PDA

View Full Version : read -only

juli51
08-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Has somebody exerienced trying to save a file in LW 9.3 modeler and getting always the same answer, ......" this file is read only, would you like to save with another name, etc...."....?

Scazzino
08-31-2007, 01:52 PM
In the past sometimes the hub caused that... but it can also be caused by changing a folder name in the Finder of a currently open file, or any folder along the current path to the open files... I've done that myself a few times before, where I updated folder names and then LW loses track of where the model files are. In that case the error dialog is wrong, it's not really a read-only error, but a file not found error...

If it's the hub, you can rename the hub before launching and it won't open, but then you don't get the Layout-Modeler link...

juli51
08-31-2007, 02:23 PM
no problem for loosing the link bettwen modeler and layout. i do never use it..

juli51
08-31-2007, 03:25 PM
sorry again, but I renamed the hub and launched modeler again, and still have the same prblem,.. every new save I will be said again: read-only etc.... hub is not lauched,.... so?????

Sarford
08-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Could it be that you copied those scenes from a CD? Because a CD is set to read only after burning, sometimes when you copy files from CD they keep the 'read only' flag. You can change that easely by selecting the file in finder, hit option-i and unselect the read-only flag.

juli51
08-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Im just using my recently last proyects, selfmade in same computer an with LW 9.2. I tryed allready this about changing the labes but still not working, and now its even worse, modeler ask me for every single texture wen loading an object, I think there must be some new seting in content directory wich unables Lw 9.3 to recognice the file paht,....

gerry_g
08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Sarffords answer is probably the correct one, some files I duplicated to a second machine exhibited this problem, although user accounts and logins were identical the files ended up read only, apply the change to the header folder and then use the 'apply to enclosed items' button and enter your password when prompted. There is an option to set file paths to automatic in the paths section of prefs but that should be on by default already, the only other options are to enter a current directory path or set up custom ones, but I'm having no problems sharing files between two machines running two different versions of LW

Sarford
09-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Are you using the PPC or the UB version of LW? And what if you open those same files in LW 9.2 does that work without a problem?

If you use the PPC version of 9.3, then trash your prefs couse that's propably running things amok.

If it opens without a problem in 9.2, try to save it again and try again in 9.3. Make sure you save in the latest version possible in 9.2.

If all this doesn't help, open the scene in 9.3, and try to save a copy of it. Or if that doesn't work, kill objects from the scene, one by one and try to save the scene again after each kill. Maybe an object did go bad?

juli51
09-02-2007, 02:39 AM
for the moment I still testing the escenes, sme work fine some go bad,... and in mmodeler too some 9.2 objects go bad and other fine but I would say it has something to do with the paht...maybe it's too long or something like that and Modeler, or Layout can't fint it so easy

juli51
09-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Ok,..I found the problem. in LW 9.2 i used to write the price of the proyect at the end of the name's proyect in the folder proyect, and of course I wroted also the sing "", and that's the problem, without the "" or maybe any other extrange symbol, LW 9.3 doesn't found the path to Object or Scene.

So be aware other people with the same problem, hope helps....