PDA

View Full Version : Go support the home team

digefxgrp
09-03-2007, 02:33 AM
Over at www.trinity3d.com there's a ”favorite software” poll happening (scroll down towards the bottom of their home page). Right now LW is in last place, even below Cinema 4D.:eek:

So get over there and get those LW numbers up.
Show the world we're a contender and a force to be reckoned with.:2guns:

eagleeyed
09-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Well I will keep trying but I cant access the site at the moment, stupid thing wont load.

Anyway, even if it doesn't win we know we have the best package, we are just being modest about it.

archijam
09-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Max, Max, Max, Max.

Max has the best modelling and value for money?

All the Max users I know have legitimate licences, but cracked render plugins. Good value(s)... ;)

j.

IMI
09-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Well, it looks like LW's at least above Cinema 4D now. :)

pauland
09-03-2007, 04:31 AM
LW isn't above C4D anywhere at the moment.

Oddly enough, the poll currently shows 381 people as having taken part, yet if you add up the individual votes in any one category they go way above that figure.

I'm assuming that LWs very poor showing says as much about the visitors breakdown to that site as anything else.

IMI
09-03-2007, 05:36 AM
LW isn't above C4D anywhere at the moment.

Oh, you're right, mostly. Currently it has more votes for modeling functionality than C4D at 37-27.
I was looking at the columns, LW being 3rd from the bottom, over C4D and seeing that as 3rd place. Duh.

pauland
09-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Oops - you're right. LW is ahead of C4D in one category. Who'd have thought it would ever be behind in the others a few years back?

cagey5
09-03-2007, 06:05 AM
Oops - you're right. LW is ahead of C4D in one category. Who'd have thought it would ever be behind in the others a few years back?

It always depends who you ask of course. If I go to Bolton and ask who the best football team is, I'm guessing they are going to be somewhat partisan with their answer. Same with every poll or survey.

pauland
09-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Of course people will be partisan. I had always considered C4D to be very much an underdog so it's interesting that it's faring so well in the poll against LW (we won't mention the rest..).

Steamthrower
09-03-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm supposing I can't vote LW about 200 times. Darn cookies and IP trackers.

hrgiger
09-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Those numbers don't look right at all. Seems to be a tad skewed towards Autodesk....

zapper1998
09-03-2007, 09:24 AM
me vote for LW of course

IMI
09-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Those numbers don't look right at all. Seems to be a tad skewed towards Autodesk....

:agree:

LW is over both C4D and XSI in terms of price versus features, and only a little under Maya in that category, but max has more than four times the votes for that. Now, max is, what, like 4 grand or so? And that's only if you don't want to render anything to any great extent.... Not to mention the advanced courses in Convoluted Thinking you need to buy to model anything that looks like anything...
But then again, I see all kinds of VRay this and Evermotion that advertised there.
Hmmm, just a theory, but this may very well be a site more populated by Autodesk max users than other packages. :D

LightWuv
09-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah, voted, but I guess I feel like I'm just messing with numbers that didn't mean shXX to begin with... :D

Wuv

zapper1998
09-03-2007, 10:07 AM
That why I think we all should spend a day there and take it over, LW Revolution....ya...no just kidding...

Steamthrower
09-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Why not jump the Autodesk forums while we're at it...a mass registration of Maxbashers...and let their poor unlucky moderators sort through the smoking remnants...

cresshead
09-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Max, Max, Max, Max.

Max has the best modelling and value for money?

All the Max users I know have legitimate licences, but cracked render plugins. Good value(s)... ;)

j.

well i don't!!!
i use scanline and mental ray..and have bought automatron, materwaves, pro optic suite, head designer, final render stage 0:thumbsup: etc even though haven't needed to sue them for ages.

mental ray seems to do the trick quite welland if not then scanline or radiosity renderer [built into max]

:D

cresshead
09-03-2007, 10:52 AM
just to let you know....
i voted:-
best overall :-max
best modeling :-lightwave
best animation:- max [i love biped, voice o matic and automatron]
best value:- max
[it has everything in the box, from cloth to hair to footstep animation, nolinear animation and a very servicable modeler too.]

that's me being honest from my point of view...shame they didn;t have a rendering Q. as lightwave is pretty strong there.

