PDA

View Full Version : Help...unable to editing config files??

Realimagesvideo
08-31-2007, 08:33 PM
I tried to edit my config files so that LW points to the network drive. This is critical because of network rendering. However, LW either crashes upon saving the new changes (consequently regenerating configs files pointing to local drive). I even edited config files manually in a text editor and save changes but the LW regenerates them back to their original content. What's up with that???

Silkrooster
09-02-2007, 05:52 PM
What version of lightwave do you have and are you on a windows or mac system?
I have never heard of that problem before. My guess is something in the config file is crupted. Maybe how you are entering the information for the network drive(guessing).
First thing I would do is delete the config files so lightwave is starting fresh. You may want to place the config files in a new location such as a dedicated folder.
If your file folders or filenames contain a space on a windows system you must use quotes.
Silk

Realimagesvideo
09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
What version of lightwave do you have and are you on a windows or mac system?
I have never heard of that problem before. My guess is something in the config file is crupted. Maybe how you are entering the information for the network drive(guessing).
First thing I would do is delete the config files so lightwave is starting fresh. You may want to place the config files in a new location such as a dedicated folder.
If your file folders or filenames contain a space on a windows system you must use quotes.
Silk

I have LW 9.3.
I tried changing the config files through modeler Atl+F10
I tried editing them directly through text editor
I do delete the files but LW recreates them with the local drive letter.
Configs files are in a seperate folder "configs".

Silkrooster
09-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Have you tried mapping the config file to a drive letter?
Have gone through Matt Gorners tutorials to see if you missed anything?
His tutorials can be found at http://www.silkrooster.com/matt_gorner/
Silk

mkiii
09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
It sounds like you may be confusing user configs saved from modeler with the config files loaded at startup by LW.

The files that modeler saves as config files are not loaded on startup, (apart from some tool settings), so it doesn't care where you put them. They are not the LW configs either. Alt f10 is just menu settings.

The LW config files for Layout, Modeler, and the hub are normally stored in your user folder (c:\documents and settings\yourname\ on Windows.

If you can't find them, right click on the Hub toolbar icon when it is running & look at the Launch Processes line. It will show you the current path to the app, and the config file location.

I assume by now that you know the command line on your shortcut is used to redirect LW to find different configs ( -c"newpath"). For example :-

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWavev9.3\Programs\modeler.exe" -c"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWavev9.2\Programs\myconfigs"

Remembering that the path following the -c might be a network drive.

One other thing... Make sure you have all LW parts shut down, including the hub before you go changing anything about your config files.

You might want to take a look at the LW HTML files in the Distributed Rendering & Network Rendering sections. All you need to know should be in there.

BeeVee
09-05-2007, 01:58 AM
Also, if you setup UNC paths for your plugins you need to turn off autoscanning for plugins when LightWave starts.

B

mkiii
09-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Not to mention that some plugins don't work at all over screamernet. Unless 9.3 has fixed them all.