PDA

View Full Version : Transparency problems in 9.3

gschrick
09-03-2007, 06:04 AM
I created a scene in 9.2 that had quite a few transparent objects. A few of which used a light incidence transparency gradient. After upgrading to 9.3, I had to make some modifications to the scene, some of the transparent objects don't work anymore, especially the ones with the gradient map.

The scene still works fine in 9.2. Are there some new settings that I have to play with to get my transparent objects to render correctly in 9.3?

flakester
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Not sure that incidence angle gradients would change from 9.2 ---> 9.3?

And I don't want to question your work, but are you sure they are 'incidence angle' gradients?
It looks to me that they are set set to 'distance from' and that maybe the scale [grid units?] has changed between the two.

Mind you, I am only commenting on what I can see here, without seeing the scene and object files.

On a plus note, that's a very pleasing bevel on the text and cutaway logo you have there.

Hope you get it sorted.

flakester.

gschrick
09-03-2007, 11:34 AM
No, they are set to light incidence and each ring has it's own incidence light which only effects that specific object. All the other lights are told to exclude them. So basically the objects are only lit by one light, the incidence light.

The grid distance was a good suggestion, but it didn't change between the 2 versions.

The odd thing is, the 'textured shaded solid' camera view in both versions show the transparency map correctly. Only 9.3 seems to not render it.

flakester
09-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Would you mind posting the object and scene files?

I'm no guru in these matters - but I wouldn't mind taking a look, if just to satisfy my own curiosity!

flakester.

serge
09-03-2007, 04:41 PM
... Are there some new settings that I have to play with to get my transparent objects to render correctly in 9.3?
I have no idea what your scene looks like, so this is just a wild guess. One of the new things in 9.3 is "volume stacking". Transparent surfaces like glass won't render correctly anymore in 9.3 if you have "double sided" on. Maybe this has something to do with your problem.

gschrick
09-04-2007, 03:17 PM
no, the objects are not double sided.

I am trying to compile an abridged versin of the scene for easy upload/download if anyone wants to take a look for themselves.

flakester
09-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Be more than happy to. :thumbsup:

flakester.