IMI
09-03-2007, 11:37 AM
...shame they didn;t have a rendering Q. as lightwave is pretty strong there.

I totally :agree:
Although, I don't think it'd matter there. You could probably ask who would you rather decorate your home for you - Martha Stewart or some guy at Autodesk? and see Autodesk way ahead....

Wait, that might not be the best example... :D

Steamthrower
09-03-2007, 12:25 PM
No, I think Martha Stewart's in jail again for assault & battery or something...

IMI
09-03-2007, 01:05 PM
No, I think Martha Stewart's in jail again for assault & battery or something...

Probably DUI. It's the latest trend for female celebrities.
Or pitbull fighting... was that her? Kinda looked like her, but it's getting hard to keep track of who's in trouble for what. :D

Steamthrower
09-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah, either DUI or the black market or the slave trade or something. All the same.

I still say let's go bomb out some 3ds Max forums ;)

mav3rick
09-03-2007, 01:54 PM
lol for 3dsmax best modeling package :)
that must be fanboys choice :)

IMI
09-03-2007, 01:58 PM
No, it's just not nice to pick on max people.
Besides, most of them are too highbrow to recognize anything more blatant than innuendo. Brute force is out. It'd be a wasted effort. :D

Steamthrower
09-03-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm good at innuendo. Especially anti-Maxist innuendos.

"Hey, dude, look at your interface! Do you have the Kindergarten plugin with cute icons for little tikes? Har har har har!"

IMI
09-03-2007, 02:13 PM
:thumbsup: :D :bowdown:

toby
09-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Totally.

And the most obnoxiously pro-Max/anti-everything else people are the same ones who've never used anything else.

Steamthrower
09-03-2007, 03:28 PM
And the most obnoxiously pro-Max/anti-everything else people are the same ones who've never used anything else.

Which, admittedly, could be translated as "And the most obnoxiously pro-Lightwave/anti-everything else people are the same ones who've never used anything else." Except, I have used quite a few other packages and am still a diehard Waver.

IMI
09-03-2007, 03:32 PM
I use max (8.3) regularly - I don't own it, but a very good friend of mine uses it at work, has his own license as well, and has been teaching it to me, sort-of. We use it and LW for the game we're working on.
Personally, I can't stand it, aside from a few very useful plugins that LW doesn't have, such as .dds, but I can at least say that my overall dislike of max does in fact come from a certain amount of experience. It's just not "fun".
Of course, if you asked him, he'd say it's because I have some kind of mental block, but.... ;)

toby
09-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Which, admittedly, could be translated as "And the most obnoxiously pro-Lightwave/anti-everything else people are the same ones who've never used anything else." Except, I have used quite a few other packages and am still a diehard Waver.
Except that I've yet to meet any obnoxiously pro-Lightwave, Maya, XSI, Modo, Houdini... well I did hear about some C4D snobs - but Max snobs take the prize in volume and immaturity. That's not to say every Max user is one those snobs mind you.

Puguglybonehead
09-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Well, it looks like Lightwave is now running a close second to Max in most categories of this poll. Nice goin', peep's! :)

IMI
09-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, it looks like Lightwave is now running a close second to Max in most categories of this poll. Nice goin', peep's! :)

Wow, you're right. I wonder how much this thread had to do with it?
:beerchug: :jam:

Actually, it seems like a huge leap in a short amount of time. The 'wavers of the world have noticed and have spoken. Heh. :lwicon:

It's probably just for marketing, anyway. They sell stuff. if they believe that LW could be as much of a market for plugins and training material, maybe they'll take notice and solicit the creation of more of that for us. :)

Steamthrower
09-03-2007, 04:36 PM
I considered casting my vote about 30 times but somewhere my ethics caught hold.

