PDA

View Full Version : The USB Shocked Me

Csion
08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Ive been trying to upgrade a friends system (software), its an HP something or other...about a year old...hardly used. weird thing is that all the ports shock the $%#@ out of me. the USBs..even the headphone jack...ive never had this problem...any advice?

brian.coates
08-31-2007, 05:53 PM
My advice: run, don't walk, to the nearest official service agent.

That sort of thing should never happen. Don't mess with electricity. It will kill you.

Seriously.

John the Geek
08-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Yeah, you got a wiring problem there. Something positive has contacted your ground and you are becoming part of the circuit when you touch it.

If you can feel it that much, it's not likely the harmless 12v DC kind of power either... The only place you'll come in contact with AC power is the power supply, which is very likely damaged.

Ugh, I agree with brian... get that thing to a trained tech quick.

Jim_C
08-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Has the grounding plug been snapped off of the plug end?
Or are they using a ground lift to plug into an old time outlet without a ground plug?

Both of those can cause what you describe. Not always, but I have seen it.

We can only hope it is that simple but it's probably as others have described above.

Jim

StevieB
08-31-2007, 08:21 PM
And I'm seriously hoping that the reason you havn't responded isn't a bad one.

Silkrooster
08-31-2007, 08:28 PM
The problem may not even be with the computer. It is possible the problem could be with the wiring in your house. I find it unlikely, but it is possible that the ground is hot, which would give you that kind of jolt.
So process of elimination is in order as most computer problems. Most hardware stores carry a small device that looks similar to an electrical plug, it has a few light on it and will tell you if your wiring is hooked up wrong. If the ground is showing hot, then have an electrician come and look at it. If it shows everything is ok, then the power supply would be next in order. This is assuming your household outlet is a normal 3 prong outlet and your computer plug has all three prongs.
Silk

Csion
09-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I noticed something else, the guys LCD monitor has areas that are discharging when touched...not a fun game...i dont have much about the workings of the power supply. ive only changed a few HDs and PCI cards.

thanks for the replies...im glad you guys are willing to help with your advice.

also a special thanks to StevieB for his concern...lol

John the Geek
09-02-2007, 06:16 AM
I noticed something else, the guys LCD monitor has areas that are discharging when touched...not a fun game...

the monitor cable would draw the ground current as well just like the USB does. Get it looked at, quick.

Medi8or
09-02-2007, 09:28 AM
..unless it's the other way around. Or other faulty equipment on the same powerstrip/extensioncord, and not grounded wallsocket...? :)

Silkrooster
09-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I noticed something else, the guys LCD monitor has areas that are discharging when touched...not a fun game...i dont have much about the workings of the power supply. ive only changed a few HDs and PCI cards.

thanks for the replies...im glad you guys are willing to help with your advice.

also a special thanks to StevieB for his concern...lol
Sounds more like the ground is hot. A power supply has a transformer than isolates the 110 volts and steps it down to around 12 volts give or take. It also has some diodes to change the alternating current to direct current (think sine wave to linear) and keeps the current going in one direction. It may have some capacitors and transistors to help regulate the voltage.
The ground from your household outlet is the only wire that bypasses the power supply. Each component in the computer that requires grounding like your drives connect to that ground.
Silk

Csion
09-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Yesterday I got a chance to go by. After getting behind his cabinet I found out that the 5-plug power strip (nothing special about it, that I could tell) they were using had the 3rd prong torn off...Geez. So I replaced it, with one of my own (I'm so generous...hehe).
After that, using the best method I could think of, I plugged an iPod in and licked the metal casing...No zap, is all good now!

Thanks to you all. I'm glad the community so willing to help.

-JCanuet

John the Geek
09-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah, if you've ever placed a 9-volt battery on your tongue then you know its a very sensitive tester for electricity. I don't think I'd have been that confident, but hey, to each their own.

Matt
09-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Don't mess with electricity. It will kill you.

Great bit of advice that! To the point, Ozzie style!

:D

Silkrooster
09-04-2007, 07:36 PM
After that, using the best method I could think of, I plugged an iPod in and licked the metal casing...No zap, is all good now!

Thanks to you all. I'm glad the community so willing to help.

-JCanuet
I would love to watch you test the spark on an engine. :jester:
Silk

mkiii
09-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Here... just hold these 2 wires..... I want to see if there's a spark. :)

I gotta say for all the kiddies reading this... Testing an electrical fault by licking the device could earn you a place in this years Darwin Awards.

mrunion
09-06-2007, 11:42 AM
He probably test spark like all us Hillbillies in my neck of the woods do -- put little finger of either hand into spark plug wire hole, place thumb of same hand on end of spark plug itself, have buddy crank engine. If it tingles you got fire!

Watch out for the fan blades though!

Andyjaggy
09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah you are a brave ma sticking your tounge on that thing!!! I've been shocked once from a wall socket and it made my whole right side tingly and numb. That was enough fun for me.

Silkrooster
09-06-2007, 04:49 PM
He probably test spark like all us Hillbillies in my neck of the woods do -- put little finger of either hand into spark plug wire hole, place thumb of same hand on end of spark plug itself, have buddy crank engine. If it tingles you got fire!

Watch out for the fan blades though!
Didn't ya know you are suppose to let your buddy grab a hold of the end of the spark plug. Then you can point and laugh.
Silk

Silkrooster
09-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah you are a brave ma sticking your tounge on that thing!!! I've been shocked once from a wall socket and it made my whole right side tingly and numb. That was enough fun for me.
The worst I ever got it, I was about 10 and grab both hands on an electric fence. It had to be unpluged so I could let go.
Silk

mrunion
09-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Oh...."I" was supposed to crank the engine and let my buddy check for fire! Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong....

Waves of light
09-07-2007, 07:50 AM
I plugged an iPod in and licked the metal casing...No zap

I started laughing at that, but then realised it could be quite serious. You silly barstool, were you trying the same trick when testing a 9V battery (by licking the pos and neg ends)?

Seriously kids, don't mess. I took apart my old Amiga 500 (yes, I'm old.. deal with it) and its power supply had something wrong. The power supply was on and I had the plastic casing off... then my stupid human reaction for wanting to get up from the floor was to put my hand out and down on to the floor... whoops - hand on open capacitor inside power supply, the shock was enough to send me flying back towards my bed.

I never ever mess inside PCs, unless earth strapped.