PDA

View Full Version : Lw 9.3 :(

akrantz
09-04-2007, 10:41 AM
So far everything I am doing in LW 9.3 works fine. When the program works that is. Basically, if I leave the program for any reason, to check my email for example or look something up on the web, when I come back to the program it hangs for a ridiculous amount of time before it becomes responsive again, if in fact it ever does become responsive again. Often times I have to restart it all together. Even if it does respond often times the menu options of various windows are gone and have to be closed and reopened sometimes multiple times before they work again. This is by far the worst initial UB release I have seen in all of the software packages I have upgraded since getting an intel mac and there have been many. I am using a 2x 3.0 GHZ Dual Core MacPro with 6GB of ram so there is no reason this should be running as slow as it is.

Scazzino
09-04-2007, 10:58 AM
While they are working on some fixes for these early UB issues... these tips might help you out.

Try turning off the hub by renaming it before launching Layout or Modeler.

If the popup menus/buttons fail to work after returning to LW from another application, switching back out and back into LW should make them functional again, such as by doing command-tab twice...

Darth Mole
09-04-2007, 11:05 AM
I find this a real pain. The app 'focus' is rubbish - I almost always have to switch back to the desktop and then click on the title bar of LW to switch back to it. I think it's like this in UB, but it's sure as hell like it on PPC.

No other app behaves so ludicrously. I have to say I'm growing very weary of LW's inconsistencies and foibles, when I have apps like Photoshop, After Effects, Modo, C4D all behaving 'normally'.

alifx
09-04-2007, 11:37 AM
I have to say I'm growing very weary of LW's inconsistencies and foibles, when I have apps like Photoshop, After Effects, Modo, C4D all behaving 'normally'.

sadly yes, because they don't have that damn "HUB"

the solution in the integration....... by merging the 2 splits :P

iconoclasty
09-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Not gonna happen.

brian.coates
09-04-2007, 06:37 PM
For me the UB works just fine WITH the Hub. Start up time is quite long for some reason but apart from that it's great. The UB feels much more like a 'Mac' application that the CFM version. The differences in render time are pretty remarkable too, ie. 4 mins vs. 22 mins. with the same scene on the same machine.

I haven't had any of the problems akrantz's describes but I'm on a DP 2.0 GHz G5 so how LW 'operates' on an Intel Mac would naturally be different.

Only thing I can suggest is to trash all of your LW preference files and start from scratch. Nine times out of ten that solves the problem with most apps.

I guess some things havent changed since OS 9. :D

If it wasn't for the fact that LWCAD hasn't been ported yet I'd be using the UB full time.

toby
09-05-2007, 12:14 AM
sadly yes, because they don't have that damn "HUB"

the solution in the integration....... by merging the 2 splits :P
The focus issues happen without the hub btw.

akrantz
09-05-2007, 06:12 AM
After deleting all of my preferences and restarting I did see some performance gain, Layout was still very slow to launch and it still required some waiting time when switching back from another app but it was "better" then it has been. However I get the feeling it is working its way back towards ridiculously slow, and that ill probably have to keep trashing my prefs every couple of days.

Darth Mole
09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
What a depressing solution.

Steamthrower
09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I use Lightwave heavily on my Mac. No problems. The machine is a MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, with 1 GB of RAM and a 128 MB graphics card.

Are all that are having problems running it on a slower, comparable, or faster computer? What are your specs?

alifx
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
The focus issues happen without the hub btw.
:thumbsup: .. but it makes problems anyhow for some people there..

I like the separation of Lightwave.. it has advantages but if we looked to it as for developing and features we've got more disadvantages.

openGl must be programmed two times one inside Layout and another inside modeler.. other things also so we get slow developing process.

layout:
-doesn't allow us to animate vertices and polys within it (not talking about softfx hack! :D )

-we don't have such a fast and proper solution for hair styling in layout..

-can't render in modeler for a quick look at errors, shaders ... etc

-modeling tools can't be animated..

-weight maps can't be made in layout.

- :p other things I don't remember for now :D

I'm not upset about that .. I like :lwicon: and I hope we see the real Reborn of LW in the next complete version.. and that maybe v10..?

regards ;)

toby
09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
:thumbsup: .. but it makes problems anyhow for some people there..

tha's why I don't use it!

___mats___
09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I second that

I have terrible lags when using both the PPC and UB 9.3... the menus and buttons become unresponsive.. sometimes for 3 seconds, sometimes it is worse and a beachball pops up.. the PC version is SMOOTH and flies... in comparison.

Will we ever have that on the Mac?? it is really frustrating and a waste of time to work on the Mac, but I need to put it to use !

Matt -

Steamthrower
09-05-2007, 11:51 AM
openGl must be programmed two times one inside Layout and another inside modeler.. other things also so we get slow developing process.

I seriously doubt that's a contributing factor to the slower development of Lightwave. Yet I'd have to admit that the ability to animate vertices, or morph geometry over time using modeling tools, would be quite nice.

zapper1998
09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
I have no problems like that...interesting..

I us the Alt + Tab keys to switch between programs..

Michael

Glendalough
09-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Yes this "focus" issue is very serious (never use the hub), I find it the most irritating thing about 9.3 Version 8 had a greatly improved response over previous versions. Yesterday my Lightwave completely disappeared but continued to render perfectly for hours, even when it finished, there was no way to get it back and had to force quit.

Just wondering if anyone can get 9.3 to open a scene file when clicking it's icon or modeler an object when clicking on said objects icon? Or do you have to navigate through the file requester?

Steamthrower
09-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone can get 9.3 to open a scene file when clicking it's icon or modeler an object when clicking on said objects icon? Or do you have to navigate through the file requester?

I can click directly on a .lws or .lwo file and Layout/Modeler will open. Or, I can drag a file on top of the LW application icon and it'll open it.

Glendalough
09-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I can click directly on a .lws or .lwo file and Layout/Modeler will open. Or, I can drag a file on top of the LW application icon and it'll open it.

Obviously, I presume now, You mean the same file you drop on it opens, not just the application. Wonder why it won't work here, on both computers, in both 9.2 and both versions of 9.3.

Must be something i did with/about the directories???

Steamthrower
09-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Obviously, I presume now, You mean the same file you drop on it opens, not just the application.

Yes. I can drag, say, "ModelOne.lwo" over the blue Modeler icon and it'll open up ModelOne inside Modeler. Or, similarly, "SceneOne.lws" will open in Layout.

My LW 9.3 installation is in my Applications directory, not nested within a Newtek folder.

Puguglybonehead
09-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I haven't even been able to run the 9.3 UB, except in Discovery mode. Where the hell is the license file located? I've always had to use a text editor to enter, my license info, but now, with the UB, I can't even find a 'Programs' folder to put the document into. I'm glad there's a PPC version. No problems at all with that.

Scazzino
09-05-2007, 08:17 PM
The UB license key file is in the current user's Library/Preferences/LightWave3D folder.

Puguglybonehead
09-05-2007, 09:11 PM
The UB license key file is in the current user's Library/Preferences/LightWave3D folder.

Thanks! :) Hey, it runs no problem, whaddyaknow. And it does render faster. I'm getting nearly twice the speed of the PPC install, and this is on a lowly Mini G4! Hmmm, might be able to do a fuzzy-radiosity render of an animation now.

Now to find out what plugins work/don't work. Is there a listing being compiled anywhere?

Largemedium
09-06-2007, 02:47 AM
I'm not upset about that .. I like :lwicon: and I hope we see the real Reborn of LW in the next complete version.. and that maybe v10..?

regards ;)

Isn't that what 9.3 was supposed to be? A Reborn of Lightwave? A UB that rocks our world...

vadermanchild
09-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Yes 9.cycle was to be reborn

Instead it looks more like a foetus - For the less forgiving some might say they are still at the F&[email protected] about stage and the baby is just a hopefull twinkle in their eye.

Certainly feels like that sometimes....

Chilton
09-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Heeeey, enough of that talk here. The first release of the UB 9.x was to get rid of a lot of the cruft that had haunted the Mac version for a long time, and get us to a new place, without losing any of what existing LW users were expecting. We're there now. The bugs people are encountering right now are all solvable, fixable things. And after they are fixed, we'll be in a much better place to start looking at what can be done differently, and where. But these current issues must be fixed first.

-Chilton

Kaiten
09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi

I installed 9.3 on friday and have noticed problems whilst making a preview in Layout, so far Ive been using shaded solid mode and it works fine then crashes after a short period.

I'll have a go at reseting my prefs in the morning to see if that helps, I just wanted to report it.

Cheers Guys for all the hard work

Kaiten

Kaiten
09-06-2007, 03:21 PM
p.s

Im running 9.3 ppc version on

Dual 2gig G5 with 3.5G RAM on OSX 10.3.9

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Glendalough
09-06-2007, 03:26 PM
p.s

Im running 9.3 ppc version on

Dual 2gig G5 with 3.5G RAM on OSX 10.3.9

Cheers

:thumbsup:

I'm having better luck with the UB version on PPC G5 -don't use any 3rd party plugins tho.

Puguglybonehead
09-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Well, I'm really impressed with the Lightwave 9.3 UB. I didn't think it would make any difference to me, being as I'm still on a G4, but, get this. I was rendering a test scene, using 2 models from the LightwaveGroup Resources. An animation, that involved a spacecraft model flying in over a small cityscape. I was averaging 4 minutes/frame on the PPC 9.3 just using raytracing (with recursions limited to 3 and single-pass AA at 3 (Mitchell). I am now rendering the same scene in the UB 9.3 with single-pass AA set to 4 and with Radiosity (Monte Carlo, Interpolated with a 2km distance - speed-cheat) and I am averaging 2 + 1/2 minutes/frame....on the same machine!!

I'm more than impressed with the UB's rendering. Wow!

Holy_wraith
09-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Iíd have problems like that upon starting up the first few times, but it works fine now. Well aside from the fact that several new errors have popped up.

So hereís the deal, some of the windows files on my harddrive got fragged after I overclocked my cpu (lol yes I know). In any case Iíve reinstalled windows and lightwave v9 and now lightwave cant switch between modeller and layout via those little tabs at the top right corners (their faded out), in fact layout doesnít even register in the hub. On top of other things when I subpatch things in modeller now they now appear blocky instead of smooth. Iíve never had these problems before on this PC.

I know this sort of doesnít fit in this thread but Iím getting really desperate lol.
Can anyone help me? or redirect me to an appropriate thread?
Thanks

toby
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
anything besides the Mac forum :)
General Support, Community, PC forums, you should be fine

Otterman
09-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Yesterday my Lightwave completely disappeared but continued to render perfectly for hours, even when it finished, there was no way to get it back and had to force quit.

Wow-im not alone after all-im plaqued with this problem! Its most disconcerting when u have to force quit all your hard work and start all over again! Utter frustration face me!:devil:

Does any1 know if this has been reported as a bug?

Kaiten
09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Okay got myself back up and running today. After installing 9.3 i started having problems and this spread to 9.2 aswell. Managed to sort the problem by deleting 9.3, trashing my preferences and restarting. 9.2 is back on form so Im glad I can get back on with working.

Glendalough> Id love to be on with the UB but Im very reliant on Fprime so it's out of the question at the moment.

Anyway gonna get back to work.

cheers guys