PDA

View Full Version : Segment Memory allotment in LW 9.3

Joe Battle
09-03-2007, 12:16 PM
I need to decrease my segment memory allotment down from my current setting of 16. I've lost my notes on how or where to access this feature. And so far I can not find a reference in the help manual.
Would someone kindly steer me in the right direction.:)
Thanks, Joe

*Pete*
09-03-2007, 12:25 PM
segment memory of 16??...do you mean Ray recursion level instead?...it is at default 16.

Medi8or
09-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Segment memory limit is also default 16 (MB), isn't it?

You find it in the render globals dialog box..

Joe Battle
09-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Segment memory limit is also default 16 (MB), isn't it?

You find it in the render globals dialog box..

Yes your right. I decreased it a while back with the help of NewTec Tech support to resolve some memory problems. I now need to decrease it yet again. I can lower it to 1 if need be.

I found it there.

Thanks, Joe:)

Joe Battle
09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately this adjustment has not solved my current issue.
On rendering my whole program crashes. Files built in LW 9.2 and 9.3, which rendered no problem before, now crash completely when trying to render.
I've tried a few simple work arounds with no success yet.

Thanks Joe

DogBoy
09-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Tried binning your config files?

Joe Battle
09-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Tried binning your config files?

Not yet but I will now. Thanks, Joe

iconoclasty
09-04-2007, 07:07 AM
I had a similar problem recently and it turned out to be those blasted configs.

byte_fx
09-04-2007, 08:05 AM
I've also had problems with hosed config files.

Now I create a folder and copy the config files to it soon as LW has been ran once.

Then I make a second folder and copy the configs to it after the basic extra plugins have been installed.

Makes it a lot easier to restore evreything.

byte_fx

mkiii
09-06-2007, 03:50 AM
It seems odd that you were advised to *lower* your segment memory limit to ease memory problems.

The accepted (and I mean Newtek) wisdom has always been that you should set the segment memory limit as high as you need because LW does not allocate this memory until it is being used.

IE You can set it to hundreds of megs, but if LW only needs 2 mb, that is all it will use.

Joe Battle
09-06-2007, 01:09 PM
It seems odd that you were advised to *lower* your segment memory limit to ease memory problems.

The accepted (and I mean Newtek) wisdom has always been that you should set the segment memory limit as high as you need because LW does not allocate this memory until it is being used.

IE You can set it to hundreds of megs, but if LW only needs 2 mb, that is all it will use.

Thanks for your experienced input.