PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for a student

oogsmash
08-31-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm a student in Art Institute's Game Design bachelor's degree program. They have me using 3ds Max, which isn't my favorite program, but I digress. I'd like to expand my skillset from just using 3ds. Right now I'm wavering between XSI and LW. I understand that XSI has a large userbase, and that's great, but I have some experience with LW, so maybe I wouldn't have quite as much to learn. And time is on a premium for me right now :D .

Here are my questions.
1. How well does LW work with game design? I know what' XSI's game tools are, but I'm unfamiliar with LW's.
2. Can anyone compare the LW renderer with Mental Ray (which is what I understand XSI is using now)?
3. Finally, any reasons I should buy LW over XSI?

I'm not asking for a LW vs XSI thread, that's just stupid. But I have a few bucks left, and an academic copy of LW9 isn't that expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Steamthrower
08-31-2007, 11:16 AM
1. I think about as well as XSI. Except rigging might be slightly harder. In my opinion it's a much better modeler.
2. Lightwave's internal renderer is absolutely fantastic. It is my favorite renderer in any 3D app...I would use it over anything. Some people also swear by Fprime.
3. Price, intuitiveness, and MOST OF ALL: the Lightwave community is very nice and very helpful ;)

Andyjaggy
08-31-2007, 11:31 AM
1. I've done a little game stuff and it is usually pretty easy to model in LW and then transfer to whatever format it needs to be in. I like modeling in LW alot, and supposedly the LW modeler is supposed to be getting updated soon.
2. I have very limited experience with MR so I can't really say how it compares to LW's engine but I can tell you that you won't be dissapointed with the LW rendering engine. It's very easy and very quick to get great results.
3. Cause LW is cool.

oogsmash
08-31-2007, 11:48 AM
That right there is an excellent argument for buying :lwicon: - the fact that I actually got replies to my question. And quick. Thanks!

Kryos
08-31-2007, 11:57 AM
And that's the way it goes around here, at any given time, there are a ton of lurkers waiting behind cloaked veils to sneak up on you and answer your questions.

Tiger
08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Check out Johnny Palchetti-International Game Technology.

http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2007/index.php

Sande
08-31-2007, 02:30 PM
I understand that XSI has a large userbase, and that's great, but I have some experience with LW, so maybe I wouldn't have quite as much to learn. And time is on a premium for me right now :D .

I've thought that the XSI userbase is still relatively small?
If you already have some experience with LightWave and time is of the essence, then I would suggest going with the LightWave. It is relatively easy to learn and the community really is helpful.

I work as an artist in the game industry and LightWave works well for us. We have ex-Max user in the team also, who seemed to learn LW pretty fast. :)

Andyjaggy
08-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Also it seems like a lot of users actually use LW AND XSI. Especially when it comes to animation, as LW's current tools are a bit. Um. Lacking. The two programs work rather well together, or so I hear.

Steamthrower
08-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Really, Mr. Oogsmash, with as nice as we all are, there should be no doubt in your mind. Please, join the Club of Dongleheads and join in the fray.

*note: do I get free "NewTek Points" if I help sell a copy of LW?!?!?