PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave & Digital Domain!!!

Samus
08-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi guy's ,

I tend from time to time check Digital domain "Behind the scenes" section,
Well there is a lot of LWS!! be sure to check them all its worth it!! :

Among many : Halo , Zodiac , Gears of war ect.....

http://www.digitaldomain.com/

toby
08-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Among many : Halo , Zodiac , Gears of war ect.....

Those weren't done in Lightwave, except for the ground and background characters in Halo. The rest was Vray, and so was Zodiac. G.o.W. was a game engine.

Samus
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes , in some case Lw is Part in the process and in others used as renderer,
What i mean is that Lw is in the HOUSE!!! Digital Domain uses a lot of different
softwares like maya and such...

Cheers

creativecontrol
08-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes, they've been a pretty nice LW supporter for many years. I think they even helped develop the "Enhanced" anti-aliasing many years ago. I know they used it on Titanic quite a bit and lot's of other stuff since.

Cageman
08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Those weren't done in Lightwave, except for the ground and background characters in Halo. The rest was Vray, and so was Zodiac. G.o.W. was a game engine.

The interresting part about DD and their use of LightWave is that they want LightWave-artists that has experience in working with V-Ray...

I wonder why....

Cageman
08-30-2007, 02:15 PM

Still, they used LW to set things up, right?

Pavlov
08-30-2007, 02:26 PM
The interresting part about DD and their use of LightWave is that they want LightWave-artists that has experience in working with V-Ray...
I wonder why....

This is very interesting. Maybe they coded their own port of Vray to LW, i'd like to know more.

Paolo

Cageman
08-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Still, they used LW to set things up, right?

I was refering to G.o.W.. alot of LW-previews in that one...

Matt
08-30-2007, 02:32 PM
I think LW is used a lot for pre-vis, but not final rendering.

Cageman
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
This is very interesting. Maybe they coded their own port of Vray to LW, i'd like to know more.

Paolo

Yep... actually, they have made some very nice in-house tools (Nuke and Storm), so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a V-Ray exporter for LW. Thinking about it, didn't MAAS write his own RIB-exporter for LW so that he could render that Mars-landing movie with RMan?

Cageman
08-30-2007, 02:39 PM
I think LW is used a lot for pre-vis, but not final rendering.

I think it depends on the project. The Addidas commercial, as far as I know, was rendered in LW, and there are several more of those commercials that I think were rendered in LW. Oh, and yeah... if they didn't use LW for any rendering, I find it funny that people over at DD found the new AA and MBlur very usefull. :)

jin choung
08-30-2007, 03:07 PM
ummm,

in case it needs to be said, toby worked at DD so... uhhhh... i'd trust him.

jin

Cageman
08-30-2007, 03:15 PM
ummm,

in case it needs to be said, toby worked at DD so... uhhhh... i'd trust him.

jin

And if you look at the videos from Gears of War you also see that there is alot of LW... :)

But I guess previs doesn't count as use in a production?

Captain Obvious
08-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Digital Domain is a very strange place.

Lightwolf
08-30-2007, 04:36 PM
But I guess previs doesn't count as use in a production?
No, it doesn't. Real men don't do previz ;) :D

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
08-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Previz, story boards, precomps, etc, are for wusses! Real men go from concept to final render (in ONE pass!) directly, with no steps inbetween!

Lightwolf
08-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Previz, story boards, precomps, etc, are for wusses! Real men go from concept to final render (in ONE pass!) directly, with no steps inbetween!
High five... my man! :beerchug:

Cheers,
Mike *rips out chest hair* 8~

theo
08-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Hehe... and there are a lot of insane real men as a result. :thumbsup:

Verlon
08-30-2007, 08:45 PM
previs? What's that? It sounds french...like quiche. I have nothing to do with that. Any of you previs types want some chest hair? Maybe you can trade it for a real render experience.

jin choung
08-30-2007, 09:21 PM
what in the previs video indicates to you that it's lightwave? there's nothing i can see....

jin

toby
08-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I forgot about the pre-viz in GoW, it is LW, at least partially.
And DD does have a LW to VRay export plugin, but they didn't write it - it's called Max...

Most of the vray shows are all Max.

Cageman
08-31-2007, 12:08 AM
what in the previs video indicates to you that it's lightwave? there's nothing i can see....

jin

If you look at the G.o.W Behind The Scenes, you can see those gray previews. In the bottom left, you can see an intricate name followed by .lws and in the bottom right, you see a frame-counter. If you open Render Globals you should find something called Overlay; that is what is used, and while other packages have similar functionality, LWs really look different. It is somewhat a trademark and a giveaway to what was used. I've attached a screengrab. :)

If you want, take a look at all thier Commercial Behind The Scenes, and you will see this type of previews in several of them. ;)

Cageman
08-31-2007, 12:10 AM
I forgot about the pre-viz in GoW, it is LW, at least partially.
And DD does have a LW to VRay export plugin, but they didn't write it - it's called Max...

Most of the vray shows are all Max.

That makes sense! Thanks for sharing the information. :thumbsup: