PDA

View Full Version : New Lightwiki hosts please.

Dodgy
09-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Hiya,
I've been trying to edit and add pages on the www.lightwiki.com for a couple of weeks, but a lot of the time I get errors and time outs when trying to post things, that's when it's going at a vaguely decent speed. It makes it very tedious to add stuff to what could be a valuable resource. Could the servers be upgraded or something? I don't know who organised it, but I assume it was NT?

art
09-04-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't think it is hosted on NT's servers. It apears to be hosted on powweb.
I do not know what hosting plan is being used, and I have no idea who the owner is.
I know from personal experience that many of the hosting companies that offer low priced plans are usually doing it by hosting your website on "shared servers". In many cases it means that the speeds might potentially suffer. I guess the the option would be to either upgrade to a better plan, hope that they eventually upgrade the servers or try finding and move to another hosting company (this could be a big headache)

Steamthrower
09-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Slow servers don't really have anything to do with the speed and backend working of a wiki software; it's the MySQL database that has the problem. But which, admittedly, is pretty darn problemous.

Silkrooster
09-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Feel free to add your data on my wiki, and later copy or move to Ben's wiki.
Silk

eagleeyed
09-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Well I can offer this. I currently have a full account that I am not using, I am more than willing to host the domain for free and pay for any costs it involves.

It is currently hosting my website www.eagleeyed.net which has nothing on it. It has 3GB space you can use and 250GB Bandwidth. All hosted at the Planet.

If the person in charge of LightWiki contacts me I will set everything up, just contact me on my Skype name connected to this account or PM me.

Matt
09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Would be cool if NewTek hosted it!

IMI
09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Oh, so it's not just me, then. I've thought about asking what's up with the long load times and the timeouts, but I figured I was just hitting it at the wrong times or something.
Even just now I got a timeout, and the second attempt took about 45 seconds to load the main page. It would be cool to see it on a quicker, more reliable server. :)

BeeVee
09-05-2007, 02:01 AM
A quicker more reliable server would be great for me too, however since this is my private project and nothing to do with NewTek, I have to go with what I can afford. I host another site on there driven by Gallery v1 and it's supersmooth, so the slowness of LightWiki is down to the host's problem with database-driven sites... :(

B

Phil
09-05-2007, 03:27 AM
A quicker more reliable server would be great for me too, however since this is my private project and nothing to do with NewTek, I have to go with what I can afford. I host another site on there driven by Gallery v1 and it's supersmooth, so the slowness of LightWiki is down to the host's problem with database-driven sites... :(

B

Why cannot NewTek host/sponsor it, or have they never been asked? I am hoping they could help without having the apparently significant overhead of NewTek IS crush it.

Marvin could then pillage it for documentation ;) Win-win.

omeone
09-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Lightwiki has gotten too big for it boots, congrats Ben!

I don't think shared hosting is going to hold up as the wiki keeps growing. I'll offer to sponsor year on a dedicated server (with the option to renew ;)).

It should solve the problem and allow for growth if someone else were to sponsor an American based mirror too.

eagleeyed
09-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Well as I said I have a server account that is only running at 2% CPU capacity. I am an account manager for x10 Hosting www.x10hosting.com. I have my own paid account with them.

The server is hosted at The Planet, located in America.

As said before I am more than happy for LightWiki to be moved into that hosting account. I am not using it for anything at the moment at all and will only be hosting a small website when it is being used.

I will give full access to Ben if he wants to persue this offer. I have several IM accounts with different providers, PM me for them.

omeone
09-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Right well, I've just enquired with a friend who does dedicated hosting and he laughed at me, he reckons Dedicated is waaay overkill. Just needs something better than Powweb, "nice peole but cheap for reason". But the offer still stands if you are willing to move, Ben.