PDA

View Full Version : Bsg

cresshead
09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
bought season 3 on dvd yesterday [release day for u.k.]
watched the first disc [4 ep] and was physically/mentally drained by the end of that disc!:D

[i've seen the whole season but was re-watching without adverts etc]

what a storming story...fantasic stuff!:thumbsup:

also heard that season 4 will be split and shown 2008 for the first half and 2009 for the second half!....:twak:

iconoclasty
09-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Oh jeeze. I've been waiting for season 3. Time to check the local stores.

geothefaust
09-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Man that's crazy! I don't think it's out in North America yet.

Season 3 is amazingly good stuff.

We'll have 2 movies from what I understand between now and the start of season 4.

The Pegasus movie, and for the other the events that take place between seasons 3 and 4. I really can't wait to see everything in it's entirety.

JeffrySG
09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Personally, I thought season 3 was by far my least favorite of them all... I'm hoping season 4 will be a nice end to the show. First of the movies is due out in Nov. in the States. Then the series starts in January...

Phil
09-04-2007, 11:55 PM
I wasn't so keen on season 3. The start of the season was not dark enough, or mean enough, and the resolution to the situation also felt rushed. I was unsatisfied.

The middle portion was intriguing, if at times stretching credibility and, well, also was slow. The final section perked up at least.

It's an inferior season compared to 1 and 2.

jin choung
09-05-2007, 01:31 AM
dude,

whatabout the frickin' galactica jumping into the fing atmosphere! that was suuuuuuuuuuuch a cool idea for a capital ship that's never supposed to surpass ORBIT! much less the stratosphere!

jin

cresshead
09-05-2007, 01:38 AM
yeah the start of that dvd set...first disc is just about THE best 'film' i've seen...characters get torn to bits emotionally and the special effects are literally out of this world...makes starwars and every other film i the last 10 years look like a kindergraden's fingerpainting fx shop was used!.....LIGHTWAVE and ZOIC kicked everyone's butt with that....yeah soem of the following stories later in the season are not 'top spots'...but hey thay had a hard thing to follow up on yeah?...i was actually knackered after watching those 4 stories back to back
on the dvd....you don't get that with films nowdays...sunshine for example needs to be throw out of a window and have a cat vomit on it!
[can be arranged!]

BeeVee
09-05-2007, 02:11 AM
whatabout the frickin' galactica jumping into the fing atmosphere! that was suuuuuuuuuuuch a cool idea for a capital ship that's never supposed to surpass ORBIT! much less the stratosphere!

A truly jaw-dropping moment for the series and hard to talk about it without exclamations... :bowdown:

B

Phil
09-05-2007, 03:25 AM
dude,

jin

Ah, but you miss the run-up to that. The beginning of the season starts with a squalid camp, but no real intense feeling of menace or despair. The webisodes don't help here, either. They've spent 2 seasons building the Cylons up as a menace to humans, trying to kill them at every opportunity. They then establish a Gitmo-like compound on a planet, but the situation is not exploited.

The organisation of the rescue was also rushed. Barely had Sharon set foot on the planet before they were all being rescued. The preparation for the rescue almost had the feeling of getting in the car for a quick run down to the shops.

The rescue is impressive, and the orbital battle as well, but the run-up to this whole sequence left me unimpressed. There are also more filler episodes than I would like in season 3.

cresshead
09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
well i thought it was well paced...more of a film pacing than a 'drawn out soap',
of course each has their merits..a long expanded 'run up' may well have been more of a whole seaon dedicated to it but we live in times of 'ratings' where if a season doesn't kick off well in 4 shows it may get cancelled or dropped form a prime time slot... like that of 'drive'
so with that i can fully see just why it was given a more filmic pacing to that part of the story to make sure the season and show didn't fall in the early show ratings...

Anti-Distinctly
09-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I loved it, and will buy it. But I have to agree that it felt like the last half of this season dragged.
I cant find any mention of commentaries on any websites. Usually the podcasts (which are commentaries) are available. is that the case with this season?

Titus
09-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I loved it, and will buy it. But I have to agree that it felt like the last half of this season dragged.

They used the Star Trek strategy, when you don't have money for more effects.. make your characters talk.

Anti-Distinctly
09-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, they did blow a great deal of their budget on the New Caprica story arc. Still...that was nice.
One thing they dont want to emulate is Star Trek - I'm a fan of that by the way, but it never evolved.

mikala
09-06-2007, 09:11 AM
The effects in the final scene were awful. Looked liked static planes getting a zoomed in on....awful.

cresshead
09-06-2007, 10:11 AM
The effects in the final scene were awful. Looked liked static planes getting a zoomed in on....awful.

but cheap and fast to make...i've yet to see a production with an unlimited budget and timescale for delivery...you have to put any fx shot in context of the budget and the timescale.

i know as we're really getting pinched in our own venus rises production...our deadline was moved from end of year to start of october
and we have ZERO budget...we do it in our spare time.:D

jin choung
09-08-2007, 01:23 PM
you have to put any fx shot in context of the budget and the timescale.

that's true in as much as it reflects on the artists/production house... but the end results speak for themselves.

"the conditions of production do not mitigate the end result. the end result speaks for itself."

i've made lots of crap that had to be crap because of the budget (time/money) and/or that's exactly what the client wanted. but i am NO LESS inclined to call it for what it is - crap! :)

jin

cresshead
09-08-2007, 01:44 PM
yeah lord of the rings trilogy has it's fair share of festering acidic, puss ridden fx shots also..still, it won a lot of praise...fx shots do not make a 'good story'

mikala
09-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Oh I liked the story alright. Just was terribly let down by the presentation of the final sequence.

jin choung
09-08-2007, 02:24 PM
oh man, that one shot of legolas jumping onto his horse in two towers.... that was the first time that i've heard an audience basically gasping (wtf?!) at a PHYSICS gaffe!

jin

Anti-Distinctly
09-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, that looked most perculiar :)