PDA

View Full Version : VT4.6 realtime mpeg 2 campture

siafu
09-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Hello all.

I'm new so be gentle, :)

I have been reading the forum here trying to find an answer if I can capture in realtime mpeg 2 in VT4?

I need mpeg 2 because we need to rebroadcast the live show we just did on a adtec video server right after the show it's done.

So from what i'm seeing that the VT4 is not capable of capturing mpeg 2 or mpeg 4 (the adtec can handle mpg 4 as well)

Is thats the case what are my options, get a realtime Mpeg encoder stand alone box?

Or is there a way software that I can install into the VT computer and in a separate program record the the live feed from the output of the BOB?

I think the PC we have the toaster is powerfull, we just got it last March.

Please let me know, as I need a quick fix, the mpeg encoders we have not do not work with the server we just got, the audio is grumbles a bit, not great for broadcast.

Thank you all. please let me know.

kleima
09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
No, it does not capture MPEG2 in real time. It is difficult to do this as it requires intense encoding that takes more than real-time. I believe there are real-time standalone encoders (set top DVD recorders do this in real-time, but they also mux the signal in and "author" it so it is playable on a DVD player - this does not give you access to the MPEG2 files without software to extract it. You find this software for free on the internet, but I think it is supposed to be illegal in the US.)
Here are a couple links to check out: http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/products/mediarig_encoder/
http://www.elecard.com/products/iptv-solutions/codecworks/mpeg2-encoder.php
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/developer-products-6/sunryze-sd-16541/information-16548.html

I don't know anything about these products, including price.
There are consumer-type products available that may be good enough, depending on your application and budget.

Here is something along that line, that would be cheaper:

http://www.dvd-gear.com/ads-instant-dvd-plus-dv.htm
http://www.darim.co.kr/ftp/mpegator2/mpegator2_f.pdf

kleima
09-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Actually, I just found something better than all those:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/446979-REG/Bosch_VIP1000S2975_VIP1000S2975_Single_Channel_Vid eo_and.html

Without knowing all the prices, I am guessing that this one a reasonably priced middle of the road alternative. I would guess the pro option above are much more and the consumer option above are less.

kleima
09-02-2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=mpeg+encoder&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

More options.

kleima
09-02-2007, 12:15 PM
http://www.dvd-makers.com/public/535.cfm

Another interesting link.

Jim_C
09-02-2007, 12:39 PM
One option is a simple $80 Hauppauge wintv150 mpeg2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116625)tuner card.

I have 4 of them working as home built tivo's and they can capture mpeg2 in real time, and if you use a decent capture program with nice control, the quality is very good. Most negative reviews towards the quality are probably written by those who don't know how to really tinker mpeg2 under the hood.

If you get the settings right you can drop the files on the VT timeline to edit also, whcih is not an easy thing to do with VT. (edit mpeg2 files in VT)

You can dial it from 4k to 12k cbr capture.

They have them at Best Buy. Pick one up, try it. If it's not to your liking, take it back. But it could be a quick easy cheap fix till a larger investment is decided on.

Another option which you have, and I am having a hard time remembering is something like this...

DVD Work Shop which comes with VT can record real time mpeg2 somehow.
You can get it to see the VT card as an input and use it to record real time mpeg2.

This was a post I read long ago and do not remember the facts much at all. I tried to find it but gave up.
I don't use DVD WS so I can't really comment anymore on that idea except for the vague memory of a post.

Any WS users out there know anything about this???

Good Luck,
Jim

lvsoule
09-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi Jim- You caught my interest with this WinTV150 Mpeg2 card. Can it work along side the toaster in the same machine? Or do you have to get a 2nd comptuer to capture to?

lvsoule
09-03-2007, 09:11 PM
I bought WinTVPVR2 for $150.00, but now I'm wondering if I should just get a camcorder that records to .mpg(HDD) and then transfer that file to the computer right after. That would do the mpeg2 capture on the fly. I have to have my programming ready to go by 5:00 am the following morning from a night event. So Anything on the fly is the best, I'm tired of setting my alarm for 4:00 to burn a disc.

Jim_C
09-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Jim- You caught my interest with this WinTV150 Mpeg2 card. Can it work along side the toaster in the same machine? Or do you have to get a 2nd comptuer to capture to?

I imagine so. You might have to do some switching within your chosen capture program to choose the correct capture card (wintv or VT) but I bet it would work fine.

but now I'm wondering if I should just get a camcorder that records to .mpg(HDD) and then transfer that file to the computer right after. That would do the mpeg2 capture on the fly.

Not sure of the thought process here, but the wintv cards do capture real time in mpeg2. But I might be lost on what you are saying.

Jim

lvsoule
09-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I record sporting events from multiple cameras. We have a 9 man crew on our team for getting the production done. I don't have the ability to air "Live", but we do "Live-to-Tape". What goes goes! no editing later. The VT has been great, but after I have to take the video and make it into MPEG2, which takes 5 hours in Adobe Premiere. Also Adobe hates the NT25 stuff, and most Mpeg2 converter do also.

So The VT4 is being utilized for live production and now I'm contemplating adding a card to capture to the same computer so the Mpeg 2 file is real time captured.

