PDA

View Full Version : How do I adjust a rig that uses gimbal bones?

Nicolas Jordan
08-30-2007, 03:59 PM
I am attempting to resize and reposition a skeleton from a .bvh file that uses gimbal bones to match a models pose. I have tried joint move with no success. I have attached the files that I am working on. Any help with this is appreciated.

SplineGod
08-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Use layouts bone tools. You can resize a complete rig or any part of a heirarchy in a rig.

Nicolas Jordan
08-31-2007, 08:56 AM
I didn't have any problems resizing the rig with scale hierarchy but once I tried to use tools like joint move and tip move to move the joints into place it became a real ordeal. When selecting multiple bones and using joint move I got the "ERROR: No parent bone found in selected bones." So I then selected the parent bones for those as well wich would be the small gimbal bones. I then got the message "ERROR: For JointMover, selected bones must consist of either one single bone, or one parent and one or more child bones of that parent." I then selected a long string of bones with the parent and it's child bones and got he same message. I want to move the joints and have them meat up perfectly. If there is no way around this it looks like I will have to alter each bone individually and just eye the joints which can be a long and meticulous task.

I have used Joint Move on a typical rig before without any problems.

SplineGod
08-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Copy the motions off the from the rig which you can do with motion mixer, IKBoost, or DStorms HMOT save plugin. Blowout the motions on the rig and make the rig fit the character.
Now reapply the motions back tinto the new rig using motion mixer, IKBoost or DStorms Map Motion 2 plugin.
You can also create a rig whose bones reference the mocap rigs bones using relativity. The relativity based motions can be baked and relativity removed.

Nicolas Jordan
08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Copy the motions off the from the rig which you can do with motion mixer, IKBoost, or DStorms HMOT save plugin. Blowout the motions on the rig and make the rig fit the character.
Now reapply the motions back tinto the new rig using motion mixer, IKBoost or DStorms Map Motion 2 plugin.
You can also create a rig whose bones reference the mocap rigs bones using relativity. The relativity based motions can be baked and relativity removed.

Thanks, I will give that a try. :)