PDA

View Full Version : Simple Skin & Animation problem

APeery
08-28-2007, 04:05 PM
When I first render a object surfaced with simple skin, it looks fine. When I rotate it, polygons that had their back to the camera in the first render now appear black, and remain black if I move the object again. I can turn the whole object black if I move it enough. It feels as if rendering itself actually changes poly surfaces. What am I missing?

Here is a ball. Settings pretty much default: simple skin, double sided polys, raytraces on, etc. This is the 2nd render with ball rotated 90. The 1st render was at 0 and looked fine.

SplineGod
08-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Try turning off doublesided

APeery
08-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Solved it! Just downloaded 9.3 & Simple Skin works OK. It really was a bug in 9.2. And I wasted hours trying figure out what I was doing wrong.
By the way, it needs to be double sided.

SplineGod
08-29-2007, 11:45 PM
One of the new things in 9.3 is that you dont have to use double sided on most things.

jasonwestmas
09-01-2007, 08:14 AM
One of the new things in 9.3 is that you dont have to use double sided on most things.Really? That's not true for simple skin. I thought the deal was that you simply did not have to use air pollies with nodes that needed them before for glass and sss. We never needed air polys for Simple Skin.

serge
09-01-2007, 08:35 AM
....We never needed air polys for Simple Skin.
We never needed air-polys for anything since we have nodes. The statement "no more air-polys" I read as "no more double-sided trickery". In 9.3 a ray knows when it's hitting the backside of a poly, right? Why wouldn't a SSS-shader make use of that knowledge?

jasonwestmas
09-01-2007, 10:24 AM
We never needed air-polys for anything since we have nodes. The statement "no more air-polys" I read as "no more double-sided trickery". In 9.3 a ray knows when it's hitting the backside of a poly, right? Why wouldn't a SSS-shader make use of that knowledge?

True but in 9.2 we still needed to use either air polys or use the spot info node to define the thickness of the air. My point was that we never needed to do that with simple skin but we still need to use double sided for simple skin in 9.3 to work. Or maybe that's only with Fprime. I'll test later with 9.3.

jasonwestmas
09-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I was wrong, you don't need double sided checked for the lightwave 9.3 render only with Fprime do you need it checked.

KeystoneMike
09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Also new to 9.3 are a couple Material nodes that do some pre-processing before render time. Sigma2 and Fast Skin both do this, and because of this you probably won't get the same result with these and FPrime either.

Scazzino
09-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Really? That's not true for simple skin. I thought the deal was that you simply did not have to use air pollies with nodes that needed them before for glass and sss. We never needed air polys for Simple Skin.

That's what I thought too, but apparently not quite.

You still need double sided for the Omega SSS node at least. I tend to use that one because it's the only non-material real SSS node... and it still needs double sided to do its stuff...

:chicken: