PDA

View Full Version : Lip Sync with .wav file

p0per
08-29-2007, 02:04 PM
I've been looking aroundin lightwave for a way to control an endomorph with a wav file. I want to use this to lip sync a character I'm working on and figured this would be the quickest way to get this effect. I know there is a controller in 3d max to do this so I was hoping that there was something similiar in Lightwave.

Dodgy
08-29-2007, 04:27 PM
If you open the envelope for the morph you want to control in the graph editor, click the Modifiers tab, and Add Modifier then look for Audio Channel. In there you can choose the wav and scale the output, offset it, etc.

p0per
08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
That worked great but because I'm trying to get a two part conversation going there is silence in each of the tracks when the other one is talking. The problem with this is that I can't scale up the mouth movement so that the jaw moves noticeably. The effect that I'm getting is the person's jaw is mostly open and just barely moving up and down when they're talking.

Glendalough
08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
You can enter a higher number in the Waveform Scale on the Audio Channel tab, if this is what you are doing???

p0per
08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
That works for making the file have more definition but it also pushes the base line down under 0 so the chin wants to collapse in. The main problem seems to be keeping the base when the character isn't talking above 0 but still having enough change in the wave form.

Glendalough
08-31-2007, 03:20 PM
That works for making the file have more definition but it also pushes the base line down under 0 so the chin wants to collapse in. The main problem seems to be keeping the base when the character isn't talking above 0 but still having enough change in the wave form.

Actually, I've done an awful amount of work on trying to sync sound in this way to movement. Found it only so effectual, one thing I did was bake the sound movement onto keyframes and then delete bits I didn't want or delete between certain movements.

Also feed the sound movement through a texture set on the movement to more easily control it. Think only the volume of the sound is coming through really. (Someone did a very complicated tutorial on this somewhere) Maybe the sound file itself could be edited advantageously someway??

Would be interested to see if you get it to work!

UnCommonGrafx
08-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Heck yeah, Glendalough!

Don't let the computer do ALL the work -- step in and take control!

Bake it out; massage the keys in the graph editor: you will be amazed how quick it is; and then you have the ultimate in control over what that jaw is doing.

Don't forget to play with softfx for a fleshier character: makes a double chin swagger in its glory.

;)

p0per
09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
the baking method works great. it's not that complicated and still works well for the lip sync. now it actually looks like they're talking instead of drooling at each other.