PDA

View Full Version : weld points plug in

gpdesigner
09-04-2007, 09:27 AM
hello everyone . . .
Ummmm, is there a plugin available to weld multiple points?
seems lightwave just merges all the points togehter, unfortunately that is not what I need.
I have two objects that I would like to join but I need to weld all 60 points . . this would take days to select 2 points and weld, select 2 points and weld, select2 points and weld, select 2 points and weld . . . then there is the OK button. . .
is there something on the market?
Thanks in advance
gp

art
09-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I think a script to do just that was included as a sample in the LScript user guide. I'll check

art
09-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Try this script (from user guide). Save it with .ls extension. Hopefully this is what you are after:

main
{
selmode(USER);
pntCnt = pointcount();
if (pntCnt == 0)
{
error("No Points selected.");
}

moveId = floor(pntCnt/2);
editbegin();
for(currPnt = 1; currPnt < (moveId + moveId);
currPnt++)
{

pntPos = pointinfo(points[currPnt+1]);
pointmove(points[currPnt],pntPos);
currPnt++;
}
editend();
mergepoints();
}

Castius
09-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Can't the merge command help you with this problem? A picture would be helpful as well.

If i couldn't get what i wanted with the distance setting then i would use the snap drag tool to get the point you want welded together in place them merge.

iconoclasty
09-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Also, if I understand your annoyance with the ok button, if you turn down your alert level under the interface tab of display options (d) then you won't get as many popup alerts.

bjornkn
09-04-2007, 03:34 PM
I use 2 plugins called "Weld pairs" and "Weld strip" for this. Don't know where they came from, but they work great :)
And no OK confirmation needed ;)

gpdesigner
09-04-2007, 03:50 PM
@Art, thanks for the help but that script didn't do quite what I needed. It didn't merge the points one to one, more like 2 by 2. Thanks anyway tho . . .

I use 2 plugins called "Weld pairs" and "Weld strip" for this. Don't know where they came from, but they work great :)
And no OK confirmation needed ;)

Merge Points actually did the trick for me . . . I messed around with it earlier but I didnot use the right settings . . . I recently got LW8.5 so I am new to the tools. Before I was using LW7 and in fact had Weld Pairs and Weld strip but in the upgrade lost those plug-ins . . . .

If it wasn't for Castius post I wouldn't have given merge Points another go . . .
Thanks gentalmen . . .
gp

gpdesigner
09-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Nice post . . . thanks chunderburger, now I can load those back into my machine again . . . I almost felt naked there. Those 2 plugins and cplane are ones I can't live without.
gp

mkiii
09-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Converge points followed by merge is useful in these cases too if the pairs all lie along a plane. Shame NT decided to drop that plugin for some unknown reason.

bjornkn
09-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the tip on cplane :)
It looks very useful !

gpdesigner
09-05-2007, 07:49 PM
cplane is a must

aint that the truth . . . I got tired of modeling on an angle How torchorus was that . . . .
gp

Also because of my update to 8.5 I am now able to use verti-bevel . . . man I am in hog heaven. :D

colkai
09-06-2007, 02:05 AM
CPlane is ok, but JettoLocal is much better, not least of which because;
A) You can save the model in the state of having the modelling plane set and because it stores the info as the layer name, it can realign by running it again on the same layer.
B) you can have different layers all with their own unique 'original' plane stored and running JettoLocal will respond to that specific layout.

I've been using JettoLocal extensively modelling cockpit details and it is a joy and a pleasure to use. Makes doing all the modelling and UV texturing much much easier.

http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1908

bjornkn
09-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Unfortuantely it looks like JettoLocal is gone? It ends up as a 404 - Not Found.
Have it moved, or are they available somewhere else?

colkai
09-06-2007, 05:04 AM
Hmm,
Yeah, can't find it anywhere, well, in the hope I ain't stepping on any toes here...

colkai
09-06-2007, 06:22 AM
I have JettoBevel but that's busted, jetto fillet is too, but TrueFillet is a nice replacement for that.

http://www.trueart.eu/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueFillet

art
09-06-2007, 06:50 AM
EDIT: nevermind :)

bjornkn
09-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks a lot :)
What do you mean about those other Jettos being "busted"? Don't they work with LW 9.x ?

colkai
09-06-2007, 08:36 AM
no, they either go all "funky" or plain don't work.
Shame really, they were really nice to have, but IMO, Truefillet is better than the original Jettofillet anyway.
Funny that JettoLocal still works just grand on 9.X so far though.

colkai
09-07-2007, 01:56 AM
Yup, got those, was thinking more of free alternatives but for sure Pictrix plugins are so affordable even I can justify them! :D