PDA

View Full Version : Major Open Gl Problems With 9.3 Ub!!

dranos
08-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Ok, I recently installed 9.3 and I must say it was worth every penny. Everything moved faster and render speeds have more than doubled. The problem is that ever since restarting the machine Lightwave's Open GL performance just got sluggish. In fact, some items ranging from the camera to modeled objects just dont appear in Layout. Even switching between display options has delays.

I tried opening the same file in 8.5 and it was fine. Why is the Open GL performance behaving this way?

Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm running 9.3 on a 2.66 DP MacPro with 3 GIGs of Ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card.

Scazzino
08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
If you have GLSL on in LW try turning it off... that has been known to really gag things down on LW Mac...

juli51
08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
dear friends, where do I find the GLSL to deactivate it too...?

Scazzino
08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
dear friends, where do I find the GLSL to deactivate it too...?

Sorry about that... it's in the Preferences panel on the OpenGL tab on the Shading Method pop-up. At least on all my systems (with ATI video boards) GLSLShaders really gags them so setting it to MultitextureShaders instead speeds things up...

:goodluck:

juli51
08-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks, I got it,.. any other triks to speed up open GL in LW 9.3?,..... will be very welcome.

Scazzino
08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks, I got it,.. any other triks to speed up open GL in LW 9.3?,..... will be very welcome.

If it starts to bog down, turn down your bounding box threshold...

juli51
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
sorry again, but back from summer hollydays, I'm not much into LW,.. where do I find bounding box threshold...?... I meant speed up open GL in modeler,...

avkills
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Hmm, I'll have to try that also Scazzino even though I think the performance isn't quite "there" yet.

-mark

Scazzino
08-31-2007, 01:39 PM
sorry again, but back from summer hollydays, I'm not much into LW,.. where do I find bounding box threshold...?... I meant speed up open GL in modeler,...

Oh, sorry about that... that's in Layout not modeler...

Scazzino
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Another thing in layout to speed things up in OpenGL is to turn off Show Motion Paths as well as any OpenGL effects you don't really need to see. Keep textures as low as you need them, and switch viewports your not currently using to Bounding Box mode or Vertices, or even go into single viewport mode...

juli51
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
No problem, by the way, preset panel in LW 9.3 is empty, some idea how to charge the presets included in this new version?

Scazzino
08-31-2007, 01:46 PM
No problem, by the way, preset panel in LW 9.3 is empty, some idea how to charge the presets included in this new version?

I'm not sure if the download had presets or not (since I copied my old ones anyway)... you can just copy the old presets from the LW9.2 Programs folder to the LW9.3 programs folder if you're talking about the LW9.3 CFM version. For the LW9.3 UB version you could copy them into the SharedSupport folder, I think they are the same as the CFM version...

BTW: Make sure you open the Surface Editor before opening the Presets panel or you won't see your surface presets anyway... The Presets panel is context sensitive and only shows presets for the currently active editor...

juli51
08-31-2007, 01:50 PM
mine is UB donwload version, and the presets, the ones from LW 9.3 are just there in the right sharedsupport folder: sharedsupport>surface preset...
That's why im surprised not to find them in Presets modeler????

juli51
08-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok,.. sorry, it preset panel work on modeler but is empty in layout.

Scazzino
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Ok,.. sorry, it preset panel work on modeler but is empty in layout.

Make sure you open the Surface Editor in Layout before opening the presets in Layout...

This is one of the problems with the current structure of Layout vs. Modeler as two separate apps, both with identical windows, and no way to tell which is which... This causes a problem on the Mac since the windows are all loose within the system where on Windows they are all inside the program window. This is one reason I wish we had two different GUI background colors for Layout and Modeler. That way it would be clear which surface editor or presets panel you are currently looking at... Right now you can get in a situation where there's no way to tell which is which...

:eek:

juli51
08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Right,.. so if you really want to use preset panel in modeler for example, you have to close layout and maybe also restart modeler....

Scazzino
08-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Right,.. so if you really want to use preset panel in modeler for example, you have to close layout and maybe also restart modeler....

No, you can use them both, but they are both identical, so when they are both open on screen they can be confusing... I've sometimes double-clicked on a preset on the preset window intending to load a preset into a surface in layout, but had it load into the surface in modeler because I lost track of which window was which... Since then I've gotten into the habit of opening Layout's surface editor and preset panels on one monitor and Modeler's on the other monitor of my dual monitor setup. This just helps me keep track of what I'm doing when working with both open...

dranos
08-31-2007, 02:56 PM
If you have GLSL on in LW try turning it off... that has been known to really gag things down on LW Mac...

Sorry but that didn't make a difference. Infact mine was set to "Multitexture shaders". What else can I try? I literally cannot see the object yet when I render a frame it's right there.

dranos
08-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Just got off the phone with a Tech support agent. Problem solved. It turns out that Layout in UB cannot process VERY large objects well. After scaling down the object in Modeler by nearly 200%, it worked. Layout sees it fine and all is well in the world.

Thanks Tech Support.

Scazzino
09-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Just got off the phone with a Tech support agent. Problem solved. It turns out that Layout in UB cannot process VERY large objects well. After scaling down the object in Modeler by nearly 200%, it worked. Layout sees it fine and all is well in the world.

Thanks Tech Support.

Glad that tech support was able to help you get it working! :thumbsup:

How large was the object?

dranos
09-01-2007, 10:27 AM
I think it was about 50 somthing Km long.

toby
09-01-2007, 02:19 PM
What a lot of people don't realize is that the speed-up in Layout happened to the Shaded modes and not Wireframe mode. If you have any viewports left on Wireframe it slows them all down - set them all to Shaded or Texture. I've had more than a million polys spinning around really fast this way.