PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy!

IMI
09-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I often take a little time in between my projects to attempt to recreate some common object, or anything that catches my attention for whatever reason, just for practice or amusement.
A few hours ago I was thinking about SSS and so on, and wanted to try it on something new, so I quickly modeled a slice of swiss cheese on a plate. That, I only spent a few minutes on, but it's been hours that I've spent since, trying to make this thing look like it ought to.
Due to its shape it's obvious what it's supposed to be, as there aren't a whole lot of objects in the world that look like this. Well, actually, there are two things which look like this: a real slice of swiss cheese, and a cheap plastic imitation of a slice of swiss cheese. Well, three, actually - those two, plus what I have here, which is decidedly un-cheeselike.

I have, at best, an adversarial relationship with the SSS and Material nodes in LW 9.3, but I can usually get something reasonable. However, hours later, trying everything I can think of, and I'm just baffled. I think I have the color about right, but that's all. I even have some real swiss cheese here to look at, but it just ain't happening.
This is simply a fraudulent frommage.
Now, I'm wondering if it's due to the poly structure of the model itself? Would that matter enough? I threw it together pretty quickly without much concern for accuracy, and not much worry about certain render errors, but then I always do that when I get it into my head to make something simply for the sake of experimenting on.
Do any of you have any suggestions? I don't suppose anybody here offhand knows the refraction, trans, reflection and specularity properties for swiss cheese?
It's supposed to be more translucent towards the edges, more dense in the middle...cheesy, not plastic.
This is driving me nuts, because I know it can be done... I think.
Thanks. :)

IMI
09-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Oh, I forgot to upload the LWO file, in case anyone wants to play around with it, or if anyone can look at it and say, "yeah, here's your problem...."
If anyone can, I'd be much obliged. You can have my first-born son. Really. He's almost 14, and is getting to be a royal pain in the *** anyway. ;)

EDIT: tried to upload the file, somehow it didn't happen. Not my day.....

JamesCurtis
09-03-2007, 02:34 PM
IMI,

Best bet is to zip the file and then load it to the forum.

IMI
09-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Well, damn, I thought I could upload the .lwo file, since it asks for "all files"... but I see that .lwo isn't in the list. Duh.
Thanks. :)
Anyway, if anybody checks this out, ignore what may very well be a particularly egregious offense agains the whole nodal thing. The render I made represents what's in this LWO file, but by that point I was grasping at straws, and trying anything and everything.