PDA

View Full Version : How to make one object "reflect" less than others

ALooneyGuy
09-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm sure this is really simple, but for some reason I can't figure it out. I have an ocean scene with a ship in it. I would like the sky to be reflected alot in the ocean, but I would like the ship to only be slightly reflected. Any suggestions how to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Giacomo99
09-02-2007, 07:55 AM
The only way I can think of is to render the elements separately in passes and make the "ship" pass partially transparent.

IMI
09-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Well, for one thing, it would seem to me that in normal circumstances, in the real world everything has only one property for reflection, so, naturally, the ocean would reflect the sky in the same degree that it reflects the ship. I don't think it would look "right" if it didn't.
Although, I believe you could make a weight map for your ocean and cause the area around your ship to be less reflective, but that would affect the reflection of the sky as well, so it'd probably be a pain. Maybe a weight map and a gradient for control of the weight map on the reflection channel might work.
Probably though the quickest and least painful way would be as Giacomo suggests.

Red_Oddity
09-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Use a HDR or a sky texture that goes beyond the 0-100% values in luminous intensity.

Then use tone mapping in post (either via a post program or via a image/pixel filter) to turn the sky blue again (so it doesn't clip white anymore)

Steph
09-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Perhaps you could try this :
1-Duplicate the ship (Ship1 is the original ship and ship2 is the duplicated one). Ship1 will be use for render the ship only and ship2 will be use for render reflections only.
2-In the Ship1 objet properties, tab Render:check unseen by ray
3-In the Ship2 objet properties, tab Render: check unseen by camera and playing with the dissolve should put the amount of refection you need (if you want half reflection for the ship than for the sky, put 50% in the dissolve property of ship 2)

Excuse my bad english and hope it could help