use similar names for the same application under different platforms
Amiga Video Toaster and PC VT (which stands for Video Toaster)

I wanted to know how to put to use the Amiga video toaster along side with the PC VT2 w/ 4.6software.

tonyvdb
09-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I think there is some confusion.. I believe tony vdb was referring to the Amiga Video Toaster when he typed VT2 because he was mentioning TBC's which the new PC VT2 doesnt need.

I wanted to know how to put to use the Amiga video toaster along side with the PC VT2 w/ 4.6software.
Sorry, I got myself a bit confused. I was talking about both platforms. I have only seen the VT on the PC in action three times and was unaware that it was easy to use as a live switcher.

There is third party software like the millennium package for the Amiga that alows you to do many things that the Toaster flyer was not able to do before like overlaying keys ontop of transitions or playing two clips at the same time and doing a transition to another clip. It takes a few min to make these as the toaster then has to render the clips into another clip but its well worth the wait.

Using the toaster as a backup or as a feed to the PC's VT2 or a downstream switcher can be done by just taking the Video Toaster program out and sending it into the PC's VT. Or taking the VT2's program out and sending it into the input #1 of the Toaster.