IMI
09-03-2007, 04:43 PM
I considered casting my vote about 30 times but somewhere my ethics caught hold.

I wouldn't think that would be possible- IP addies and all. Didn't try, and I hope nobody else did. I'm hoping those results are legit. :)

cagey5
09-03-2007, 05:14 PM

Wow, that's an incredible turnaround. Good going guys. :thumbsup:

Tzan
09-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Wow! I voted when LW was back in the 80s

Its weird that it puts up the vote options again, but you cant vote twice. I did check a number/reload page and vote and it didnt register.

The "Number of people who took the poll" thing is just reading the first number next to MAX at the top. Its just showing the wrong variable.

digefxgrp
09-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Ehhhexxxcellent. Everthing is working as planned.
Vader...prepare my shuttle....

(slinks off to hide in another dark recess)

*Pete*
09-04-2007, 08:15 AM

I take it that Lw doesnt need new CA tools, as it is already better than most and equal to Maya :D

Steamthrower
09-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Name me one feature film completely done in Maya.

-EsHrA-
09-04-2007, 08:26 AM
well, i just supported nt with a lw vote... now its time nt starts supporting me.

ha, the results look mighty biased now... zzz :)

mlon

Andyjaggy
09-04-2007, 08:49 AM
I voted. I didn't vote all of them for LW though.

Steamthrower
09-04-2007, 09:34 AM
I didn't either. I considered XSI to have better CA.

cresshead
09-04-2007, 09:40 AM

i'd say 3dsmax+polyboost would make it the best poly modeler

Andyjaggy
09-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Max fanboy ;)

cresshead
09-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Name me one feature film completely done in Maya.

name one feature film done in any single 3d app....i'm stuggling but can only so far come up with kaena the prophecy
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/kaenatheprophecy/

done with 3dsmax 3.1

http://www.sonypictures.com/groups/us/documents/image/gp050331.jpg

as yo can see i have my ''fanboy'' mode on full tilt!

Steamthrower
09-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius was done completely with LW and was a major theater release; I wouldn't want to see it myself, but still a major film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Neutron:_Boy_Genius_%28film%29

pauland
09-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius was done completely with LW and was a major theater release; I wouldn't want to see it myself, but still a major film.

I've seen it and enjoyed it. See it - you won't come to any harm!

cresshead
09-04-2007, 10:33 AM

incorrect...jimmy neutron was made with lightwave [modeling and rendering] PLUS.....project messiah for animation of the characters....so 2 apps...not one...great film btw...technically you could argue that messiah was a ''plugin'' but it's a full app really..just made for animation at that time but can now also render.

cresshead
09-04-2007, 10:38 AM
more detail:-

Davis, who directed and shared producing and screenwriting credits, is proud of the fact that the movie was produced entirely with off-the-shelf tools, principally Newtek's LightWave 3D and project:messiah 1.5, a 3D program from pmG Worldwide LLC. RenderBOXX machines from BOXX Technologies were used for rendering. DNA Productions is not nearly on the scale of Disney or Pixar, but the rich 3D animation in Jimmy Neutron has the quality of anything put out by the big studios. We talked to John Davis on the eve of the Jimmy Neutron’s release about the production process and the challenges faced by DNA Productions’ animation team.

http://www.animationartist.com/2002/01_jan/features/jimmyneutron_johndavis.htm

Steamthrower
09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
I stand corrected. Yet Messiah is still a very Lightwave-oriented program.

They call it (quoting) "Advanced character animation plugin for Lightwave 3D."

*Pete*
09-04-2007, 11:41 AM
name one feature film done in any single 3d app.

star wreck, the pirkinning :thumbsup:

http://www.starwreck.com/

if you didnt see it...do it now!! :thumbsup: Lightwave rules.

Steamthrower
09-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Star Wreck had some amazing graphics done by a small team. Really amazing!