Already I'm answering my own question. I think I'll pick up an external WinTV box and a laptop tomorrow. I can't chance the VT fouling up due to a IRQ or mis-compatibility problem.

thanks for your help on this
-Larry

Jim_C
09-04-2007, 08:08 AM
I I think I'll pick up an external WinTV box and a laptop tomorrow. I can't chance the VT fouling up due to a IRQ or mis-compatibility problem.

oh I see.. I wouldn't worry so much about the above if the VT isn't being used at the time, but yea you're right, if you are using the VT it would be quite a stretch to capture with te wintv also.

External wintv, laptop, external hard drive (possibly) should get you going.

billmi
09-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Already I'm answering my own question. I think I'll pick up an external WinTV box and a laptop tomorrow. I can't chance the VT fouling up due to a IRQ or mis-compatibility problem.

You could probably get a DVD Recorder for less - that that will writing MPEG2 as it goes.

Jim_C
09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Hey Bill,

I thought about that too, but I think he needs raw mpeg2 files.

I need mpeg 2 because we need to rebroadcast the live show we just did on a adtec video server right after the show it's done.

Do all DVD burners auto make the TS folders or is there such a thing as a DVD burner that will record an mpeg2 file that us unauthored to vob files?
Or is that just the nature of the DVD beast?

Sorry.. wandered a little OT here...

Jim

lvsoule
09-05-2007, 10:41 PM
I have 2 DVD burners, but I can't figure out how to get the .vob's to .mpg, I know tmpg and a handful of others will do it.

So here's what I did. I bought the winTV and sorry to say I didn't like it. So I looked into HDD cams, but none have av in that I could find. However Pinnacle came through for me. I bought a pinnacle USB .mpeg2 live to computer box for $99! I bought a laptop to go along with it too. It does exactly what I was looking for. The laptop has a DVD+R DL burner so within 32 minutes I have the exact format I need to send off to the producers.

My files typically are about 6.8-7.5 Gigs for a 2.5 to 3 hour production.

thanks for the help
-Larry

Keith Gandy
09-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Don't know if it meets your requirements or not, but dragging vobs to the hard drive and renaming the extension mpg has worked for us. If the Moonlight Elecard player is installed, then they can be edited in the VT timeline.

Larry, what is the pinnacle model number that you found suitable? Sounds very interesting.

lvsoule
09-07-2007, 07:22 AM
They just call it the Pinnacle USB-510. It gets it's power from the USB port and you simply hook either Composit/ or S & some audio. Or you can feed it Firewire. It then sends the .mpg file to the computer via USB. I will be giving it the full run-down this weekend for our football game of the week and let you know how it goes.

I've tried the extension rename with .vob's and for me it has been hit and miss. Some work great and I can edit re-render to other formats etc... But some show just portions and get all messed up, it all depends on the author method (key frames or something).

Plus it would take 7 .vob files to accomplish what I need and I need a single file AQAP.
thanks
-Larry

Jim_C
09-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Sweet Larry!

Glad you got something working....!

What program where you using to capture with the wintv?

It took quite a bit of tweaking before I started getting good results with mine. I use a Tivo like program called BeyondTV and use mine just as Tivos.

I had to change some settings in the beyondTV, the basic settings of the card's app itself and a 3rd party tweak app I found online.
Waaay more than the lay person should have to do to get it working well.

get the .vob's to .mpg, I know tmpg and a handful of others will do it.

True, but then you are introducing another transcode pass and more time and another app to learn and more $$ to buy it.

Throw a copy of speed edit on the new laptop and you should have a pretty handy little 'studio in a box'. :)

Jim

siafu
09-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Thank you all for your input.

After looking at all the options, and I might say that they are all good options, we opteted to buy a the media hub from the same company that makes the video servers.

The hub is $5500, but we know for sure it will work 100% with the video servers, as they are both made by the same company.

But I wanted to thank you all for your input once again.

lvsoule
09-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm glad you got it Siafu. I don't quite want to spend that much right now, but I can see where having good solid equipment is nice.

vanderwielen
09-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Guys, i've been capturing live to MPEG2 using the USB2 version of the hauppauge device for years. We've produced hundreds of state championship games, aired on regional tv doing this by capturing the output of the VT4 /compix CG. If you handle MPEG2s and havent discovered Womble's MPEG video wizard (www.womble.com), you're also missing out on how to effective and non-destructively cut mpegs AND easily convert VOB to MPEG2. It's 69$ and there's nothing like it. You can even splice MPEGs together on their time line without re-rendering. We run on a 495$ best buy lap top.

lvsoule
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
yeah the Haugh machine seemed like it would do the job via USB, but it was more steps than I preferred. If it was always me doing the capturing, with practice I wouldn't mind. I will check out wobble.com. It sounds like what I'm looking for.

vanderwielen
09-10-2007, 06:39 AM
one last comment, with the hauppauge, we start the capture 15 minutes before game time and let it run the whole night. we jot down the break times and scrub to black to find the breaks. honestly, i could not think of an easier way. i'd recommend this to anyone doing sports who whats to walk away from the production done with a digital format ready to air. if fact, when we started doing this most of our affiliates wanted detailed run sheets. but when they got 16 individual mpeg2s numbered in order, they found they simply could drop them into their server and did not need to scrub...find the breaks...set metadata and all that. now, they all want individually cut mpegs (except comcast, who still wants beta)