PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to do this with collision detection?

sublimationman
09-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Hello,

I set up a lot of scenes in layout for still images. Many of them have lots of objects in close proximity to each other and or touching. It can be a real pain to set them up while making sure they touch (or look like they touch) without going through the other surface.

As an example, if I wanted to fill a bowl with a bunch of dice and want them randomly turned. I could spend hours trying to make sure each dice is laying naturally (supported by others) but at the same time not protruding into other objects.

If there were a way to use collision detection so that when you move an object and it touches another object it would stop? That would make this sort of setup much easier.

Keeping in mind that my end products are still images (90% of the time) I am very adept at modeling but not animating so I am not very familiar with collision detection features. I played with it a little and got it to work for an animated object but don't think it's going to work for what I want to do.

Is there a way?

If not is there a place I could recommend this "feature" to for future versions?

Thanks!

jameswillmott
09-03-2007, 08:23 PM
lw-features(at)newtek(dot)com

This should be able to be done by setting up hard body dynamics and letting the system settle under gravity to a stable solution. I don't think the current dynamics system stabilizes nicely though...

sublimationman
09-03-2007, 08:39 PM
James, true with the example I gave that might work. But many times the items are also floating in space or sitting on a table and they end up touching in the X and Z axis.