PDA

View Full Version : Envelopes for ParticleFX?

egearbox
09-04-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm having trouble using envelopes to control a ParticleFX Emitter, and I'm not sure if I'm doing something stupid (likely) or if there's a bug (possible).

I'm using LW 9.2 to create a CG "bullet hit" where particles spray outward from the location of a bullet's impact. Naturally, the particles should not appear before the bullet hits, so I've tried to use envelopes to control the Explosion and Z Velocity of the particles so that the action begins at frame 5 instead of frame 0.

Problem: The Particle FX emitter doesn't seem to recognize the envelopes. Whatever the starting value is (for example, 0) continues throughout the frames without change, regardless of the subsequent values.

Any ideas?

Dodgy
09-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Why not used Fixed and the start frame? Or you could use the Key effect (whenever there's a Keyframe on the emitter, it'll emit particles)

cagey5
09-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Just done a very quick rough and ready test here and it seems to work fine. Have you altered the tension of the keys to ensure it tracks exactly on zero until the required frame?

egearbox
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I fiddled around with the Keyframe setting for the emitter and got it working. I guess I just need to spend more time with LW. I don't get the "quality time" to play with it that I really need in order to hone my skills. :)

broccoli
11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
It's great that there's a workaround for this particular circumstance, but i'm running into the same issue...that the Particle FX Emitter is not recognizing it's envelopes, which i need in the velocity x/y/z parameters to direct a particle stream. As i've posted before, the targeting function requires extremly high velocity settings to be effective, which doesn't work well when you want slower particles, so i'm wanting to use either the velocity x/y/z or gravity x/y/z settings instead. only the envelopes for the velocity x/y/z don't work and there are no envelopes available for the gravity x/y/z settings. come on lightwave...way too far down the line for basic stuff like this not to be up and running properly!